Author Topic: Sunset – Moonlight paddle thru Topock Gorge, Colorado River  (Read 7049 times)

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Mrs. Levity and I have enjoyed morning paddles through Topock Gorge on the lower Colorado river, but we thought it would be cool to see it with the sun setting and in the moonlight.  It would be our maiden night-time paddle, and since it’s 16 miles to the first possible take-out we decided to leave a little after 5PM to get a combination of low sun, sunset, dusk and darkness.  The moon would be only half full but would be directly overhead (April 19).

The toughest part was waiting for it to get late enough while lounging about at the Park Moabi launch site.

Conditions were great with temps in the low 70s and a slight tail wind out of the north.  Heading toward the “Needles” rock formation.

Jill approaching the Needles

and at the start of Topock Gorge.

Heading into the Gorge proper.

Reeds along the shoreline.  (These provide shelter for lots of migratory birds but will make finding the take-out in the dark a bit tricky later on).

Exiting the Gorge.

Enjoyed “dinner” at sunset.  A beaver swam by and greeted us with some tail slaps.

We used waterproof Black Diamond headlamps having spot or broad beams or 2 small red LEDs together with small marker lights on the boards and in our fanny packs

Once fully dark it was spectacular, but difficult to photograph.  The wind died and in the moonlight the river became like a mirror.  The dark shoreline, the moon and even stars could be seen as reflections on the water.  So serene, it was nice to just quietly drift without paddling.

Here’s a final shot of me finding a path thru the reeds into Castle Rock Bay (illuminated by Jill’s headlamp). 

It was so beautiful on the river at night that we wished the take-out still lay farther ahead.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunset – Moonlight paddle thru Topock Gorge, Colorado River
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:58:53 PM »
You guys sure know how to enjoy yourselves. Perfect time of year as well. All the snowbirds have left....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunset – Moonlight paddle thru Topock Gorge, Colorado River
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:13:16 AM »
 Beautiful...   :) :) :)         Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP