Author Topic: San Francisco Bay downwinder- GG to Berkeley  (Read 5643 times)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
San Francisco Bay downwinder- GG to Berkeley
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
During my hardcore windsurf days, we would launch from Crissy Field in SF, sail the bridge for awhile, and then do a downwind run to Berkeley or Emeryville.  Has anyone done this on a stand up?

On an ebbing tide, the waves can be over 8-10' in the channels.

Another possibility would be from Candlestick park to 3rd Street San Mateo Bridge.  I have been in 6-8' waves in the channel under the San Mateo Bridge.

Anyone up for an adventure?
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco Bay downwinder- GG to Berkeley
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »
Another location idea, Point Cavallo to the Sea Trek base in Sausalito.  The rip at Yellow Bluff is one of the worst in the bay.  Many times rowing out, I could here it before I could see it.  In the same area, catching a good flood tide could also be interesting.  Paddle out to Lime Point and go fast coming back.
Here is a pic of me rowing past Lime Pt. during a flood tide.  There is some reverse current right next to the point.  
I didn't mean for the pic to be so big.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:01:28 PM by hbsteve »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »
DW from the Gate to Berkley? How cool. If no one has done it yet someone will this year. What an idea. Candlestick to SM bridge too. Heck, go all the way to the Dumbarton. I am not familiar with the other places but GG to Berkley and a Candlestick put in just sounds.......epic.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »
Everett at Delta Windsurf on Sherman Island says they do downwinders in the river.  But, I think the waves would be so close together, it wouldn't be same as the Bay.

If anyone is interested PM me and I will put an email list together and we can go explore some runs.  The GG to Berkeley would take some planning and a lot of time as the put in and take out points are quite a drive apart. 

Easiest for logistics would be Candlestick to Foster City.  That way it would include going under the bridge, where the waves would be incredible on a strong ebb.  A quick drive up the 101 and your back at candlestick.  I heard the park at Candlestick might be closing or is closed.  Anyone know the status? 
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: San Francisco Bay downwinder- GG to Berkeley
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
I'm a gorge guy and don't live down there, but I'm a commercial pilot and fly the approach to runways 28 (280 degrees, to the west) all the time and I'm always amazed at how big the swell is, especially inside the SM bridge.  Looks like choppy windsurfing, but could really be good downwinding for sure.  Don't know how your tides work, but as far as wind, it looks like a straight shot all the way to Dumbarton.  The wind direction is very consistent when it's from the west.  Plus your never too far from shore if you get in trouble.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
I've flown into SFO a few times as a passenger and always check out the Bay.  So my question is, what about if you fall in?  I don't know if it's any better than the Ala Wai canal on Oahu but it sure appears gnarly.  Other than that, I'd say you might be good to go... oh maybe you'd need to be on the lookout for one of Larry Allison's bazillion dollar catamarans.   I've seen vids of those things in the Bay and they're cookin. 

Being that it's a commercial harbor and things are so uptight now, the authorities might not dig a crossing.  We get crap for just paddling into our little harbor in Kahului.  It might be good to check in with whoever before you do it.

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »
Headmount, I think you have fins on the brain.  You meant Ellison, not Allison.  Speaking of Oracle, Jimmy Spithill is winning all the SUP races here on his 14 Fanatic.  The guy is really fast!

Not sure about restrictions on the Bay.  When there is wind, we have a large population of kiters and boarders out zipping across the gate.

I would be down for a SF Bay Blast sometime...Put me on the list!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »
Fins yes but wasn't referring to sharks... only Ellison with an E.

How polluted do you think it is in the Bay?  I think right by the gate where the wndsurfrs and kiters are, there is probably more circulation than elsewhere.   

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »
By "fins" I mean SUP fins from Larry Allison, not the gray swimming kind.  I don't know about the water quality in the bay.  I don't think it's an issue for water sports.  There are lots of triathlons in the bay, swimmers every day down at Aquatic Park near Fisherman's Wharf and the tourist area.

After large storms they will sometimes close or post warnings on the beaches here within the bay.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
HM,
The water isn't as clean as what you took Jase and I on last May.  But the winds howwwwwwl!  And the waves get big.  I have sailed Candlestick and the Airport, the San Mateo Bridge, and Dumbarton bridge 3-4 days a week back in the 80's, and got a few infections when I went out with open cuts.  I suspect its worse now than 20 years ago.  But I can't get the thought of those waves out of my head.  I used to throw back rolls off some those babies, and had to bail cause I still had 15' to drop. 
I really think the Bay will give us some really good downwind runs.  We just have to find'em.
We will be back in Maui the first two weeks of December so we will see you then , if your around.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 01:42:44 PM »
Hi,

Anyone doing SUP downwinders in the south bay this season? 

My wife and drove over the San Mateo bridge a few weeks ago and it looked epic.

Launching somewhere on the Peninsula and going all the way to Dumbarton or so sounds fantastic.  I'm looking for info on launch and finish points and people to go with...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »
In San Rafael, 101 Surf Sports sets up group downwinders.  Yes it is North Bay, not South Bay.  They are a large SIC distributor.  If I recall correctly, they launch from a boat.  So, they can pick launch points based on conditions.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
Sounds interesting, but way out of my league at present.  I have never been on a downwinder or race board yet, but will try out a rental some day and see how it goes on a calm day on the ocean.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »
I was at a meeting at Gilead and it was just ripping out there. It was hard to concentrate on the task at hand.  This run is on my long term bucket list for sure. Next time I am in SF I hope.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »
In San Rafael, 101 Surf Sports sets up group downwinders.  Yes it is North Bay, not South Bay.  They are a large SIC distributor.  If I recall correctly, they launch from a boat.  So, they can pick launch points based on conditions.

Thanks for posting.  I suspect you are referring to Drew and his boat the Barbary Ghost?  I have done a couple downwind trips on his boat, super fun and a great safe way to get into DW.  He mostly stays north of the Bay Bridge.  There is also a boat via Bluerush and they seem to stay close to Sausalito and GG bridge.  I have been organizing car shuttles in Alameda and from Treasure Island to Emeryville.

My interest in the south bay is I have heard tales of head to overhead bumps and that seems like a lower boat traffic area that has good access.  So far this year I have yet to see anything bigger than 3-4 feet...

Here is the video from my wife's iphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ6xLFno5EQ
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal