Author Topic: Nicaragua - another SUP trip to the land of lakes and volcanos (pics)  (Read 3657 times)

endlessfight

here's a little write up and a trip review on my last couple weeks in nica. i don't have near as many pictures to post this time as my girlfriend didn't come with me....so no personal photographer on the beach anymore haha. i ride a starboard 7'11" down there.

the first week i spent down south to see some friends and get my party fix. stayed around the san juan del sur area.

there are some really fun waves and a good variety in southern nica; however the water is a lot colder and you will have to deal with some crowds. i stayed south of town and explored a few different breaks.

this beach was one of the beaches used when they filmed survivor nicaragua. we showed up early and there was no one out. it was just my friend and i on a shortboard and then another guy showed up and that was it. i had just snapped my back fin off with my knee the night before so i was a little sore but it didnt matter when i saw this wave.

the break was a left wedge off some rocks. it was pretty cool because i have never surfed a wave like this before. it was a challenge with a steep takeoff but offered some good rides for sure!

you can see how it just wedges up.

here's a couple of me riding that wave on the SUP

after that i cruised around inland for a couple days and explored some places. nicaragua is such a beautiful country with so much diversity

after that i went up north to where the waves are warm and empty. i chose a bad week to head up north as early morning was pretty much dead low tide. most of the breaks up there, and where i was staying are mid to high tide. nicaragua gets windy as hell in the dry season no matter where you are in the country and by about 930am the winds just crank offshore and you are not going to be SUPing out in winds like that.

i did some traditional nica fishing in the downtime. no luck tho.

i spent my time playing the ukulele, relaxing in a hammock, reading the latest issues of SUP the mag and SUP journal, and taking my gopro out in to the low-tide closeouts and getting thrashed trying to do some clark little'esque barrel shots. here's a few that turned out that i liked.

on my very last day there (last sunday) a swell came through finally. it had been super small all week, however it was going to be still low tide in the morning when the winds would be good so i didn't have a choice. there is a rivermouth that works on low tide and just fires when a swell comes in. i have never surfed a rivermouth before and this was a fast hollow wave with a few real fast sections in it. if you can't speed pump you're gonna get mowed. on top of it the rip out was so strong so you really didn't want to get caught on the inside!

i was out solo and a guy on the beach had a point and shoot and took a couple snaps of me. i got about 5 or 6 waves and two of them were pretty big outside sets that just reeled along the sandbar forever before you were in a foot of water. they were def the best rides i had in nica my whole trip.

on the next shot in the wave you can just barely see the top of my head on my bottom turn.

here's the end of another wave. you can see how this thing just peels left

now i gotta wait about another month here until the ice can melt enough that i can get back in the water!

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nicaragua - another SUP trip to the land of lakes and volcanos (pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
Great pics of a beautiful country. Love the tube shots and the rivermouth. You were locked in!
Now about that ice up in Canada ...

endlessfight

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »
thanks man have fun down there next month! i told phil i was sending a crew of SUPers his way and he knew who i was talking about! haha

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
Great shots EF! 

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
Nice.   Bodysurfing warm tubes and a reeling rivermouth, not bad.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »
Great stuff Endless-i enjoyed all the Instagram posts!
Man i gotta get some land down there!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Supmmm

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
That tube shot with just your forehead poking out of the water is great. If u didn't know any better you would think that it was some sort of artsy collage. Way cool pics.

endlessfight

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:29:28 AM »
Thanks guys! If you ever get a chance to go do it. always something to ride and its cheap cheap cheappppp down there. sup is still fairly unknown so no stink eye in the water from other surfers

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »
Endless,  I've enjoyed looking at your journey through pictures.  Great pictures.  I can look at them all day long!  Keep posting.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
Sweet! I want a left like that!

Where did you fly into? How much should a person budget for a couple weeks down there?
Don't forget to bring a towel!

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »
Nice trip and pics.
Clark Little would be proud!
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 03:04:29 AM »
endless
Thanks for another great SUP travelogue! It's nice to the sights along with the waves, helps fill in the blanks.
That one steep volcano was pretty impressive looking... sort of Bali-Hai..ish.
Great trip!

Soon..... the ice will leave soon.... just don't get out there while it's leaving ;)

endlessfight

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 04:57:45 AM »
cheers for the comments!

14 West...you can fly right to the capitol; managua. for you i bet you could score fairly cheap flights out of seattle or just over the border. you know how screwed we canadians usually get on flights. for a budget, a good to average price would be 50/day which includes lodging drinks/booze and food.  350 a week and then a bit extra for transportation costs and you should be good. depends on the place, and where in the country you are however

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:24:05 PM »
Mind telling me where we should go? We are hoping to go somewhere new, maybe in April or maybe this fall and this might be just the ticket. Anything we need to do before going? Visa required?

Thanks Bru!
Don't forget to bring a towel!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
Some of those sunset shots were fantastic!  Thanks for all of them.  I've heard that lake cranks with the wind.  Could be a great DW spot.  Looked like that one pic would be at the finish point.  However I'm sure getting to the upwind launch point probably wouldn't be easy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal