Author Topic: Bote Ahab  (Read 32502 times)

supgeek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Bote Ahab
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:46:01 AM »
Has anyone seen or tried the new Bote Ahab board? It is a 14' board that looks pretty cool for us big guys.

Just looking to see if anyone has any thoughts on it yet.

Finsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bote Ahab
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »
Hi Supgeek, i think the Ahab is still preorder only, looks like a nice fishing platform for those skinny Florida waters for sure.  Up here in Upstate NY, i use my surftech universal, also good for us larger guys and fishing off it is a breeze. 
I would love to try out the Ahab, but a bit out of my SUP budget.  Let us know if you get a chance to try one.

Finsup

supconkc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
I have a 12ft. Bote board, fish paddle and surf and love it. It has the tackle rack and yeti cooler to sit or stand on. Nice to have all the options of what you want to do. I think it is rated for 350lbs.
12ft. Bote Board fish, paddle, surf. Bamboo inlay, white rails. Amundson 12 6 TR2 touring/race board.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »
Why does that sound like a bad name for a floating vessel?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supconkc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »
34" wide, 8" thick and 39 lbs plus will hold up to 500 lbs. Has thru holes for anchoring in the shallows. that thing is huge!! My bote board is 32 wide, 5" thick and weighs 32lbs. Max weight is 350lbs. The yeti cooler weighs in at 17 lbs by itself. I dont know if I could paddle that big thing all day long!
12ft. Bote Board fish, paddle, surf. Bamboo inlay, white rails. Amundson 12 6 TR2 touring/race board.

supgeek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
I already have a Lakeshore Paddle Company River Rover. It is great for exploring and long distance fitness floats.  It is 14' and 31" wide and 6".

I have crappy balance in addition to being tall and a big guy. I just don't think I can fly fish off it and stay upright. Plus, adding another board would allow paddling with my significant other  ;D ... I call that last part "rationalization/justification".

The pics and videos of the Ahab look cool. I agree there might have been a better name. It's good to hear about happy 12"6 Bote owners.

JCM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:25:07 AM »
WOW - its been a REALLY long time since i've been on the forum (I think close to a year, maybe 2).
This is exactly the thread i was looking for.
I'm thinking of getting a new board (very possibly pulling the trigger today). Was looking at the BOTE boards for fishing off of and was wondering what people thought.
Think i might stay away from the AHAB, only reason is not sure i want a 14' board.
What are people's thoughts on the other boards, the BOTE HD or the Flood HD.  I think the V shaped hull is driving me to the HD's.
Mostly fishing lakes reservoirs, and the Long Island Sound (Norwalk/Westport area)

Any other board companies i should be looking at?

Finsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:19:33 AM »
I cannot comment on Bote boards as i have never touched or ridden one, but displacement is the way to go.  I just upgraded from a planing (long board style) to a displacement and love it.  Tracks great and cuts the waves nice, i do all flat-water touring and fishing. 

My new board is a Tahoe SUP Rubicon 2013.  12'X30", weighs 28lbs.  This is their Koreguard board, makes it less susceptible to dings than the traditional epoxy, glass boards.

Tim

supgeek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »
The Tahoe boards look cool too.

I am still trying to get an Ahab. I was scheduled to get one a few weeks ago, but it was suddenly not available yet. My dealer stays the demand is greater than they expected. The next delivery date is mid-May.

Crossing my fingers...

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
I bought a Bote Board 12' yesterday.  Have yet to take it out other than my demo run.  I have a very busy week and work, and it is killing me. 

I had thought I was going to get the HD model with the hybrid displacement nose, but the rep talked me out of it.  Big concern with the HD is in the ocean. If you are coming in through the surf you are very likely to roll the HD, as you can't get back on the board (due to the cooler and the tackle rack) to get the nose out of the water.  The HD nose will prevent the board from turning, so any yaw at all and you are going over.  Rolling a board with the tackle rack installed is bad news.  Way too much stress on the board. 

The original bote did better than I expected in the wind and chop, although obviously not as well as the HD.  It's also serviceable as a fat guy / small wave surfer. 

I like the idea of the Ahab (none were in stock), but 34" wide is just too much board. It's not needed for stability.  It's also $900 more than the original Bote. 

JCM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 06:53:15 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a Bote HD, think it was the accessories that sold me over the TahoeSUP.
showed up on Thursday, got it out on a lake on Sunday. didn't really go anywhere water was freezing cold and it was windy. Wasn't prepared to slip into the drink. but was really happy with the board. great float, even with all the gear.
my only complaint - I'm short so it was tough to get the board on top of my Tahoe and then double stack the second board, but I'd blame that on genetics. 
(My Channel Islands board is always really easy to load up, but its slightly different size/shape)

supgeek - did you look into ordering directly from Bote?  I prefer going through a shop, i would rather support local business. I was going to go though a dealer but of the two dealers near me, one did not order from Bote anymore, they didn't have much demand for the board and the other was closed on the day i went by, so i just ordered direct.

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
You might have to break down and get a station wagon if you want to load two boards.    ;)

I'm 6'4" and I wouldn't enjoy putting two boards on a Tahoe. 

Playing hooky in the morning and taking my bote fishing.  Just picked up a little 1.5 lb anchor at lunch to see how it does.  Can't wait!

JCM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 07:19:39 AM »
I  like the anchor idea - would be interested in hearing how it works and how you set it up.

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »
You might have to break down and get a station wagon if you want to load two boards.    ;)

I'm 6'4" and I wouldn't enjoy putting two boards on a Tahoe. 

Hasn't been much of a problem for me, and I'm only 6'1". These are 12' Lakeshore Paddleboards & weigh around 40+ lbs each.

--
Bill

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 10:04:04 AM »
I used a 3-step step ladder when I put my 14' Naish Glide on the roof rack. Then I just started putting it inside my Avalanche. The back seat goes down then slide the board between the two front seats. It would stick out about a foot. Here is a picture of my 11'6" Surftech that I just slide in behind the front seat put a bungee cord to the leash string bingo.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut