Author Topic: PSH is closing it's doors in Hawaii ??  (Read 11845 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
PSH is closing it's doors in Hawaii ??
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:16:10 AM »
Does anyone know what is going on with Paddle Surf Hawaii.  They are closing at the end of this month here in Honolulu.

Here is their website with closeout add.
http://www.paddlesurfhawaii.com/the-wassup-daily/

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PSH is closing it's doors in Hawaii ??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:27:15 AM »
It's very sad to see PSH has gone ka-put.

Blane will continue to do his own thing and shape awesome and innovative boards.

DJ
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:56:41 AM by DavidJohn »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 04:25:14 AM »
Could it be the new owner doesn't want a retail store? Maybe they continue via distribution only, like most brands.

I hope somebody who knows, posts here.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »
Saw this on Blueline's Facebook page.  PSH facebook seems to be no more.  Caption reads:  BLANE CHAMBERS DESIGNS NOW AT BLUELINE. DESIGNED IN HAWAII MADE IN CALIFORNIA.

banzai

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
DW you got the scoops, I was there last week and that's exactly what Tiff told me.

Blane has split and has his own Facebook page now for custom boards. I guess I'll be checking out Blueline now. I don't see any Hull Destroyers/Rippers on the rack though. Glad to see that Blane has bounced back from the split.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
boards look sick, wish Blane all the best.

corgi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »
Sad to see PSH closing, the girls that worked there were the best employees of any SUP shop on Oahu.  Always friendly and knowledgeable, they're the ones that helped me when I first started stand up. I wish them and Blane the best in the future.  Got some great deals going on during the closeout and was able to get my brother-in-law a new board and taking him out(first timer) this week.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »
Not a good sign.  If a business like this can't make it in Hawaii of all places (unless he just simply doesn't want to do it anymore) than I kind of take this as meaning the sport has peaked and is now in a decline as far as both growth and popularity.  The growth has been more industry and media driven rather than end user driven.

http://www.supracer.com/a-cautionary-tale/

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
I don't think it marks the peak at all. Stoke Radio interviewed Blane back in January and even then he mentioned that he was parting ways, or may already have, with PSH to pursue a new relationship. Maybe him leaving took a big enough toll on PSH in addition to the other competitors. Must be hard when you have a well-known and respected shaper leave.  I wonder where Imagine would be right now if they hadn't gotten Dave to come on board?

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »
I thought BLAIN was PSH ??  are you guys saying he did not have controlling interest in that company?  Seems like when he hooked up with boardworks was when everything started to go south for the winter. Happened to C4 as well , or so it seems.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
I don't think it marks the peak at all. Stoke Radio interviewed Blane back in January and even then he mentioned that he was parting ways, or may already have, with PSH to pursue a new relationship. Maybe him leaving took a big enough toll on PSH in addition to the other competitors. Must be hard when you have a well-known and respected shaper leave.  I wonder where Imagine would be right now if they hadn't gotten Dave to come on board?

I hope your're right and I'm no industry expert by a long shot.  It just seems odd that a major shop like this in Hawaii would end up closing, but you have a point about losing their main shaper, along with near by competition.  Chances are another SUP specialty shop will open up somewhere on the island.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
Not a good sign.  If a business like this can't make it in Hawaii of all places (unless he just simply doesn't want to do it anymore) than I kind of take this as meaning the sport has peaked and is now in a decline as far as both growth and popularity.  The growth has been more industry and media driven rather than end user driven.

http://www.supracer.com/a-cautionary-tale/

The industry is very young.  Lots of venture capital came in... But the margins just aren't there for a VC rate of return. I dont think we have to worry about any more speculators. There will be lots more shakeouts... Lots of more brands will die... Retailers found that they needed their own brand to stay alive... It's is not quite surf, it is not quite kayak...it is not quite both... The Internet, China, etc.  Tough to survive...

In this industry just like any other, if you can't execute, you die.  

I don't think PSH executed... And they are now no longer with us.

Blaine survived... Good on him!

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
I could be wrong but the interview definitely made it clear that he didn't have full ownership but who knows how things were divided. Maybe there were conflicting views for the future and he sold his share to have more control or freedom?  I'm just making an assumption, I'll see if I can find the interview.  I'm pretty sure he wished them well in future endeavors which made it sound like they would continue to operate as PSH while he shaped on his own or with a new company, or project. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
The cautionary tale has been chewed over for a long time, windsurfing did indeed shoot itself in the foot, becoming more and more about less and less--high performance or nothing. Cruising went away, then freestyle went away, and all there was left was high wind--and it's very hard to learn to be a high-wind windsurfer.

In a lot of ways I don't really care whether or not SUP grows bigger. But I'm pretty certain it will. The growth is pretty steady. Eventually it will tip over and do the usual fad bust, and stabilize at some lower level. I doubt that is happening yet. More likely just a typical shakeout of too many manufacturers and people jumping into the business.

Business is a lot harder to do than most folks understand. People still believe a good idea, some talent, and a little hard work will win the day. I don't think that's ever been true, but it's especially not true today. If you can't do every aspect you'll slowly wither. And when competitors come along that do the things you can't, they'll just take your lunch and shove you off the swing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:13:25 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »
I could be wrong but the interview definitely made it clear that he didn't have full ownership but who knows how things were divided. Maybe there were conflicting views for the future and he sold his share to have more control or freedom?  I'm just making an assumption, I'll see if I can find the interview.  I'm pretty sure he wished them well in future endeavors which made it sound like they would continue to operate as PSH while he shaped on his own or with a new company, or project. 

Here's a link to the Blueline site.  It looks like he's keeping the PHS name for his boards.

http://bluelinepaddlesurf.com/boards/psh.php

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal