Author Topic: Olukai race on sat  (Read 14652 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olukai race on sat
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »
We have a bunch of California boys here to race our famous run from Maliko.  And from all over people have come to get a few runs in early to warm up.  Unfortunately, in our ongoing syndrome of crossing lows, the wind has cut out since last week.

I finally paddled today in ultra glass, my first run since PBill and I did one at the end of the last wind episode in the middle of last week.  He ditched me and moved back to HR but I did get to paddle his very Hawaiian colored (yellow and red) V2 he left behind.  Paddled it today and it was really cool.  Low front end didn't bump like my V1. 

Water surface almost appeared fuzzy and I had to focus on horizon so as not to get vertigo.  Did a long run and showed my Canadian friend where the channel is to cross the reef to the finish and then paddled back.

The crack in the reef that is the channel isn't wide but I'd recommend overshooting than under shooting on the entrance.  There's a mean boil rock that was sucking dry today on what will be the upwind side of the outer channel entrance ...with a half foot plus tide. 

Good news is that if Surfline is correct on tides, there should be a foot plus when we cross the reef.  So that means, if the surf isn't stacked up along the reef, then one could straight line it across to the finish, if they felt lucky and were good at surfing whatever length board they were using. 

On the other hand, a fall equals at least 30 secs. and if you're tangled up in that surf breaking over shallow water, the current can be quite strong, resulting in an even longer recovery.  The forecast is for the wind to just be coming up on sat so there shouldn't be much residual trade wind generated surf.  But there is a NNW swell forecast (5' on Oahu, much less here).  This could result in some waves and if they are even a few feet, it can be a challenge with a race board. 

This will be the Dirty Harry part of the race.

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Olukai race on sat
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »
I think the winds are going to manifest for us on Sat.  On the upside it'll be a typical tradewind direction as opposed to no hope.

These recent cold fronts are just killing it this year

Kissa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »
Who are the favourites?
Are there any international hotties turning up to race or will it be a contest between the local legends?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
The usual suspects?

Connor,  Kai Lenny, Livio, Dave K., Danny Ching, Travis Grant if he shows up (didn't see his name in the channels this year, but one can hope), Jeremy, Jamie Mitchell was here last year,  Kai Bartlett is super fit - if he jumps on a standup he will fly.  Maybe Slater Trout is in town, he did very well in outrigger at the Imua last weekend.     

Undoubtedly more, that's off the top of my head.  I don't know who is racing.  But probably a lot of them.  It's a big race.  Both days will see a very high level of competition. 

As for the ladies, they love this race because they get equal money as the guys.  Andrea Moeller is probably the favorite.  I'm guessing Talia Gangini, Devin, maybe Anabelle Anderson is in town?  Dane Ward is one of our best outrigger paddlers, she usually does the standup too.  The elite ladies here are super fast. 
Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
Who are the favourites?
Are there any international hotties turning up to race or will it be a contest between the local legends?

Ha.  That's funny coming from you Kissa.     You can't fool us... You're the favorite.  In a short race like this, I'd pick you to be right in there.

Today is still hot doldrums.  We're all hoping for the big turn around tomorrow.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:28:15 PM »
Here is your tide.  Race time is between the red lines.  

I think you guys will have some current.   I'd keep an eye on the usual suspects.  If you see them all bolting for the outside, it may be worth your while to gradually work your way out.  Those guys don't take chances with the currents - they have them dialed.  I don't know how that tide works for the run to kanaha.  We usually stay a bit further out for the harbor.  I've heard elite paddlers say 'low tide inside, high tide outside." But again, that's to the harbor entrance.  

If you decide to do a straight shot across the shallowest part of the reef, you should be fine for water depth.  Maybe that's what the elite's will do, I have no idea.  But I'd definitely follow them with that tide.  3 hours from low tide is plenty of time for the water to start moving around.  

The wind is looking like a NE, rather than ENE.  NE usually means lighter at the beginning, with the wind increasing as you go.      

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:30:24 PM by LaPerouseBay »

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:44:01 PM »
Good to know

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »
we are planning on going to Maliko later in the day, hoping the expected winds to begin to manifest!!!  Staying at the Maui Banyan, we pick up our trailers from the docks tomorrow morning

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
Here's a wind forcast site for Maui county.  As you scroll through the time, it shows the NE trades starting to fill in Friday.  It also shows how NE wind accelerates through the valley, lighting up the downwind conditions on the south shore. 

ENE winds do a similar acceleration down the coast at maliko.  They mash into Haleakala and get compressed - accelerating down the north shore.  The open ocean fetch adds long period groundswells.

This forcast is usually very accurate for the north shore, but can be iffy for the south shore.  That's just the nature of how fickle our south shore is.  I'm hoping for downwind action over here - but it may not happen.  Ski's are not invited to the Olukai, so I'll be hanging on the south shore this weekend.     

http://weather.mhpcc.edu/wrf/maui2/ 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
The south shore looks like the winner for tomorrow.  If the race finishes around 1-2 then a run could still be done over there.  I'm up for it if anyone else is.

Today wind maxed out at 15mph, almost doable except that the direction was 13 degrees.  Fingers are crossed for tomorrow.

Classic that we go into a full on wind event after the race.

Stoked on PBill's V2 with the low nose rocker.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
The usual suspects?

Connor,  Kai Lenny, Livio, Dave K., Danny Ching, Travis Grant if he shows up (didn't see his name in the channels this year, but one can hope), Jeremy, Jamie Mitchell was here last year,  Kai Bartlett is super fit - if he jumps on a standup he will fly.  Maybe Slater Trout is in town, he did very well in outrigger at the Imua last weekend.     

Undoubtedly more, that's off the top of my head.  I don't know who is racing.  But probably a lot of them.  It's a big race.  Both days will see a very high level of competition. 

As for the ladies, they love this race because they get equal money as the guys.  Andrea Moeller is probably the favorite.  I'm guessing Talia Gangini, Devin, maybe Anabelle Anderson is in town?  Dane Ward is one of our best outrigger paddlers, she usually does the standup too.  The elite ladies here are super fast. 

Keep your eye on Karla Gilbert in the ladies.

Travis won't be there, he's going to the NSW titles, France, Germany, France, Spain and then Hawaii for Olamau.  Looks like he will be doing the triple crown and Molokai though before Battle Of Paddle in Cali.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »
^Is Travis Grant moving to Hawaii?  I seem to remember him saying something in an interview. 

If so, which island?  Also does he do the surfski along with the outrigger and standup?

Thanks for the info CMC.  I'll keep an eye out for Karla's result.

Elite visitors should do well in the less than ideal winds.  When it's blasting,  Maui residents have an advantage.  Aussies are famous for coming here and killing it when the conditions are tough, because they train in tougher water.     

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 12:10:19 AM »
Maliko today...  Wind was trying.  Had to work hard to get glides.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »
This morning is race day.  Been raining here in Paia all night.  Clouds in every direction, no blue holes anywhere.  But at 6am there is already some wind here at my house.  The temps have cooled off from the rain and I'm getting a good feeling about the prospects for today.

JF808... hard to catch glides?  The wind was almost dead north yesterday.  If you caught anything, you're a wizard. 

More than wind speed, a more E direction is what we want, whatever speed it is.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
Oh yeah and there's a small swell breaking on the outer reefs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal