Author Topic: Self repairs  (Read 4314 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Self repairs
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
I want to start doing my own repairs. I need to fix the fin box on my 9er and I figure this will be a good time to start. I've done some glassing on dings and small stuff but this will be the first bigger fix. I've got a router and such. I assume the the router templates for each fin type you work with are necessary. What else do I need?

This box was fixed before. Unfortunately it was originally just set in the EPS, no divinycell, and the repair was done just by using filler and epoxy. When I took out the box and cleaned out all the loose crap it left a pretty good gap. I think I should probably glue in some divinycell or is the expandable foam good enough....would definitely be easier.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Self repairs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »
http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/glass-under-fin-box

Good info in this thread.

I use Chinook finboxes. Chinook boxes are designed for windsurfing and are much tougher than surf boxes. Dimensions are identical except for one, box depth. Windsurf boxes are 1/8" deeper. For surf use, you just grind 1/8" off the top of the box. Either before glassing, if doing glass over install, or after, if not.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:12:17 AM by DW »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »
This is for the front side. Here's what it looks like. I'm getting the water out of it right now.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

punasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »
Don't use expandable foam!

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
I fell really hard on one of my futures fins last week and decided to go in and call it a day.
I hit it hard with my forearm as I was instinctively using my arms for protection. My first thought was that I had a huge gash going on but was lucky and wasn't cut up.  I did get a massive bruise. When I got in I checked the fins and boxes and got lucky again as I didn't see any damage there.  I always use some glass under the boxes and set them in some stronger foam blocks and me thinks that is what kept them fully intact.  

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:06:11 PM »
That looks pretty bad, being so close to the rail. I'd definitely cut out a larger area and use some rigid foam reinforcement. Probably add a layer of s-glass or better along the rail too.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 11:54:25 PM »
Don't use expanding foam, it's good for a lot of things but fin boxes isn't one of them. Divinycell.

the big problem you're going to have is getting the alignment of the fins right after you get the reinforcement in. That box is super close to the rail, it's going to be a bitch. If you don't have a good guy near you to do that, then take your time,  make a good template, and do it right. Here's a design for a futures fin template. http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/pdf/surfcomponents/futurefinjig.pdf. You can buy templates for specific boxes, though some of the ones I've seen are kind of wimpy. I made a base out of lexan and the guides out of plywood for the template I made. I can't find the damned thing. Time to clean the garage.

With that fin so close to the rail I'd probably glass over the divinycell and under the fin box for one layer and lap the rail a little with that layer. You'll need to put a fin in the box while that layer sets up so you can keep the fin perpendicular.

Then do a standard box install. this is for a windsurfing powerbox, but it's clear about what to do. I suspect Eve wouldn't glass under the box, but I would.
http://www.boardlady.com/jppowerbox.htm
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »
Wasn't there a way to repair something like this with a beer can.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 04:23:08 AM »
I thought of that beercan post when I started this... ;D

Yeah....my biggest concern is how close to the rail it is. Good suggestion to lap it over. Anybody got a chunk of divinycell to sell? Looking online I can only find sheets and they are mucho pricy.

I'll make a template in some very dense wood I have...should be fine.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:36:19 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »
You can use 3/8 sheet to build a box, either formed arond the new finbox or as a built-up solid block. If you form it around the finbox you'll need to make a template the size of the reinforcement block and do you alignment on it. That means your template will be a one shot. You can use blue construction foam if you glass under the box. Not as strong, but glassed under it will be a strong or stronger than a PVC install.

I'd consider removing the finbox on the other side as well, filling both holes with blue foam, glassing over the holes and then installing probox or FCS plugs. Probably easier in the long run and Probox or FCS fins are nice.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
Funny you should say that. I was starting to think the same way. The board is a 5 fin setup. I've broken the fin boxes in it 3 times before. I'm thinking of pulling them all and reinforcing.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
Yeah...I looked at Eva's site. When I heard she was retiring I saved the whole site as a PDF just in case it ever disappeared. I knew I would be needing it someday. Glad it's still up...she even added a little.
Bob

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »
Take the time to make a template if you want, they do help.  But over the years, I've been replacing all different kinds of boxes (different sizes), on different kinds of boards, mine mostly.
So if you want to save some time, just router it out freehand, draw lines first, of course, but if you are slow and steady, you can do it freehand no prob.
Foam and glass doesn't bounce around the router like wood can.
It takes a quiver to do that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
Good point....I have pretty good freehand router skills too. Even in wood...some of the carving I've done I start with a plunge router.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »
FCS plugs are pretty simple, and Probox has nice templates for cheap.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal