Author Topic: A better way to dry your wetsuit  (Read 6778 times)

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
A better way to dry your wetsuit
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
So I'm an engineer and tend to over think things. I bought this Underwater Kenetics Wetsuit dryer with the wire hanging out of it, that plugs into 120Volt outlet. My wife got sick of seeing it out front every morning after i went to work with my wetsuit drying from it.  If you don't have one check it out, they work really well...but you need to plug them in.

http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/hangair-drying-system#.URUyn6WG6-I

So being the dork that I am, I didn't want to be restricted to hanging my suit where there was a plug and also the thing ran all night even after my suit was well dried, wasting energy and making noise. 

I checked the voltage and it just happens to work with a 14 Volt rechargeable drill motor battery. I had an older one laying around, put some alligator clips on it and now presto wamo....problem solved. I can hang it out back, in the shed, away from the garage doors up front and it basically dries and then runs out of battery. I take it off in the AM and put it back in the recharger.  Genius...not so much...but i thought i would share. We all hate getting into wet wetsuits.
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: A better way to dry your wetsuit
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
Yup, there are already threads on it
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=10183.0
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=13944.0

I replaced the ultra-noisy fan by a 120mm PC fan with a speed variator (this one: http://www.materiel.net/ventilateur-pc/silverstone-sst-fm121-20298.html ). Just unscrew the hangair and replace the fan by a PC fan, which is a bit thinner so you will have to use some padding.

At low speed the fan is nearly silent, but the air flow is still quite efficient.

I use it after each session for more than 3 years. Very satisfied, I even bring it in surf trips :-)
Only drawback is that it may damage your wetsuits shoulders with time (neoprene thins out). So now, I let the wetsuit drip a bit before putting in on the hangair, try to use in in a heated room, and remove the wetsuit as soon as it is dry to minimize the time the wetsuit is hung by the shoulders.

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »
OOPS...good info there. thanks
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »
Love it, Wavz!

Stay tuned, I will shortly post one of the most over-thought board racks the Zone has ever seen!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »
my solution for drying my suit is pretty cheap but is is easy and it works..
I use a dryer for boots , i slightly extendd the pipes and set it up in the garage where I store my suits.  My  wife freaks out if I take suits inside the house  ;D
my dryer looks a little like this:

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
I store my gear in a van and I hang the wetsuit into a wet box folded over a strap.
This allows the wetsuit to drip dry into a wet collection box which is then pulled from the strap for the next use.  Nothing high tech and a lot better than just throwing the wet suit into a wet box or worse yet no wet box and saltwater every where.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
I usually just leave it in the wet box and smile as I put it on the next day.... smiling makes it warmer.
If my gear is really cold... it steams when I put it on.

If I am treating myself.... usually when the Van really starts to smell like wet wetsuit... I throw it in the dryer.

I have just gotten used to this way of doing it after years of pulling on frozen wetsuits.... not brilliant... but easy. :P

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »
So I'm an engineer and tend to over think things. I bought this Underwater Kenetics Wetsuit dryer with the wire hanging out of it, that plugs into 120Volt outlet. My wife got sick of seeing it out front every morning after i went to work with my wetsuit drying from it.  If you don't have one check it out, they work really well...but you need to plug them in.

http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/hangair-drying-system#.URUyn6WG6-I

So being the dork that I am, I didn't want to be restricted to hanging my suit where there was a plug and also the thing ran all night even after my suit was well dried, wasting energy and making noise. 

I checked the voltage and it just happens to work with a 14 Volt rechargeable drill motor battery. I had an older one laying around, put some alligator clips on it and now presto wamo....problem solved. I can hang it out back, in the shed, away from the garage doors up front and it basically dries and then runs out of battery. I take it off in the AM and put it back in the recharger.  Genius...not so much...but i thought i would share. We all hate getting into wet wetsuits.

Awesome idea!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard