Author Topic: Dropping Acid is SO cool... and so is Joel Tudor... just ask him!  (Read 14926 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dropping Acid is SO cool... and so is Joel Tudor... just ask him!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
Acid leads to things like Phish concerts.

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
I like a lot of what he has to say, just not the Acid part:

And surf culture now?
It’s a different time. I mean the kids these days think it’s normal to take a filmer to the beach and make a video about yourself and put it up on the Internet. For some reason it is just completely cool to blow your own horn in 2012. Like there’s nothing wrong with being an egomaniac and basing your entire existence from sunup to sundown on producing yourself as a cool person. In my day, if you did that, you were done. My car would still be getting destroyed every time I parked it in the lot. Today, it’s all about yourself and how to make yourself seem cool. How much talent you have doesn’t seem to matter. It’s cool to film and make videos and all that shit, but not if that’s your sole purpose for surfing. If you can’t go to the beach and have fun without a filmer, well something’s wrong.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
I'm the first to chime in that company's are all about putting over their team riders. It's disgusting. Like only pros can surf. So yeah, sometimes the nobody's need to put their pics and videos up to get some recognition.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »

And surf culture now?
It’s a different time. I mean the kids these days think it’s normal to take a filmer to the beach and make a video about yourself and put it up on the Internet. For some reason it is just completely cool to blow your own horn in 2012. Like there’s nothing wrong with being an egomaniac and basing your entire existence from sunup to sundown on producing yourself as a cool person. In my day, if you did that, you were done. My car would still be getting destroyed every time I parked it in the lot. Today, it’s all about yourself and how to make yourself seem cool. How much talent you have doesn’t seem to matter. It’s cool to film and make videos and all that shit, but not if that’s your sole purpose for surfing. If you can’t go to the beach and have fun without a filmer, well something’s wrong.

No disrespect, but I hear that Sadam Hussein had very good table manners.  Yes, just a smidgen of absurdity to make my point...  Disagreeing with that paragraph would be absurd.  I just think that it is funny that it came from Joel's mouth.

Joel is too busy projecting himself as a cool person to realize that he is projecting himself as a cool person.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
Acid leads to things like Phish concerts.

Hey I resemble this comment in the strongest of terms!   ;D
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
I always preferred my acid with a side of Grateful Dead, then again maybe I'm just old !!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:57:02 PM »

And surf culture now?

No disrespect, but I hear that Sadam Hussein had very good table manners.  Yes, just a smidgen of absurdity to make my point...  Disagreeing with that paragraph would be absurd.  I just think that it is funny that it came from Joel's mouth.

Joel is too busy projecting himself as a cool person to realize that he is projecting himself as a cool person.

SL

^This. 

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »

And surf culture now?

SL

Do we not owe JT a bit for Simmons inspired boards and riding a SUP in One California Day. Maybe a little regulating at The Reef is good? Hey SL how about that for a loaded statement.

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, we don't owe JT shit!!!!!!!!   That may be harsh, but so be it.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I don't think there is a way to criticize the culture of your sport without sounding like you know/represent a better way.  That said, I didn't know he knew martial arts in any form, and I don't know why he ended getting beat in the first place.  Anyone know the reason why?

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »
I don't think there is a way to criticize the culture of your sport without sounding like you know/represent a better way.  That said, I didn't know he knew martial arts in any form, and I don't know why he ended getting beat in the first place.  Anyone know the reason why?

He was a haole riding lonboards on the North Shore... and a smart ass.

SL

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »
I always preferred my acid with a side of Grateful Dead, then again maybe I'm just old !!!

I only said Phish because GD is no more.  Then again I'm not sure if Phish is still around.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
Say what you will about JT but he is an amazing surfer and one of my favorites to watch.  He does seem to contradict himself a lot.  He goes on about how he hates “progressive” longboarding but he’s one of pioneers of it (but has since focused on “traditional”).  He goes on about how he hates SUP but he’s done it before.  He goes on about how he hates leashes but you can Google clips of him wearing one.  He claims to not drink or do drugs but there’s a clip of him on a boat trip hammered, and ofcouse this statement about acid.  He is what he is but I still like to watch him surf.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
I don't know anything about him other than I have seen very strong opinions about him here in the past and now and from what I see in the article he seems pompous and all over the place without any real commitment on anything.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:45:31 PM by lucabrasi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal