Author Topic: Ohana TR 12'6, any info or comparisdons to Naish, Fanatic ?  (Read 5888 times)

gratefulsuper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Ohana TR 12'6, any info or comparisdons to Naish, Fanatic ?
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:04:48 AM »
I'm trying to end the looking faze and move on to the the buying/paddling faze of my next sup. I have found three boards that I would like to choose from. None of them are carbon.

I am 5'9" and 160lbs. I have been paddling for a couple of months on an NSP 11'. I also surf but I am not looking for an SUP for surfing as I prefer my surfboards for that. I like the work out of paddling and now want something for longer distances, that is faster, glides better and can get me through the wind and chop better.

I don't think I will be racing but the idea of some group paddles sounds fun and I would like to be able to keep up. I paddle in the ICWW. I like the idea of how stable the wide boards are but am worried that I might out grow a 30" board too quickly. On the other hand from my surfing experience I know this next SUP will not be my last purchase.

Ohana TR 12'6 X 28", I cannot find any reviews or information on this board other than the product description on dealers web sites. I like this one because it has the smallest width at 28". I would really like any information on Ohana in general and this board specifically. Comparisons to the other two options would also be great.

Fanatic Fly Race 12'6 X 30.5", again I haven't been able to find out much about this board. I have found lots of information on the carbon models and the narrower models and the 14' but not this one. My concern is how wide it is. Comparisons to the other two options would be great.

Naish Glide 12'6 X 30", I have found lots of info on this one. My main concern on this one is also the width. Comparisons to the other two options would be great.

I'm sure it is obvious but I am very new to paddle boarding. Thanks for the help.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Ohana TR 12'6, any info or comparisdons to Naish, Fanatic ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:18:43 AM »
All I can say (beyond what I emailed to you) is

Fanatic Fly Race was the World Champion board that year

Wide is more stable than narrow and "swimming" is the slowest an SUP can go. So width is good

Let me know your thoughts
JimK

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
If I was your weight and hieght I would be looking at 28 or 27 wide. No need to go 30 for you Imo. im 6'4" 190 and I like the 28x14 fly.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

gratefulsuper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
Thank you.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
If you are looking for faster with more glide, get a 14'. And then you can go pretty narrow at your weight - 25-28"

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
i have the Naish 12'6"x30 and it is a fantastic board. a skinnier board might be faster but the 30" wide is great for when the wife and kid paddle it, and i use it through the winter on an ice-crusted lake where i do not want to be falling in.  i also have plans to fish off it. so for me it's great.   you just need to look at your needs.  . there will always be some "faster " board.     ;)   same argument goes on with surfboards, if you get a 9' someone will always say you can get by with a 8'5".  :D    btw the Ohana looks like a great board!

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
I'm about your size and surfing is my main deal too.

I started on a 30" wide Pin, then went to 28 1/4 Naish Javelin. Should have gone to the Naish first. Have tried Falcon 27" and it was no problem. I do a mix of social racing/downwinding and training for surfing.

I would even consider 26" wide for myself.

Karl

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »
Tried both Ohana and Fanatic last year. Ohana was corky and slow.  Fanatic sat low in h2o and was quick.  I'm 5'9 175 lbs.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

gratefulsuper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »
I've been looking for a reason to scratch the Ohana because the seller is being
a little difficult to deal with. Corky and slow is not what I'm looking for. Thanks

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »

Naish Glide 12'6 X 30", I have found lots of info on this one. My main concern on this one is also the width. Comparisons to the other two options would be great.

I'm sure it is obvious but I am very new to paddle boarding. Thanks for the help.

No need for concern about this board..  :) .. IMO 30" wide is the perfect width.. I've been paddling about 7 years and I've not out-grown this size board.

I paddle a 12'6" Glide pretty much daily and it's fast enough to be competitive with narrower boards.. Its more stable.. and it's a perfect do it all flat water board.. and it's a very good price.

You can see mine in this vid.

DJ

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:06:11 PM by DavidJohn »

gratefulsuper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:01:01 AM »
Thanks for all the great input. I wanted to buy something this past weekend but it didn't work out. I am now wondering if I should wait for the Carolina Cup in a couple weeks since I have heard a lot of people talk about great deals and lots of selection around the race. I am in Wilmington, NC so it is in my backyard. Anybody know if it's true about good deals at the race ?

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »
that's probably a good call - the biggest pain with the race boards is shipping them around.  if you just go to where the boards are you skip that step plus you might even get to try out a few.     
nice video DJ, the Glide looks sharp. mine needs more stickers.  8)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »
Went there last year. TONS of demos. Some peeps selling their sleds for sure, but I didn't inquire. The Cup is awesome...enjoy!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal