Author Topic: Standard format for reviews?  (Read 3842 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Standard format for reviews?
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:32 AM »
I posted this in another thread but thought it was worth opening up a thread on its own.

The Board and Paddle showcase that Pono did back in 2008 was a very valuable tool for folks looking at getting a board. What made it work so well was having a good number of subjective reviews from a wide variety of riders from rank beginners to some of the best in the world today. It was a guide that could at least get someone started in the right direction.  You could easily see what a number of folks with similar backgrounds and specs (height, weight, etc..) thought of a given board. It made it pretty interesting and informative and most important relevant. I haven't seen anything else come close to being as useful except what we get here on the zone. You just have to dig a little more for it here.

Maybe we could create a more useful review system here. A standard format for subject headers that would make them more easily searchable and a standard format for reviews that would include the specs and experience of the rider as well as the specs of the board and the subjective opinion on its performance in the conditions it was used. Maybe even a standard format for photos to show shape and rocker. The board graphics we did for the showcase made it easy to see what a given board looked like and to relate the reviews to a style of board. We're not going to place scales over them but a couple of quick pics for each would be easy. Maybe a sticky post at the top of Gear Talk that gives the format would be enough.

We could even do some zoner demo days where we get together and try different boards. The owner could post their review along with the pics and it would be followed up by folks that had also tried the board. the zone is already the place to come when you are looking for info...this could make it easier to find and provide more thorough reviews.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:12:52 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Standard format for reviews?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
Sounds like a good idea Stoneaxe. The only way I think it would work would be for the Admin to create a button to post Board Reviews that will display a form with fields to enter the data. For example, paddlers Height, Weight, Years of Experience, board Length, Board Width, Actual Board Weight, Brand, and Model. Attach picture if available of front view, side view, and rear view. Then a scale of 1 to 5 on the different observations, for example, Stability, Speed, Tracking, Downwind, Side wind, Upwind, etc.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »
Those are great ideas. 

I especially like the idea of having our own demo days.  We have the boards, and the reps don't seem to have them available for demo.  That was my only disappointment at the Carolina Cup -- the reps were there, but some of the most popular boards were no where to be seen.

Demo days could even be combined with a race board speed test, swap meet, and board reviews by paddlers at the demo.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:22:59 PM »
Those are really great ideas. I think the picture format for the old KeNalu showcase was particularly useful--they had a grid overlaid on them, and we did top, bottom, and side shots. It should be feasible to somewhat automate that. The interface could be pretty straightforwards--supply the length of the board and the name of the view and the grid adjusts.

The showcase is gone along with the old site. Too bad, there were also 24,500 links to the site that Google recognized which kept it pretty dominant in any SUP category. Gone. But I might have a full backup on an old hard drive in Hood River. If not, there's always the wayback machine to lift the format from, though it tends not to have pictures that aren't strongly indexed.

There once was a board review section on the zone, admin ditched it years ago when the number of boards rose from a little handful to hundreds. I played with a self-review wiki-style site that I attached to Ke Nalu for a while, but it drew very little attention. And I recall Carles Carrera (who makes Rail Saver Pro) built a review site that had some decent tech. Again, it didn't get much play. You'd think manufacturers would be all over such a thing, even if it's only to get good links to their site, but web marketing is rarely a strong suit there.

Funny to hear all the complaints about Tower from manufacturers when they are just doing fundamental blocking and tackling on the web. If anyone got really sophisticated they'd really have something to fret about.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:48:09 PM »
A form would be good for the basics for sure. All the paddlers at the showcase actually did fill out a form for every board they tested but the commentary has a lot of value as well and makes for a more interesting read.

The zone get togethers would be a great part of it for sure and once that starts happening anything could happen...and likely would... ;D

One of the reasons why I think it could work here when it hasn't elsewhere (a bunch have tried) is the community we have to start with. We already have a lot of folks posting reviews. This would just formalize the process a bit and encourage others to join in. Of course the potential for abuse would be there but it already is.

I still have all the pictures from the showcase including all the boards with the graphs....in fact I have ALL the pictures......including ones neither of us want the world to see. There was a good reason I was the semi-official BIG guy newbie...yikes... :o

I think one of the most valuable things for the manufacturers would be the data. They might think a board is the best thing since sliced bread but if all it gets are luke warm reviews I might think twice about ramping up production and potentially save myself $$$
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:53:33 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
Photos: Profile, bottom, top. Three photos of bottom contours - one from front third, middle, between front/rear fins. Rail photo with hand grip (at middle of board). Find benchmark board (common and comparable board), take photos with both in same frame from bottom and top. Include rail with hand grip photo of comparison board.
Dims: Length, width, volume, weight with pad but without fins and leash.
Rider background:
Stability:
(Race Only)Speed:
GPS indicated only. Include comparisons to other boards.
Wave performance:
Ease of catching wave:
Maneuverability:
Enjoyability:
Overall impression:

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines as you for the photos Jean but we'll likely be lucky to get shape and rocker.... ;D When I get my new board I am going to do one like that though. Place a yardstick on it also to both better show the contours and width.
I like the list of info too.

I think I may try to organize a demo day or two this summer.
Bob

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:39:57 PM »
A Zoner demo day?  That's crazy talk.  But if u do have one, put someone in charge of donuts... And someone else in charge of finding electricity to set up their Keurig on the beach for hot coffee.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 10:40:45 PM »
Even if they have to temporarily disable a soda machine or something.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 11:01:25 PM »
And you need legal help for the extension cord trip and falls.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:44:29 PM »
 :)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »
do you still need the legal help if the legal help owns the Kuerig Machine and extension cord?

SL, You know how to demo day!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 04:42:04 AM »
The review should also have some space for general description after the dry-land photographs.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 08:11:15 AM »
Sounds like I missed a good demo day... ;D

We roll a little different out here...bloody mary's in the parking lot....post session..... ;D
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill