Author Topic: Land paddling  (Read 7264 times)

supmi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Land paddling
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
Anyone use land paddling in the off season?  I am in Michigan and when I cannot get on the water I like to use my Kahuna board.  It's fun and a good workout, but I was curious if anyone uses it and what their feeling are?  Thanks

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Land paddling
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
Of all the sports I do this is the cheapest and possibly the most fun and "waves" are guaranteed!  I have a kahuna stick and board, the bombora. I ride it barefoot all day long. Up to 20 miles per sesh. Gonna pick up one of their new boards soon. I've seen other brands too with a handle in the middle like a SUP. But I'm def stoked on the kahuna brand.  Great for SUP trianing using forward stance, Shredding some pavement and building your core and upper body for sure.

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 01:00:19 PM »
Ambivalent - regarding SUP. I have a 48" Hobie and use the Big Stick on my tar/chip road at home. It's nothing like those billiard-table smooth, concrete streets you see in CA, but fun - for what I got. Plus the dog gets a workout a couple of times a week; he tows me.

I switched from the double-donut end to the new single rubber.  Mistake for me.  It does not seem to have the same 'traction' as the old ones.  I thought it was the cold, but even on a warm day - it wants to skid. ..perhaps the contact point is smaller.

There's another brand with a simple ball on the end; I was thinking of asking what the durometer rubber/plastic he is using.

Hook your back wheel while truckin' yet?  Busted my ass early on!  ..elbow pads + helmet always.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SUPnKev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:05:33 PM »
Trying to restart this thread because I am interested in land paddling when it turns colder around here. Looking at the Kahuna's and Norge boards. Notice that most don't have grip tape, or they have a sand coat surface that seems to wear off according to the reviews I have seen. Those of you land paddling, you add your own grip tape, or do without? I'm looking to is simulate SUPing so I am not sure how much grip tape might be needed. I used to skateboard many many years ago, so I know the basics but looking for guidance from those up on the scene. Thanks.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
No grip, I ride barefoot. Faced forward just like sup on my Bombora.

UDflyer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
Sand grip hasnt wore off on my kahuna boards yet. I have all 3 generations of the big stick. The original puck design which i still use, the blade (version 1 which is terrible) and the updated blade (much better grip).

I hope to get back out on mine a couple times a week and hit the pavement. My local shop has a bunch of setups

SUPnKev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »
all the reviews I have read for the Kahuna have been great. I was torn over whether to go with the classic big stick, or the bundle deal for the adjustable. I think I want to go for the fixed length stick.  Thanks for the feedbacks.  Both were very useful in their own way. I dont think I will be barefoot starting off, but maybe later on, so its good to know that the sand is holding up on the decks.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »

I hope to get back out on mine a couple times a week and hit the pavement.
The reason I don't take skateboarding again is because I don't want to hit the pavement.

UDflyer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »

I hope to get back out on mine a couple times a week and hit the pavement.
The reason I don't take skateboarding again is because I don't want to hit the pavement.

Literally or figuretively?? when you're a guy like me who has been out of sup for 10mos for various reasons, its the easiest thing for me to do to keep my mind going. Heck Im surrounded by water here and live on a lake but certain circumstances forced me to sell off all my sup gear and turn away from it for a bit. Thats all changing next month though!!

SUPnKev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »
freetobeme, your Bombora is a 59"?  Sounds like you like yours, as have pretty much evey other Bombora review I have read. But when I read the skateboarder forums, they all talk about 48s being the main right.  I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Kahuna Bombora 59", but just keep requestioning myself.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 04:16:52 PM »
I understood what you meant.  Just my crazy sense of humor, saw it the other way too.
I remember when skateboards first came out.  Wow, what a great way to work on balance and turns when you couldn't get in the water or the surf was no good.
I think land paddling is a good thing.  At 65, I'm in no hurry to try it.
I hope you enjoy it and it helps get you ready for the time when you can get back on the water.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
freetobeme, your Bombora is a 59"?  Sounds like you like yours, as have pretty much evey other Bombora review I have read. But when I read the skateboarder forums, they all talk about 48s being the main right.  I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Kahuna Bombora 59", but just keep requestioning myself.

ya, she's a barge for sure at 59"! but its dialed in as is.  Kahuna did a solid job. it may not be considered legit by skateboarder standards but im a SUPer who digs boarding not vis versa.  if you want the close to SUP experience than do the Bombora!  

SUPnKev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 04:59:25 AM »
Thats what I needed to hear. I'm pretty much the same as you.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard