Author Topic: New Toyota Tacoma - rack ideas?  (Read 33627 times)

NoogaSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Toyota Tacoma - rack ideas?
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:11 AM »
So my trusty 2008 Tundra is gone (wasn't so trusty any more).  Picked up a 4 door Tacoma to replace it.

Roof is naked right now.  Our garage looks like the Yakima warehouse, all I need is the clips.  But, I got to thinking - the OEM racks Toyota has look sleek and would likely be a lot quieter.  I also like the fact I won't damage the paint with the OEM racks.

I'll be carrying 12'6 and 14' boards.  No camper shell on the truck (for now).  If I do get a camper shell it would likely have to be a high top model in order to fit my bikes in the bed.

Any ideas?  Anyone have experience with the OEM racks on the Tacomas?  How good of a fit is the Yakima (Q Tower system)?  Any photos to share of successful Tacoma solutions?

Thanks.

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Toyota Tacoma - rack ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:16:15 AM »
I had TracRac on my Tacoma.  They were perfect.  I figure 10,000 Hawaiian pickup truck driving surfers can't be wrong.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

NoogaSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
Yes, but those (as well as the similar product that Thule offers) would preclude the addition of a camper shell at some point down the road.

I'm more curious about options for the cab roof right now.

Thanks.

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »
Just checked out the OEM racks by Toyota.  Did I read it correctly that the load is 75 lbs?  I wouldn't trust that low of a rating.  If you got the bars, just buy new clips and be done.  Or, go ahead with  the bed cover and rack it for an even better solution. 

The Toyota rack installed could be expensive. 

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 07:39:13 AM »
As a Tacoma owner, very interested in this thread too.
I have a hitch "trailer" that works pretty well, see below.

In this position I do worry about tailgaters and getting rear ended. I discovered the other day that I can switch the bar, so that the short part of the L goes into receiver, then the T bar is even with the roof of the truck.

I then just strapped the board (in a bag) to the roof, through the cab. This worked surprisingly well.

I have a long trip to FL coming up and want to take several boards. I'm thinking of using the lower configuration, resting the boards on the cover while strapping them down at tail and nose. This would keep them out of the wind and save on gas.

Anyway, just an option for you.

I was considering a single bar/roof rack in conjunction with my tongue trailer, but wind resistance is a consideration too.

Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »
I just retired my Toyota T-100.  17 years and 331,00  miles and running strong when I sold it.  Eight foot bed handled the SUP transport just fine - no racks needed.  I bought a 2013 Tacoma Access cab PreRunner two weeks ago.  I decided to go with the Thule 500 XSporter racks and got the special clamps that fit the track along the interior top of the pickup bed. They came Friday and I was going to install them this past weekend  but.....    It got windy both days so I went kiting instead.  Priorities doncha know.   

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:51 AM »
+1 on the TrackRack. The perfect solution IMHO
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »
I have the OEM Toyota racks.  They are slick, quiet and work quite well. Don't pay for installation, they go on with a few screws.  The roof has threaded inserts built in, hidden under some rubber trim.  The trim pops out, the racks screw on and you are done.  Much cleaner than aftermarket, and out of the way when not in use.  I've used mine on long highway trips with multiple boards, and I've used them with my 14' BARK as well.  Regular roof racks are a 2-3 mpg hit on the highway, which hurts when they are empty.  These swing parallel to the sides of the truck when not in use.

Shop around online, there are many brick and mortar Toyota dealers that discount the OEM accessories like roof racks.

NoogaSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »
Andy -

Thanks for the pictures.  Two questions for you:

What is the distance between the crossbars on your factory racks?

and

Do the racks sit higher than the XM antenna, such that the antenna won't hit the board?

Thanks.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »

Just checked out the OEM racks by Toyota.  Did I read it correctly that the load is 75 lbs?  I wouldn't trust that low of a rating.

They hold a lot more than 75#.  If you have something heavy, load it near the edges.  Big  boards and boats won't begin to strain these bars.   They curve upwards, like a bridge.  

Check some out in person.  OEM Toyota stuff is hard to beat for fit and finish.

What is the distance between the crossbars on your factory racks?

and

Do the racks sit higher than the XM antenna, such that the antenna won't hit the board?

43"
I don't have the antenna, but the top of the bar is about 2-3/4".

A tailgate extender works great for 14 foot boards.  If you get a high top shell the cab racks won't be very useful for boards.   

Double cabs rule.  I like being set up to carry people.  Especially on the spur of the moment when paddlers are looking for a ride up.   

My setup is a bit different, I have a 52" Thule bar across the front of my OEM racks.  This allows a lot of long skinny stuff, which is mainly what I carry. 
This wooden gizmo let's us secure stuff safely right out to the edges.  Adds a lot of security.  And no one is safer than outrigger paddlers.  Fragile cargo. 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:27:28 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
Spread of the load bars on the Factory Tacoma racks is 45".  This is plenty, even for my 14' Bark traveling at highway speeds.  Also, the bars are plenty strong from a load perspective.  I've loaded them up with lumber that I'm sure weighed more than 75 pounds without any problems.

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
LaPerouseBay: What did you use to wrap your bars and what kind of wood did you use for your strap hold down?
Thanks

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
^ The wood is teak.  A light sanding and a dab of teak oil every 6 months or so keeps them looking like new.  I'm a wood guy, so I gotta have some wood on my racks.  They are fastened with T nuts that slide in the bar groves. 

The blue foam is a big pool noodle (3 1/2") cut in half and shaped to the top of the bar.  The pipe wrap tape is plumber's wrap, 2 mil.

Like most, I started with the store bought pads.  All the stuff I carry has high pressure points that smash the foam flat.  I learned from the old outrigger guys.  They don't like stress cracks.       

The pipe tape has excellent durability.  Mine looks like new after years in the sun.  The thicker foam squishes to form a nice saddle with any shape.  And the tape grips well.  This system needs much less tension on the straps.

Support your local shaper

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
I don't think my pic will help much, but I just want to join in on the celebration of Tacoma Crew Cab love.  Told my wife my vehicle decision is made for the rest of my life.  When the current one dies, I don't even need to comparison shop.  Only problem is that, any time I spend with people who have the newer models make me want to hasten the demise of mine.  The newer models are a step up from my 2002.  Put aftermarket bars on the shell.  Use Pipe insulation wrapped in duct tape on the bars.  Need to replace it every 2 years or so.

The "Cabana Mobile" doing what it was born to do:
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

NoogaSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
Cool stuff from all.  I need to make a decision soon - the weather is getting good here finally.

So, what are you guys (particularly those of you with short beds) doing with your paddles in / on your Tacomas?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard