Author Topic: Matuse wetsuit vs. my usuals..  (Read 13898 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Matuse wetsuit vs. my usuals..
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:17:56 AM »

I got two, a 2mm Full and 2mm Spring.  I'm a nominal 185 x 5-11.  I typically wore BodyGlove for many years, then took up ProMotion when I started kiting about a decade ago.  ProMo used a lot 'skin' so it seemed there was a lot less evaporative cooling as I was zooming along.

Being a frugal person, I opted for Matuse 'Vintage' (last year's) suits.  I first got in a Full in their std. Large size.  Eh-eh ...too tight. Returns were quick/easy - I got a std. XL.

The suit fits fine.  The only thing I don't like is their total use of 'super stretch'.  I have had Billabong S.S. in a Spring, but S.S. in the arms and legs of the Matuse is a PITA.  Partially, because the arms and calfs are really small.  I am not Pop Eye, but I liken their pattern to some shirts I got from France.  Jezus..those guys need to do a little more manual labor over there!   I was unable to relieve the bunching just above my wrists.  The cloth was too tight for me to grab it and pull up.

I usually bring a bottle of shampoo dilute to juice my suits before I put them on ..and lycra socks.  I made lycra socks in the 80's and surf shops would hand them to people trying on new wetsuits - they're a quick and easy way to not look like a spazz.

As a sorta-comparison, I took my ProMo 3/2 out last time.  Jezus ..the ProMo felt like I was working inside a rubber band, exercise machine.

The Matuse (other than the tight arms) was a like a second skin with no memorable restrictions.  I did wear one of my rash guards..and it was pinchy in the pits, so I won't do that again.  ..this is a very nice suit. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Matuse wetsuit vs. my usuals..
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »
Just a thought

I would HIGHLY recommend looking at SUPreme wetsuits these are SUP specific suits. I use them and they are GREAT warm, comfortable
I've sold a bunch and everyone is STOKED with them and they are VERY reasonably priced

Check them out locally (or on the net www.supremepaddlesports.com) or if you want pop me a PM and I'll get you details

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Matuse wetsuit vs. my usuals..
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »
Just a thought

I would HIGHLY recommend looking at SUPreme wetsuits these are SUP specific suits. I use them and they are GREAT warm, comfortable
I've sold a bunch and everyone is STOKED with them and they are VERY reasonably priced

Check them out locally (or on the net www.supremepaddlesports.com) or if you want pop me a PM and I'll get you details

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Link is no good...

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
Thank you PDL
JimK

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
Going back to where I started; here's the link for the Matuse suits that I was interested in.

http://matuse.com/shop/wetsuits/vintage/

Jim

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Matuse wetsuit vs. my usuals..
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »
When i first moved to CA i got a cheap Bodyglove suit - coming from KY I knew nothing about wetsuits.  It was terrible - paddling in it (prone surfing) was extremely hard.  It could have been marketed as an exercise machine.  Compared to it my Oneill wetsuits are light years better.  I have a Matuse L/S 2mm shirt and it's nice - I'm just not sure it's nice enough to justify the price.  And it's a pain to get in and even harder to get out of when wet...  You're right though - you don't feel any restrictions.

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
The Matuse "Vintage" is the best deal around.  I have been running the Hoplite 2mm full this last winter and I am very very happy with this suite.   

Its a different approach to wetsuit design than that of what I have been using for the last 10 years.. Xcel.  The Matuse has no flushing as long as i put the neck on carefully. When I get it sealed, I have to let water into the suite to get the inside wet unless I want to wade in the water for 2-3 minuts. Its a very dry wetsuite.

In regards to the "Geoprene"-  I got a 8" slice almost all the way through the material from my armpit in the back to the middle of my waist on my side.  Have no idea how it happend.  Fin poked at some point... Anyway...  I thought it would give way as soon as I put the suite on... Well, its been months and at least 2 doz sessions and its still completely intact and looks no worse or like its going to tear anytime soon.  I am impressed.  The material they use, is not exclusive to them by any means, there are suits from other cheaper makers that use the same foam neoprene (Bodyglove vapor series).  The construction, taping and cut are not anywhere near as good. 

I will say my arms are not huge, and the arms are pretty tight, and the hardest part of the suite to get on.    Not a deal breaker.   This is like my third post about this suite... stoked on it for $260 I paid on the vintage section.  Im going to get the jacket for the summer. 
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
If you like skinny jeans, slim fit tees, weigh a buck forty five and can't buy beer, Matuse is for you.  Fit is everything, and if it's not right, move on and find another brand.  I tried one on and had to laugh, even though I could barely breath.  And I'm just a pretty buff 160 lbs...  I've had a lot of wetsuits with the over hyped Yamamoto rubber.  They always fell apart faster then my crummy O'Neills.  Now I have fancy rubber Billabongs.  They fit perfect, but the fancy rubber does not last.  So drink the Kool Aid, I know I have, you'll come to your senses soon enough.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »
If you like skinny jeans, slim fit tees, weigh a buck forty five and can't buy beer, Matuse is for you.  Fit is everything, and if it's not right, move on and find another brand.  I tried one on and had to laugh, even though I could barely breath.  And I'm just a pretty buff 160 lbs...  I've had a lot of wetsuits with the over hyped Yamamoto rubber.  They always fell apart faster then my crummy O'Neills.  Now I have fancy rubber Billabongs.  They fit perfect, but the fancy rubber does not last.  So drink the Kool Aid, I know I have, you'll come to your senses soon enough.

The Matuse suits are made to fit you like a glove.  When you get in the water they don't feel tight at all.  Feel more like having nothing on.  I don't fit in skinny jeans weigh in at 225lbs (an athletic not fat 225) and they are the best fitting suits I've ever had.  Some people seem to get put off by the way they fit on land.  I've heard others with the same complaint.

The suits are warm for what they are (the first number in the thickness is usually not a good indicator of the suit), super light and dry quick.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »
You guys are pretty funny.

One of the joys of being big enough to ride a teeter totter opposite an elephant seal is that I stay warm nearly all winter in an "'O'Neill 2mm long john.  I only add a 1 mil l/s top on cold days. The whole set up was under $120, and I don't have to bring them out until next December.  All this going primal has it's disadvantages.   ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
Slatch..  Hey, whatever works for you?! 

I got a second wear of the Matuse shortie.  This time w/o a rash shirt - it's really not needed. You simply cannot feel you are wearing a top.  I will also switch to Lycra trunks or, God No!, ..a speedo because a conventional baggie looks like I have a Depends under there.  The collar is notable also,  easy to do yourself and seals well.  I also did not have to bend forward five times to get the zipper up.

The way I see it; given that I usually get four years out of rubber before I simply get bored with it, the slight extra cost is a non-issue.  I would rather be comfortable in this than wear Rubatex Restraints.

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal