Author Topic: Deck Pad Ultimate Traction  (Read 208395 times)

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Deck Pad Ultimate Traction
« Reply #360 on: December 19, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »
All these boards are inspiring but those last two are beautiful.  Were they computer generated and cut on a machine and then stuck to the board?  I have cut triangles and other shapes out of my pads for my boards and they don't look anything like these beautiful works of art.

I love the way my feet stick on these pads and it works for me with the mosaic and triangle cut outs.

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 19, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
like this.......................

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 19, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
Like that.  Nothing like that kick ass tiger.  Can we get that Tiger or the Dolphin thingy in a kit?

moogie

• Malibu Status
  • Sharing Aloha Spirit in Tahoe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: December 20, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
The deck pad designs I have seen on this thread are so incredible.  And they just keep getting better!  DJ, the two you just posted show such attention to detail and design, wow.  Real artistry.  Truly awesome.  I would be cracking under the pressure to get all the pieces placed so perfectly! ;D   

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 20, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »
I agree--these deck pads show some amazing artistry and craftsmanship.

Although I understand even these may be blown away by what Martha Stewart is working on for her new Laird board.   

KenT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #365 on: December 23, 2010, 03:15:18 PM »

I am the one who realized the deck pad of the pink PSH, a 22 years old guy from the south of France, funny to find it in this topic, I think DJ found this picture on the PSH Facebook, where my father post it, anyway, here I am, so I can answer to some questions  :).

Were they computer generated and cut on a machine and then stuck to the board?

It's all HANDMADE dude  ;D ! I cut with light-duty utility knife (for handcrafts and model making). It was an order from a friend, she wanted something with dolphins  :-[ . It was my first try, but I was satisfied by the result !
I made the dolphins one in last october, so I am posting the new one I made this week for a friend of her, she asked me to put the roxy logo and hawaiian flowers, and up to me for the rest...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Johnson

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 23, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »
KenT,

You are a great artist with great vision to be able to cut and work with the pad and the board to come up with these works of art.  I would be proud to have any of your work on my boards.  You want to do my next board?

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 29, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »
FYI, found this code for 20% of of xtrak pads

http://xtrak.blogspot.com/2010/12/save-20-on-all-x-trak-products.html

these are not cheap, so it is a good time to pick one up 

KenT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #368 on: December 31, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
Offer me a plane ticket and I come to make you that !!  ;D
More pics...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Johnson

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
Where are we at with this in 2012?

To me, this was one of the most creative threads ever, but in my own feeble attempts, stuff starts peeling up after a while, and needs maintenence
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 24, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »
Outcast,  I have done several boards and some for friends but none tot he extent of KenT above.  All of mine have lasted and I did get better with each one I did.  They have great traction and are as good as day one.

I guess if needed you could add more or replace pretty easy in a mosaic pad.

I replaced a regular pad from a differnt company and suffered thru three days of peeling and cleaning and the end result with the new pad is a new favorite board with great traction.

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 24, 2012, 12:11:47 PM »
OH WOW!!!  Thanks for resurrecting this thread.  Being new here, I had not seen it before, and those are some incredibly wonderful deck pad designs.

My hat goes off to all of the creative artists that styled those masterpieces.  I sit here in awe and jealousy, as I can't even draw recognizable stick figures, so I can't imagine how one thinks of, and then creates such works of art......with a piece of rubber and an X-acto knife for Pete sakes.

You guys never fail to amaze me with all of your hidden talents!!

supthecreek

Re: Deck Pad Ultimate Traction - Thread revival -- Lost ART!
« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
This need to bee seen... I just read every page..... amazing lost art, just waiting to be uncovered.

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: September 30, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
So stoked on this thread! Provided great insight and ideas for my first project..

I got a question for you advanced SUP artists..

Have any of you guys done traction like the one in this picture? I like the look of the traction being more spread out. But I wonder if it is effective? Can I get away with it being this spread out or will I need to get them a little bit closer. Any feedback is appreciated!

8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

supthecreek

« Reply #374 on: September 30, 2014, 01:21:38 PM »
The spread out pieces works fine on Starboards, because they have Star-touch deck treatment, so no slippery spots between grip-bits.

You could "Monster Paint" spray between the pad pieces after you apply them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal