Author Topic: 404 14' Zeedonk.....who's paddled one?  (Read 16717 times)

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
404 14' Zeedonk.....who's paddled one?
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
So, pending a test paddle, i am pretty sure I will end up getting a 14' Zeedonk. Has anyone here had any experience with one? Should I get the "standard" construction or the Green Label, Full Carbon version? I know the Carbon is going to be more sensitive to sunlight, but I   will by a bag if i have too. Is Carbon worth the extra $$? I am not a racer, and have no desire to really race. I may enter a small race here and there just for fun, but that would be it. I mostly want to paddle the Lake Michigan Shoreline and some rivers near us.I keep my boards in my garage or at my shop. The only place they stay outside is when we are at our place in Ludington, but i keep it under a shade tree or behind the bushes where it's shady. The board is mostly for me, but my 16 y.o. son will paddle it when we go out together, and I will take my 12'6" Voyager.
 I am also considering a Surftech/Bark Eliminator....but the zeedonk is the front runner now. I want to make my decision in the next 2-3 weeks. The outpost has a 14' Zeedonk (non-carbon) and expects a 14' Carbon in the next few weeks.

I am 44, 6'4" and about 230....shooting for a LOT of paddling to get a bit leaner.

Thanks.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 404 14' Zeedonk.....who's paddled one?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »
You know there is one in the classified section just looked at it. Sorry never paddled one seems good.

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:07:02 AM »
You know there is one in the classified section just looked at it. Sorry never paddled one seems good.

I saw that ad too...but i think with shipping added in, i can get brand new for the same cost....except for a full carbon Greenline series.

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
No race + fitness + fun = no carbon

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »
Most people buying their first race-capable board  are kidding themselves about racing. It's pretty rewarding and it's a great motivator to gain that fitness you're aiming for. So go for the carbon.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »
Ditto with Ponobill.

I think the Zeedonk is a pretty high volume board and in my opinion the carbon would be significantly lighter.

Maybe call Riviera? They may be able to give you weight differences etc..

Good luck!

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »
Pono hit the nail on the head, I think.

I'm sure you've gotten good input from the guys at the Outpost.  If you haven't yet talked to one of their team riders Tony send him a pm here on the Zone ( send to bikeski).  He's paddled a few 404s,  not sure about the Zeedonk.  But I think he would have an opinion worth listening to.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »
I have not ridden one, but .... I went out with a fellow paddler who just got a brand new grey colored 14 Zeedonk.  Not sure if it is carbon.  He had a Gladiator fin on it.  Were were paddling on very flat water and he was painfully slow.  Me on my 14 Glide and my friend on his custom Bark 14 had to wait for him big time.  It was embarrassing.  I guess the fin could have slowed it some, but my guess is that is just not the slickest of shapes.  The board also looked to have very tall and square rails.  I can imagine it would really get pushed around in the wind.  If you have narrowed your choice between the Zeedonk and Surftech/Bark Eliminator, I would strongly suggest a test ride on the the Eliminator, if possible.  My two cents: I would say it is more important to get the get the shape you want rather than carbon or no carbon. A few more pounds on the board is of little consequence.  I would buy an awesome paddle, an upgraded fin and a board bag with the money you save.             
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
Pono hit the nail on the head, I think.

I'm sure you've gotten good input from the guys at the Outpost.  If you haven't yet talked to one of their team riders Tony send him a pm here on the Zone ( send to bikeski).  He's paddled a few 404s,  not sure about the Zeedonk.  But I think he would have an opinion worth listening to.

I am going to meet with Jim from the Outpost, as well as Tony, in few weeks. Hopefully, the weather will warm up a little bit, and I can get out and paddle the Zeedonk. They don't have anymore Eliminators coming this year, at this point.... but there is another customer who lives close, who has an Eliminator that Jim says i can probably try.

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »
Most people buying their first race-capable board  are kidding themselves about racing. It's pretty rewarding and it's a great motivator to gain that fitness you're aiming for. So go for the carbon.

Thanks Bill, I am heavily leaning towards the Carbon version since the Tufflite constructed Bark Eliminator is about the same cost.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
I demo'd a 14' Zeedonk on flatwater and thought it was slow compared to the 12-6 Bark Appleby I demo'd too, as I really felt myself pulling the mass of the board thru the water. I assumed it was due to my 160 lb wt shortening the waterline, as Riveria recommends a minimum 180 lbs. I do love my 404 on windy choppy days.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

bikeski

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »
I will be getting my 404 Zeedonk ( Pintail ) this week. The Outpost is not intending to stock the Pintail, but that could change pending the maiden paddle.  I think the pintail will offer a much different paddling experience than the squash tail, as it is thinner with much less volume.  Either way I'm excited to get the board and paddle it as this is the board I am committed to racing this year. 

Tony

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »
I will be getting my 404 Zeedonk ( Pintail ) this week. The Outpost is not intending to stock the Pintail, but that could change pending the maiden paddle.  I think the pintail will offer a much different paddling experience than the squash tail, as it is thinner with much less volume.  Either way I'm excited to get the board and paddle it as this is the board I am committed to racing this year. 

Tony

Thanks Tony, I am anxious to hear how you like it.

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:30:50 AM »
Went by the Outpost yesterday to see if anything new came in yet. Ended up finding out that the 14 Zeedonk in Carbon, is supposed to come in on Monday. Left a nice deposit on it, and am anxiously awaiting seeing it and hopefully paddling both versions,
 (EPS -Bamboo and full carbon)

Jim invited me, which i thought very nice, to go out today and paddle with a bunch of people today, i am hoping to go, but it's currently snowing lightly here....hope it warms up, and the wind stays calm.

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 03:56:16 AM »
The 14' Carbon version came in....time to go check them out side by side. I get to try out the Bamboo/EPS version. But the carbon version is not up for a demo paddle..... Jim took the Bamboo/EPS version out, and was VERY impressed with it. Going to try and go to the Outpost tonight to check them out side by side.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut