Author Topic: Short Paddle is like Short Board for Surf  (Read 4785 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Short Paddle is like Short Board for Surf
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »
I learned to SUP with a Kialoa Methane 6" overhead.  Then I was intrigued by longer paddles and bought a Kenalu and went 11" overhead.  It all seemed to work, but cruising was nicer with the 11"

Once I learned the Connor Baxter choke down maneuver I started to drop my hand down to catch waves.  Then I was using this to catch 100% of my waves.

I recently cut my paddle down to 2" overhead (Kenalu).  The height was designed to match where I would normally drop my top hand to catch waves.  I have had 20 sessions and caught ~ 275 waves and its a game changer.  I don't think I am alone.

The advantages are:
  Power Stroke on all the time - no need to drop your hand)
  Lighter, more maneuverable paddle - easier for transitions and doesn't get in the way
  Knees do have to be bent but this can add to balance (and workout)
  . . . . .

My conclusion is that a long paddle is to a long board what a short paddle is to a short board.  We all learn on bigger equipment but as you get better, and if you want to push the envelope, cut it short.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:56:06 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Short Paddle is like Short Board for Surf
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »
I had been thinking about this thread for a while, and clearly have been testing the equipment.  The post below by Standing Dan convinced me that this needed its own topic.  

I will add that I have used the short, light, stumpy paddle in both small surf, and up to double overhead on my 10' 6" PSH gun.  I was worried it would not work on a bigger board, but all the advantages were still there.  The only downside might be if you have to take it for a long distance paddle, but that's not the case when we are intent on surfing.

A shorter paddle has helped me tremendously in my wave count. This gets your knees bent, your CG down, and gets you leaning into the takeoff. The old paddle length protocol of six to eight inches overhead just isn't appropriate for SUS. Not to name drop, but I was just talking with Chuck Patterson at Dog Patch today about this very topic. His paddle was right at head high, but of course he could rip with a piece of plywood and a two by four. BTW he was ripping a very interesting looking Naish prototype. I had already cut my paddle down to a few inches overhead, but I went home today and pared it down even more. Now I'll rip like Chuck...yeah right.

You might say different strokes . . , but as I have gotten better at SUS its funny how those strokes have become my strokes, or maybe it was the other way around  ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:45:59 AM by Beasho »

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »
I can't stand using anything higher than head high for surfing now. Not sure if I can describe why, other than to say that longer paddles feel sluggish and imprecise to me. Is anyone using a paddle shorter than head high? If I had an adjustable Ke Nalu (maybe I should), I'd try it.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:07:10 AM »
I've been at 3" overhead for awhile now. I'm going to test going even shorter but I think it's getting close to as short as I want to go. My problem is particular to me. With my crappy balance I use my paddle constantly while waiting. Too short and I have to either drop down/crouch or drop my hands down to an awkward position that takes away from the leverage/balance the paddle gives while just waiting.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 01:27:46 AM »
I pretty much suck in waves but this thread made me experiment all the same. A Naish Kaholo vario 8'5" turned out to be excellent in the waves and I've gone from 4" overhead to 2" below. I don't think I'm going back. Will try even shorter. Since there is no groundswell here, I always paddle in plenty of wind and chop. A slightly more crouched stance works well both for balance and catching less wind.

leroy13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:10:28 AM »
I learned to SUP with a Kialoa Methane 6" overhead.  Then I was intrigued by longer paddles and bought a Kenalu and went 11" overhead.  It all seemed to work, but cruising was nicer with the 11"

Once I learned the Connor Baxter choke down maneuver I started to drop my hand down to catch waves.  Then I was using this to catch 100% of my waves.

I recently cut my paddle down to 2" overhead (Kenalu).  The height was designed to match where I would normally drop my top hand to catch waves.  I have had 20 sessions and caught ~ 275 waves and its a game changer.  I don't think I am alone.

The advantages are:
  Power Stroke on all the time - no need to drop your hand)
  Lighter, more maneuverable paddle - easier for transitions and doesn't get in the way
  Knees do have to be bent but this can add to balance (and workout)
  . . . . .

My conclusion is that a long paddle is to a long board what a short paddle is to a short board.  We all learn on bigger equipment but as you get better, and if you want to push the envelope, cut it short.

Spot on!! I actually was getting stuck in the wave with a longer paddle and going head over.  A shorter paddle allows quicker release to begin the bottom turn :).

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:21:12 AM »
I'm definitely thinking and seeing the same...long paddles are just too cumbersome in the surf...  I notice particularly in strong off shore winds, you can only bend down to counteract the wind so far w/ a long paddle...  The problem for me, becomes that during many of my surf sessions, I end up paddling up and down the coast finding empty peaks, so I need to find a length that is a good balance.....  Just got my new paddles in and I'm gonna experiment with length and adjustability...  FYI, notice that I declined to mention that they are KeNalus....I don't want to "jump on the bandwagon" and take a way from the credibility of this forum.... :P
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 06:47:19 AM »
Does the shorter shaft work better with a smaller blade? or shorter shaft, = shorter stroke, better with a bigger blade?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
Does the shorter shaft work better with a smaller blade? or shorter shaft, = shorter stroke, better with a bigger blade?

Not in my experience - like Pono has said many times before the blade size depends on the person.  High cadence paddler = smaller blade, low cadence paddler = larger blade.  I run my paddle 2" over my height and it's a medium size blade (Kenalu Maliko); I tried a friend's Kialoa Pipes (the tiny blade) at my head height and I hated it.  It wasn't enough to propel me because I'm a slower paddler; i really had to up the cadence to get anywhere... 

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 07:37:13 AM »
probably depends on the surfer... a high cadence paddler may benefit even more w/ a small blade + short paddle, whereas a "power" paddler may really like a huge blade w/ short shaft.....  interesting..
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »
There's lots of aspects you may not realize until you try something new on your Sup.
Shorter board, shorter paddle, shorter strokes...POWER STROKES.
I'm not reaching as far up the nose, so it takes less time (really!) for each stroke.
With a long paddle, you can't dip it in the water directly next to your body.  
You're reaching further in front of you, way up by the nose.
I didn't feel comfortable with a 76" paddle at first, but then realized the benefits after using it on the 7'7".
I'm practically sinking in the water as it is, but using my surf stance, and crouching occasionally, I can seriously dig in.
Then when on the wave, whipping the paddle around back and forth is so much easier and the surfing flows more naturally.
 ;D ;D ;D

Those of you who have seen me in the water know what I'm trying to describe. ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:25:38 AM by Cardiff Sweeper »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »
All you guys do is make me spend money!  :(  I have a pile of paddles sitting in my office already, but I guess it's time to throw another one in to the mix.  An adjustable, though I'm not a fan of junk on the shaft, may be in order. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
my paddle is at my forehead and i use a really big blade to get a strong 1st and 2nd paddle so i can catch waves with a very small board.

JoeC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 05:01:53 PM »
Great thread, I have never even considered a shorter paddle in the surf until I read this. I have an adjustable, I'm gonna give it a go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal