Author Topic: Anyone try or buy the new Werner Race paddle "Grand prix" ??  (Read 7441 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I just found out about these paddles and my friend is sending me a M 1000 bent shaft to try. The straight shaft  s 1000  is 14.5 oz !!

http://wernerpaddles.com/paddles/stand_up/performance_core/grand_prix_s1000/

Designed and manufactured specifically for racing, the Grand Prix S1000 features a smaller Performance Core blade. Perfect for the smaller paddler or those looking to be especially gentle to their body. Absolutely the lightest training and racing paddle available.
Small-sized rectangular blade shape allows for the most efficient forward stroke
Perfect for smaller paddlers or those looking to match blade size to board glide
Thin ABS reinforce blade edge knifes cleanly in and out of the water
Optimized blade-to-shaft offset at 12 degrees, allows for a more vertical blade position which increases power throughout the stroke and less lift at the exit
Carbon Palm-style grip for a good fit and controlled strokes
Recommended for racing. We do not recommend this paddle for surfing or whitewater.
Surface Area   91 sq in
Blade Length x Width   18.75 in x 7.25 in
Weight for 78in
1-Piece   411g / 14.5oz
Bent Shaft   510g / 18oz
Recommended Length   add 10 in for racing over height
Available Lengths: 1in increments
1-Piece   66-90in
Bent Shaft   74-85in

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone try or buy the new Werner Race paddle "Grand prix" ??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »
Interesting.  Sounds like we have a horse race.  KeNalu Wiki @ 78" would weigh ~420 - 428 grams. 

Note the 2nd most important thing that they cite was weight of paddle.  Good for them. 

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »
I can not wait till paddles are filled with helium and it literally will float in mid air next to you! Also, when are they coming out with flying cars? I was lied too as a kid!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:07:37 PM by SteamboatBORN »

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
I've been using the M1000 for almost a year for racing and most non-surf paddling. I love the Werner handles. The shaft is very stiff, I used it on a 22-mile paddle and it tore my shoulders up although the super light weight was nice after 5+ hours of paddling.  For racing, it's great. For leisure paddling its also great. It's the longer distance stuff (not downwind) that I am looking to get a new paddle for but overall I'm very happy with it.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »
Agree with kayadogg on the stiffness. Very stiff shaft so a bit hard on the shoulders. I had the large straight shaft Grand Prix. Very light paddle. I think lighter than my wife's Wiki. Although just going by feel.

I ended selling it as it was too similar to my Toro. I prefer the Kialoa oval shaft. One thing to consider is the blade is very long. Depending on your stroke, getting the blade buried before you pull can be difficult. Keep that in account before you cut the shaft.

All in all I felt it was a high quality light paddle. Was not crazy about the large shaft thickness or the blade off set, but many people love those features.

Cheers!

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »
I am getting the m1000 in a bent shaft which for long paddles is very easy on the shoulders. we will see how it works. this might be one of the paddle I use in the Molokai to Oahu race.

I have a bent shaft fuse which is 110 sq inches and it feels a little big sometimes, i'm hoping the m1000 at 98 sq inches will be the ticket doing distance down wind.

stvandev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Figured I should weigh in on this one, I'm 6'3" and 195 lbs.  I've trained and raced with both the KeNalu Maliko (elite, 100 flex shaft, extended T handle) and the Werner m1000 straight shaft; both at about 85" now.  They are very different paddles.  I got the Werner with the intention to compare with the KeNalu to figure out what was the faster race paddle for me.

The KeNalu has a very big catch and seems to punish bad technique, I seemed to notice this especially when I was tired in a race.  I also had some elbow strain from the KeNalu, but my elbow is nowhere near normal; completely rebuilt following a mtn bike accident 12 years ago and the arm doesn't straighten all the way and it was only the bad elbow that was strained the other one was fine.  When you're on your game with the KeNalu it feels good with a nice whip at the finish of the stroke and a locked in power phase.  I really like the shark skin texture on the shaft, but now find the shaft diameter a bit small.  Downwinding the KeNalu is great and I think the blade shape may be a bit more friendly for bracing.

When I first got the KeNalu I thought it was light, then I got the Werner which is noticeably lighter.  The blade area is about the same but different shaped, the Werner shaft is larger diameter but smooth.  I've been using the Werner almost exclusively for the last 6 weeks (4 races now), but have used the KeNalu for comparison during that time.  I think the Werner is a faster race paddle as it is more forgiving of tired technique, and it is probably as fast when my technique is good.  The blade doesn't feel as locked in a the KeNalu but that it not necessarily a bad thing as long as you're not fighting it.  The catch has a different feel and sound, and needs to be a bit quicker into the water than the KeNalu.  I think the larger offset of the blade while needing a bit quicker catch is what allows it to be more forgiving.  I'm feeling fresher at the end of races and I don't get the bogged down feeling when I know I'm getting tired and my technique is not perfect.  At this point my plan is to keep mainly using the Werner.  I've also had less shoulder and elbow strain with the Werner.  Still getting used to the Werner for downwinding but feeling better with it for sure, works great for this as well.

Bottom line, both good paddles but different.  I think the Werner is a faster race paddle at least for me, and the reduced strain is a game changer.  The shaft flex has a similar feel, which is about right on both.  It comes down to what you're looking for in a race paddle and what suits your technique; for me now the Werner is the choice.  Hope that helped a bit.  I haven't tried the Quikblade or Kialoa paddles, so I can't compare those.
Focus SUP Hawaii Ambassador

skyfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »
A really nice piece of gear. The longer blade is like having two gears....deep in goes full power, half way in for higher cadence/resting. Very light yet strong, DO NOT USE FOR SURF!   I use the m1000, the L was a bit too much for my shoulder. 5'10  200 53 yo

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
I tried the Werner M1000 this weekend while Demoing a JL stiletto 14....I used my Kenalu wiki and then tried a guys Werner Bent shaft M1000........Never used a Bent shaft before, but Man...I LIKED it....the board went faster using that paddle than with my Wiki Kenalu 100 flex shaft......Partly because the blade has more area on the Werner...but the whole Bent shaft thing was nice, I thought....I'm getting one...but not giving up on the Kenalu yet....:D....I have the Molaki Blade also for the Kenalu. 
Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Anyone try or buy the new Werner Race paddle "Grand prix" ??
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »
I was always faster with my 2011 carbon  Bent Nitro than my Wiki, but started to dislike the Nitro the more I paddled the Wiki, especially the large diameter shaft and the extra weight. Sold the Werner, I'm a bit slower but happier. Would still like to try a 2013 version, especially if its lighter and they changed the smooth texture - gave me hot hands and blisters.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
The newest Grand Prix's (2014) feature an all-carbon handle, making them even lighter.

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
And their made in the USA!
--
Bill

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal