Author Topic: SUP balance (yoga/tabata) cross-training  (Read 5155 times)

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP balance (yoga/tabata) cross-training
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
liking my winter stir-crazy workouts..

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP balance (yoga/tabata) cross-training
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »
That was badass!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
Holy smokes, that is some very impressive balance.  The breathing part must be half the battle. 

Wow.  Super strong.     
Support your local shaper

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:52:13 AM »
thx SUPlime.. I have 4 boys in their 20s who don't think yoga* poses help my 'bad-ass factor'.. so enjoyed your words.  Not worried about "bad-ass" anymore..just hoping not to digress too much when I get back on board.. and this is very efficient training for me..

thx LaPerouseBay.. REALLY believe in balance training..and yeah breathing is key for both parts.  try to relax w/ slow deep breaths thru nose for the stretching and balance poses.. and try to find good breathing rhythm for the tabata intervals (but often forget)..

*apologies to real SUP Yoga people.. this is just my way of getting myself to stretch and balance in the gym, but it helps my brain to picture myself somewhere else and call it SUP Yoga ;)

Paddleboardprincess

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddleboard Princess
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
Motivating! That guy is great!

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »
Holy smokes! I feel like a fat slob now. Crap!!! I see a rolled ankle if I tried any of that right now. I ski 140 days a winter and its amazing for balance but HORRIBLE for ankles due to feet/ankles being locked down in a ski boot like a vice. I have sprained both a hundred times and shattered the left leg near ankle because they are now weak. Paddle boarding helps a ton to strengthen those muscles for me, but I really want to get into yoga to help more.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
Damn! Bad Ass is a pretty good descriptor. Balance training to the nth. No way I'd ever be able to do a tenth of that in other than my dreams.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

hdearing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
No doubt Stoneaxe!  I have a ton of balance trainers and use them as much as able. Practice yoga almost every day and can't do most of what he is doing. Mad props. Have more to say about this but gotta go to the gym and try and up my game...

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
thx all..
Steamboat (re/ ankles) - you might want to try the RICE bucket for ankles that bad..
see demo at end of this vid/link -
(around 6:20 mark)

That along with 1-foot balancing on unstable surfaces is a nice combo for ankle re-hab/pre-hab.. and you don't need to do yoga poses on the 1 foot balancing to get results (although it's something fun to shoot for..). 
Just use safe progressions.. i.e. start just balancing on 1-foot middle of flat side bosu.. then progress to moving the ball with your foot by pressing toes toward floor then heel towards floor.. stretching, strengthening and stabilizing.. in the meantime do 1-foot yoga moves on the floor.. if/when comfy, u can start combining moves..

I also luv hopping on the bosu ball side for ankles - like to think of it as "shock absorber" training.. BUT yes rolled ankle is a distinct possibility until you get a feel for it

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
thx all..
Steamboat (re/ ankles) - you might want to try the RICE bucket for ankles that bad..
see demo at end of this vid/link -
(around 6:20 mark)

That along with 1-foot balancing on unstable surfaces is a nice combo for ankle re-hab/pre-hab.. and you don't need to do yoga poses on the 1 foot balancing to get results (although it's something fun to shoot for..). 
Just use safe progressions.. i.e. start just balancing on 1-foot middle of flat side bosu.. then progress to moving the ball with your foot by pressing toes toward floor then heel towards floor.. stretching, strengthening and stabilizing.. in the meantime do 1-foot yoga moves on the floor.. if/when comfy, u can start combining moves..

I also luv hopping on the bosu ball side for ankles - like to think of it as "shock absorber" training.. BUT yes rolled ankle is a distinct possibility until you get a feel for it

THANKS!!! Super helpful. I have just noticed in the last few years my ankles/feet being SUPER sore and I need to do something before its too late. I want to be able to walk when I am 50. I also suffer from gout which is the pain to the tenth degree. I am a mess from the calf down!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal