Author Topic: Naish Hokua 8'5 vs 9'0  (Read 11665 times)

Frankfumich

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish Hokua 8'5 vs 9'0
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
I'm in need of some advice in deciding between a Hokua 8'5 vs 9'0. I'm a lower to mid intermediate surfer weighing 165 lbs, and surf on the east coast mostly during summer time w average at best waves...unless there's a storm. I currently have a 9'3 C4 Subvector for the last few summers which I've mastered and wanting to go smaller. A couple summers ago I went way shorter w the Hokua 7'8 but it was too small. I enjoy the benefits of paddle speed and glide and getting into waves early but w the 7'8, it was basically 1 stroke and turning so I would just sit in the regular lineup, which to me, defeated the purpose of my SUP surfing. I'm wondering whether I would like the 8'5 or 9'0 better for stability and paddling into the waves, since I figure the performance once on the wave, will be so much better with either, compared to my current SubV. thanks for any advice!

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Hokua 8'5 vs 9'0
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »
I would not advise the hokuas, which are boards designed for powerful waves, and will feel sluggish on east coast summer waves. You will have much more fun with wide, short, early planing boards (fast rocker).
I do not the Naish line well, but I guess from the web site more in the line of a Mana 8'5", but frankly, I think you will love any "simmons"-derived shapes that are discussed in this forum (see "Believe the Hype") around 8'5"

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »

I like my 9'0 hokua a lot..it has been my go to board for a long time. I can ride pretty much any wave with it. I disagree with Colas that they are only made for powerful waves. I ride the 9'0'' on the south shore of Oahu which its share of slop. Especially considering the 5 fin boxes, which increase the usable range quite a bit IMO. 

Now if paddle speed, glide and stability is something you think about you might want to consider the 8'10 Mana.
It is a killer board..and perfect for non-perfect waves..a little flatter rocker, but easy to throw around...I got that for my wife.

That said I have a simsup that I am working on getting better at riding. A lot of fun too.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:18:47 AM »
the south shore of Oahu which its share of slop.

I have a hard time believing that the south shore of oahu "slop" is even remotely comparable to east coast summer "slop" :-)

Frankfumich

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »
thanks guys and I'm w colas on that comment!ha

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
the south shore of Oahu which its share of slop.

I have a hard time believing that the south shore of oahu "slop" is even remotely comparable to east coast summer "slop" :-)

haha, that I know nothing about. I just had the 8'10 out knee high to overhead. Had a headhigh wave al to me self in one of the busier places...unreal!!!

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:50:03 PM »
To say nothing of the Hawaiian way of measuring waves... Hawaiian 1' is what we call 3' in the rest of the world :-)

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:31:03 AM »
I ride the 9' and weigh 200lbs with advanced skills. The 8'5 will out perform the 9' in small to medium surf. For your weight the 8'5 should be a good fit. I owned the 8'5 for a time and used it during our summer months. For my weight it was a bit more work than I wanted so the 9' is perfect for me in all conditions here in Hawaii. I would suggest trying to rent or demo the 8'5 if possible. It is a really progressive board but may not be the best board for the type of conditions you have. Hard to know unless you actually try one in those conditions. If one is not available then it might make sense to stick with what is proven in the conditions you frequent most often. I have a personal rule that I will never buy a board I can't try first, especially with today's prices. Best of luck in your search. 

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »

had another session on the 8'10. Killer board. Isn't as good as the 9'0' in steeper cleaner waves, but great drive and off the top performance.

Personally at 200lb, if I had one board it would be the 9'0'' hokua, but this one comes in pretty close given the conditions here..

TP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »
How does the 8'5"and 9'0" compare to the 9'3" Hokua?

Specifically the speed and stability?

NatalSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
I need some advice...

About three months I bought a starboard pocket rocket 8'5". In the begining  thought it was too small,  but It has been growing in my feet.

The use is sup surf in brazilian northeast, which means beachbreaks with, in good days, 4~5 feet waves.

I´m wondering for something like a hokua 8'5" which has different shape (compared with the PR) and a similar volume (115 l and the PR has 126 l). Problem is nearby here we do not have lots of sup boards and I´ve never seen something similar a Hokua.

The doubt is the Hokua 8'5"will not be big?

Can I try something smaller? Hokua 7'8" has only 90 liters!!! Is it possible for someone weighting 180 lbs?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »
I need some advice...

About three months I bought a starboard pocket rocket 8'5". In the begining  thought it was too small,  but It has been growing in my feet.

The use is sup surf in brazilian northeast, which means beachbreaks with, in good days, 4~5 feet waves.

I´m wondering for something like a hokua 8'5" which has different shape (compared with the PR) and a similar volume (115 l and the PR has 126 l). Problem is nearby here we do not have lots of sup boards and I´ve never seen something similar a Hokua.

The doubt is the Hokua 8'5"will not be big?

Can I try something smaller? Hokua 7'8" has only 90 liters!!! Is it possible for someone weighting 180 lbs?

Hokua and beach breaks are great companions. I have the 9'0 115lb and 7'6'' which is 110l. The board is stable for its size.... The only really big issue is your weight compared to the board flotation...I almost went to the 8'5'' but I'm 200lb now so I felt having the 9'0'' as a big board was good.

It might take some time to get used to a shorter board, but it is all good tho. :-) I do not know the pocket rocket so it is a bit hard to compare, but as a shape the hokuas answer all my questions with "Yes I can". 

NatalSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »

The actual board is this one. It has lots of nose volume. The doubt is... A 8'5" Hokua with 115 l concentrated in central part "will be bigger" then a PR with 126 l and its bulky
nose?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »
I can't speak to the SB, but I ride the Hokua 8'5 at 170-180lbs.  It's not too tough, but I wouldn't call it super floaty at that weight either.

My buddy has ridden it a few times and he's 190-200lbs.  He manages is, but it takes some effort.

I'm sure the Hokua is going to feel smaller than the SB, 11L difference is noticable, but it certainly isn't going to be impossible to ride at 180lbs.

With the pulled in nose the Hokua is a totally different animal.  It can handle fast and steep waves better compared to a full nose board.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 03:14:11 AM »
I can't speak to the SB, but I ride the Hokua 8'5 at 170-180lbs.  It's not too tough, but I wouldn't call it super floaty at that weight either.

My buddy has ridden it a few times and he's 190-200lbs.  He manages is, but it takes some effort.

I'm sure the Hokua is going to feel smaller than the SB, 11L difference is noticable, but it certainly isn't going to be impossible to ride at 180lbs.

With the pulled in nose the Hokua is a totally different animal.  It can handle fast and steep waves better compared to a full nose board.

Yup, pretty much my take on it too. I like the pulled in nose...especially if you ride the beachbreak type waves..steeper waves are the where the hokuas shine...but they can still take on sloppier waves. :-) 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal