Author Topic: Race board rocker  (Read 13568 times)

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Race board rocker
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:32:38 AM »
I did a lot of searching and didn't find much on here or the Internet.

For those of you who make race boards, can you share some insight into rocker?  I may make a 14 board for mostly flatwater and protected bays.  Biggest water might be a foot if that.

About how much on the nose and tail?  A little more on the tail right?

Should it be continuous or have a flat spot?

If flat spot, where should it be and how long?

If continuous where should the apex (correct term?) of the arch be along the length of the board?

I plan on sinking the deck a decent amount and I weigh around 175 if that matters.

I'm a teacher so I have my summers off and can't just sit around doing nothing. Last summer I made a hollow wooden sup so I have a little experience.

Thanks!

DurhamSUP

Re: Race board rocker
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55:40 AM »
I'm assuming it's displacement and not planing....

About how much on the nose and tail?  A little more on the tail right?
1.5-1.75 nose, 2.5-3.0 tail

Should it be continuous or have a flat spot?
no flat spot

If flat spot, where should it be and how long? n/a

If continuous where should the apex (correct term?) of the arch be along the length of the board?
I like to have the wide point of my profile 12" back from center.
The apex of the rocker will match that so you will have a more gradual rocker in the nose.

I'm picking up some 14' foam next week and have some extra glass if your interested. Just shoot me a PM. Might be able to save you some travel and $. I'm not doing many boards at all this year with the new baby, so I'll have extra supplies.

TWsup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
I did a laser sighting on my BArk 12-6 which is an excellent flat water board. nose has negative rocker. tail is about 50 mm.
it's a super secret ingredient in board design.
Bark Competitor 12-6
Fanatic Allwave 9-2
Naish Keiki 9-0

TWsup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
look in the " shaping lights " thread and you can see the bark rocker
Bark Competitor 12-6
Fanatic Allwave 9-2
Naish Keiki 9-0

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »
I like more rocker 2" nose and 3' tail , but this is for a 25" wide. Less rocker needed for wider boards. The rocker point is in front of your feet the width is behind your feet. Just my 2 cents.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
I thought race boards had zero rocker.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »
I thought race boards had zero rocker.

Don't feel bad  ;D

Most people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to rocker, but they'll gone on and on about what the rocker is.  ;D

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
Thanks guys.

So one plug for widest point behind the feet. Seems like I see both.  Is it Fish form and Swede form? ( seems like I read that some where). What are you guy's thoughts?

DW, am I using the wrong term?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »
Fanatic improved their 2013 race boards heaps making them one of the best on the mrket now by making the nose a little wider and giving the board much more tail rocker.. IMO the right amount of tail rocker might even depend on how heavy the person is standing on it.. along with many other things.. It's a very hard thing to get perfect and it's very important.

DJ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 04:36:15 AM »

DW, am I using the wrong term?

I wasn't picking on you.  ;D

Rocker catalogs are published by the bank vendors. You can learn a lot looking through them.

DurhamSUP

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:12:36 AM »
Don't worry bbq, I'm pretty sure he was talking about me.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »
Don't worry bbq, I'm pretty sure he was talking about me.

Nope. Nobody in this thread. People in general commenting on rocker. People who shape or have shaped, are usually the only ones who know how its measured and what the curves really look like.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
When you talk about a race board, typically I think of a non-planing hull. Not a downwind board, and not a surf board. It's a low speed hull design that does not reach a plane. There are a number of research reports and books written on these types of 'low speed' hull designs.
Most SUP boards are a hybrid design (All arounder). They might be used in a non-planning, non-swell driven, under paddle power only situation, or planning swell driven situation. So you might flat water paddle, or surf them, but does neither well.

Most 'Race boards', the non-downwind, non swell type, will never plane, so you design with the idea of quietly parting or displacing the water. The water opens and closes as if you were never there. The rocker on these race boards are tricky, and not as easily generalized as 'surfing'/ planing hull designs.

BOP type of race boards are really semi-displaced / planing boards. You need to paddle flat water well and surf enough to get you to the beach in style. So when you are dealing with swell there will be more rocker. The amount of that rocker depends partly on the shape and size of the swell.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

willi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
looking at the Surftech / Bark -- it took me quite a while to see the rocker (the forward rocker)--as a suptle seperate line that blends in so nicely with the piercing nose --
I am building a new board --an all around I guess one would call it (like the Bark)-- open water with lots of chop --- getting the nose and the forward rocker to cooperate was quite a challenege -- it will be seen in the days to come if i have been successful --
TallDude is right -- rocker is soo elusive --but so necessary for a board to be right and fast --
I have a race board I built that has say 1'' of rocker on each end -- hahahah--think submarine!!!
Lesson learned -- my new one is 2.5 in the rear and 1.75 or so in front and thanks to DW for assistance with that --
If its a puzzle don't feel alone --I guess a cad program and CNC would take all the puzzle / worry out of play -- but that would be too easy --
aloha
willi

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
I was able to hook up with Durham and he has ordered us some blanks with that same rocker cut for us. 

Thanks Talldude you explained that well.  Since I'm really not looking for any kind of plaining characteristics, I was thinking of a rounded belly with soft rails all the way.  Am I on the right track?

I am a true believer in specific tools for specific jobs.  This board will be in the river, sound, and ICW.  Mostly the river 5 miles from my house. This is where I paddle 80% of the time.  Real flat water.  I will jump on the Glide for heavier conditions and the ocean. 

I could see how something like this past weekends Carolina Cup would really need a more all around shape for the Graveyard race conditions.

I'm on the fence withe the tail.  From a displacement point of view, the pintail makes sense to me.  However, I know what might be the most super duper hydrodynamic shape may not be the best to stand on and try to paddle.  If not a pintail how wide? 6 inches? 8?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal