Author Topic: Heavy weight rider SIMSUP review  (Read 19752 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Heavy weight rider SIMSUP review
« on: May 01, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »

I'm 57, 6'4" 225 lbs, 4 years experience with sup surfing, plenty years of lay down surfing.  This is a review of the L41, S4, simsup.  The reason I'm starting this new thread is believe heavyweights (210 and up) really need different measurements on these simsups to feel comfortable and have a good time surfing these new shapes.  I'm an average, maybe above average middle aged sup surfer that has spent a lot of money on sup boards in the last four years.

I first had the 8'5" simsup at 31.5 across, 140 volume.  This board surfed great but was too small and tippie for me making it more frustrating than fun in the light and moderate chop I surf in the most.  My new L41 is 8'10" 33 across, 159 volume.  I'm WAY more comfortable on this board and can just stand in the lineup with very little balance problems.  Even at 33 across this board has its challenges in heavy chop and cross chop seas...but is totally doable!  I wouldn't want the board any shorter, longer or narrower.  This shape seems to be a good fit for my weight and height.  You wont find these dimensions on a "Pop out"...yet.  I believe these designs will become the norm for small to medium surf around the world for heavier riders.  Just my opinion though.

Not everybody is going to like the way these simsups ride.  Yes, I said it.  These boards have a "Skatie" feel to them.  Much different surfing than the norm of riding sup's like a high performance longboard.  Cross stepping, tail slides, nose riding etc.  The more typical (think of Laird Hamilton ripping longboard) maneuvers.  These simsups like to be ridden over the tail while turning, doing cut backs and floaters.

I don't like these simsups in large, hollow ropey waves.  I much prefer a narrower ten footer for thumpie sup surfing.  These boards are fin sensitive!  If you don't have the correct fin set up you may hate the board.  Change the fin set up and you will be in love with the same board.  I finally have the fins set where I like them and can really milk the performance out of this board.  I'm still experimenting on fins to be honest.

The L41, S4 has pinched shortboard surfboard rails.  the "Standard" simsups have a fuller, more boxed rail and I think a heavyweight can go shorter and narrower on that design.

Finally the review:

This L41 simsup is super fast!  It has skatie, fast feel to it right out of the gate.  You can make lots of directional changes on the wave without loosing speed.  The board can perform full round house cut backs without loosing speed and you better get ready cause your banking off the soup and bottom turning for round two.  These boards work great in smaller, mushie surf for us heavyweights.  We finally have a board that surfs like a "High performance shortboard" in small surf...If the dimensions and fin set ups are correct for your weight.  My 9'6" high performance sup is collecting a lot of dust.  These simsups are just plain fun to surf! 

I'll end with saying I like all types of sup surfing.  I enjoy longboard type sup surfing too.  I have an 11 footer that I still use because I like the glide.  I'm really enjoying this simsup!  These simsups seem to get the most out of the smaller surf.  As a heavyweight I can get more turns and maneuvers in the smaller surf.  I'm curious how Stoneaxe - Supthecreek - Ponobill simsups ride? 

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy weight rider SIMSUP review
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
LW,
That was a nice review! How does the fins you have used effect the performance? Have u used different Quads than the standard stock fins Kirk sends out?
I have a 5'9" custom S4 coming soon, moving down a little from my 8'0" Vibe also very stable for my currant weight of 165 lbs. and it ripped! Unfortunately I sold it to help fund my new board. I went back and rode my old 9'2" Allwave that now feels like a barge! Hopefully I won't have to re-order a new larger version SS like you did?
With your experience, what fin set up would u recommend?
Thx,
FM

gtcali

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
Thank You.  I was trying to figure who the big guys where goin' through the Simmons threads.  I should copy and paste my post yesterday in this thread.

So Lopez, 5" made a huge difference?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:06:20 PM by gtcali »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »
Nice review...and good to hear. I have an 8-6 x 33 (approx 160 L) SIM inspired Vec on the way (maybe this weekend) and our specs are almost identical except that I have a few lbs on you. I wanted to get somewhere in between the S1 and the Infinity Phoenix. Wanted to make sure there was enough volume in the rails for me to be comfortable while waiting but I had most of it up front with the tail thinned out. I have Larry's twins going in for fins but it's a 5 fin and I'm sure I'll be playing. Makes sense that these are so fin sensitive. Going to be fun figuring it out.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »

fanman

At your weight of 165 lbs the standard fins are fine but don't be afraid to experiment with other quad sets.  Right now I'm using all fiberglass quads.  Why fiberglass?  Because they are stiffer and for heavyweights you get more drive and a more positive turning feel.  I don't like those honeycomb or carbon light fins.  Good old fashion fiberglass fins for us heavyweights.  The fronts are 5" high the backs are 4 1/2".  They look like your typical shortboard quad set just blown up a little. I got the backs from Rainbow fin company in Santa Cruz and the people there were really nice to work with.  The fronts I took off an old "Twinzer " fin set up I've been keeping in my fin bag for several years.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »
Stonaxe -

That board sounds PERFECT!  Can't wait for board review.   I'm working a completely different quad fin set up.  I just don't have it dialed in yet so I'm not posting about it.

Mr.413

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »
Great review! Thanks for sharing all that info. I was considering to order one of these SIMSUPs and you just gave me the right direction. Yes, I also belong to the Heavies Club (5-11, 230lbs, 49). Two weeks ago I found my nirvana at 32" wide. I come from C4 11-6 x 28, PSH wide ripper 9-6 x 29.50 (too tippy, hated it, sold it in 1 week), C-4 10-6 x 28.50, PSH all around 9-6 x 29.50 (nice in glass conditions, too tippy in chop, sold it in 2 weeks), now...Starboard Wide Point 9-5 x 32. Love it!!!! Ripping every single day (chop or glassy). Happy!!!!

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »
I recommend Future Controllers that is what Kirk provides now. I love my board S4 8'4" x 31 x 4 5/8 for 135 and I'm 6'3" 240 45. It's taken time for me to get stronger and channel my inner 70's surfing style.  The board is fast, stable, strong and nice to look at.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »
Good review. Very insightful.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »
I should have a 8'8" X 33" waiting for me, though I realized I didn't have Diane mail the check yet, so YIKES. But it will probably be a while before I get it in surf, other than perhaps playing at the Hatchery in the Columbia. Be fun to see if it works there. I'll let you know though. My current weight is 235. I'm aiming to be 220 sometime soon, but we'll see if I can get there without amputation.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 03:24:17 AM »
Lopez
insightful and informative review.

I think that an accurate background of the reviewer in key to it's usefulness.
Age, weight, height - surf & SUS experience - accurate appraisal of one's own abilities
and... the fact that you have laid out $$$ on many boards - you have valid comps.
Then a thorough Pros & Cons of board performance

This is a format the makes board reviews most helpful.

As to your query about my experience with Sims.... I've never even seen one :-\
My weight reduction has me jonesin' for a smaller board.
I felt that a Sims would be a good match for some of the waves I ride, but possibly not all...

I have an 8'8 x 32 JP Australia Wide Body coming into JimK's any day now.
It is a carbon (Composite?) construction - VERY light... and quad only... no center fin box
It seems like a good match for all the conditions I surf... so That's my go for now.
When Stoney and Linter get their Sims... I will get to see where they fit in
One, I will get to try on Cape Cod... the other in Rhode Island point breaks... so I'll have good trials.

My next board may well be a Sims... if the JP allows me to retire the 9'6 x 32 Allwave
The Allwave surfs very well in all my conditions... but starting to feel too big at 215 lbs.

Your review seems to support my decision... Thanks for the thread.... great stuff!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 05:16:43 AM »
I think that was what made the board and paddle showcase so valuable. Having a good number of subjective reviews from a wide variety of riders from rank beginners to some of the best in the world today made it pretty interesting and informative. It gave people a direction to head in when starting out the search for a new board. I haven't seen anything else come close to being as useful except what we get here on the zone. You just have to dig a little more for it here.

Maybe we could create a more useful review system here. A standard format for subject headers that would make them more easily searchable and a standard format for reviews that would include the specs and experience of the rider as well as the specs of the board and the subjective opinion on its performance in the conditions it was used. Maybe even a standard format for photos to show shape and rocker. The board graphics we did for the showcase made it easy to see what a given board looked like and to relate the reviews to a style of board. We're not going to place scales over them but a couple of quick pics for each would be easy. Maybe a sticky post at the top of Gear Talk that gives the format would be enough.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:39:08 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Heavy weight rider SIMSUP review
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 05:30:16 AM »
I'm in the club - SUP'n 5 years now and I'm 40 yrs old and 6'1" 217 lbs (210-215 ultimately what with my primal lifestyle).  Currently ride an 8'10"x29.5" Dave Craig and have a 7'10"x31" 127L SIMSUP S4 on the way any day now I hope.  I don't mind the challenge and think it'll be ok with the extra width and fuller nose/tail vs. my Craig.  I do expect there too be a learning curve in finding the fore/aft balance point.  I'll post a review when I've had some time on it...

endlessfight

Re: Re: Heavy weight rider SIMSUP review
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 05:52:09 AM »
I'm in the club - SUP'n 5 years now and I'm 40 yrs old and 6'1" 217 lbs (210-215 ultimately what with my primal lifestyle).  Currently ride an 8'10"x29.5" Dave Craig and have a 7'10"x31" 127L SIMSUP S4 on the way any day now I hope.  I don't mind the challenge and think it'll be ok with the extra width and fuller nose/tail vs. my Craig.  I do expect there too be a learning curve in finding the fore/aft balance point.  I'll post a review when I've had some time on it...

very nice i have a 7'10 x 29.5" S4 coming soon as well! mine will be around 115L. I wish you lived close so i could see what kinda difference an inch and a half of width can make (could be both posi/negs)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 06:38:32 AM »
At my current weight of 212, I'm having some concerns about my ability to ride my, very soon to arrive, 7'10" x 30.5", Phoenix V2.  What a great reason to shed 10lbs or so.  I can't wait!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal