Author Topic: Question???  (Read 7322 times)

Dave J

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question???
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »
Does anyone have any problems with their feet going numb? I only have this problem when paddling flat water and usually about 45 min-1 hour into the paddle my feet start going numb. I try to move them around occasionally to remove the pressure. I don't have this problem when surfing cause I move around a lot more, sit periodically, and of course fall.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Question???
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »
Yup. That's why I move around so much. That and practicing for surf. I do a lot of cross steping and moving to the front of the board, just to keep from being planted on the board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »
PhantomFeet

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:56:43 AM »
Does anyone have any problems with their feet going numb? I only have this problem when paddling flat water and usually about 45 min-1 hour into the paddle my feet start going numb. I try to move them around occasionally to remove the pressure. I don't have this problem when surfing cause I move around a lot more, sit periodically, and of course fall.
Yes......All the time.....Doing the paddle board race (10 miles) this passed Saturday my feet went to sleep.

Haven't figured out a way counter it, but I'm sure the experts can shine some light to this problem.

Aloha....Sam

P.S....Maybe if we paddle just as fast as them (experts) there's no need to worry.......LOL  :D

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 09:58:22 AM »
Yep I do the same with moving my feet around.  Seems like all the pads do it.  Some may be better than others but it happens.  If I am on flat water I just try to move around to keep from it happening.  If I am in the surf, I sit down and take a break.  Its all good.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »
I found the problem peculiar to certain pad designs.

My feet went numb on boards I owned with Dakine and Jimmy Lewis pads. Both of these were extra aggressive in design, with slightly firmer rubber.

Boards that I owned with pads from C4, NSI, and the PSH house brand, never had this problem.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:29:37 AM »
I found that wearing Croc's helps heaps for those long flat water paddles.

DJ

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »
I also keep moving around a fair amount.

Four of us were the water patrol for a local triathlon this past weekend and were on the water for 4 hours yesterday paddling around a triangle course on a lake.
Every time my feet started to tingle I would walk around - even paddling my board tail first a few times to keep me moving.

The event was great - although for some of the beginner classes it was more like herding cats than it was water patrol.
I have never seen people make a 90 degree turn in 2 strokes!

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »
I found the problem peculiar to certain pad designs.

My feet went numb on boards I owned with Dakine and Jimmy Lewis pads. Both of these were extra aggressive in design, with slightly firmer rubber.

Boards that I owned with pads from C4, NSI, and the PSH house brand, never had this problem.
From what I hear.....Dakine & C4 are made from the same manufacture. I find the same problem with both of these pads

DJ
This is my next move.......I'm seriously looking into using Croc's to paddle in long distance races. I just need to keep them from moving (slipping/sliding under my feet) around so much. Using a smaller size may not work for me.

Aloha.....Sam

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
My feet definitely went numb during every long training session for the CCBC numb during and sore after. Biggest problem I have is with my feet I think. I wore my boots with gel pads in them for the crossing....helped a lot. I don't have the same problem when I'm surfing.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »

DJ

DL..I don't mean any harm but if I paddled out at this very aggro spot I surf, (1st Street) wearing crocs..I'd have to relocate to Australia to get away from all the sh**t  I'd catch. My fellow paddlers would avoid me like the red tide and my 16 year old daughter would change her last name to Spears and Bill Foote would come over here and reposess all my stand up boards! But what the hell..they are really comfortable.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »
My feet definitely went numb during every long training session for the CCBC numb during and sore after. Biggest problem I have is with my feet I think. I wore my boots with gel pads in them for the crossing....helped a lot. I don't have the same problem when I'm surfing.

I have a lot of foot problems and have put gel insoles inside my booties for windsurfing and prone surfing as well as SUPing. Really makes a big difference. If my feet are bothering me, I'll wear my Keen sandals while SUPing.
And no, I do not wear black knee socks, penny loafers and Bermuda shorts when I cut the lawn.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:19:03 PM »
don't worry, the feeling goes away...
...then gangrene sets in.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

jjue

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »

Ha ,  that is why I like this forum , you guys discuss   all the things us newbies  may want to discuss  but are afraid to ask :)!  after an hour   session  of flat water paddling the other day ,  I could not feel  my feet   .. I thought  it  was because I was  a total wimp and  just had to wait for the proper  padded calluses to form on the bottom of my feet  or some other  SUP  specific  bodily adaptation ... :)!!!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:26:42 PM by jjue »

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 02:41:09 PM »

Ha ,  that is why I like this forum , you guys discuss   all the things us newbies  may want to discuss  but are afraid to ask :)!  after an hour   session  of flat water paddling the other day ,  I could not feel  my feet   .. I thought  it  was because I was  a total wimp and  just had to wait for the proper  padded calluses to form on the bottom of my feet  or some other  SUP  specific  bodily adaptation ... :)!!!!

LOL and agreed!

Even as I progress, this sport is so HUMBLING i feel like I will be a "newbie" forever anyway!...LOL.........and oh YEA, my feet go numb on long flat water paddles as well. IMO it is basically a blood flow issue. To stop that from happening I do two things.

#1-use 3 different paddling stances (parallel, reg & goofy foot).

I typically start off going parallel, but I also go to my surf stance quite often. This not only helps to improve overall balance, but also give you a chance to work on 180 and 360 degree spin turns. Which in turn improves wave catching and late takeoffs. I also practice going goofy foot a lot. I was never very good at switch stance with prone surfing because I never worked on it. However, with the aid of the paddle for balance, switching stance is somewhat easier. With enough practice in flat water you can try it on the waves. By using those 3 stances I find my feet rarely go numb.

#2-when all that fails and your feet still feel numb? I just sit or kneel down. It allows the blood to circulate again and is also a great opportunity to slow down and absorb the beauty of your surroundings. We usually flat water paddle in either the harbor up a local river. The view of both places is breathtaking and just a few minutes of kneeling or sitting and you are ready to stand again, with no numbness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal