Author Topic: Minimum bar distance on roof rack  (Read 25539 times)

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Minimum bar distance on roof rack
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »
We're looking at buying a new car - maybe a civic - but was wondering the minium distance the bars on the roof rack should be for a 10 ft. board. Will be driving a lot of interstate, often 3-4 hours to get to the beach - thanks.

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum bar distance on roof rack
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
I don't have a specific distance figure for you, but I do have a Honda Civic (2011 Si Coupe) with Thule roof rack. I needed to use their short roof adapter to spread the bars out (http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Base-Racks/Feet/487-Traverse-Short-Roof-Adaptor), and the rack works great for my 10'3" & wife's 9'9" boards.

I use Sea to Summit SPT Lockable Tie Down straps and the boards are very secure.

Canuck Kook

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »
Another good practice on a short roof line is to run an extra strap through the car on the highway. I run two boards on my roof rack (along with an outrigger) and it worked great for the last couple of years at highway speeds on 9 hour trips. Last fall I caught a cross wind and it pulled the roof rack clean off the roof of the car. It only left a small scratch, destroyed the outrigger and put a hole in one of my boards. Thankfully there was no one behind me or it would have been a bigger tragedy.
One extra strap and an extra minute would have saved a lot of money and aggravation.
12' Starboard Big Easy
10' 5' Starboard Widepoint
14' Starboard Ace Pro
12'6 404 Monster Carbon
12'6 Imagine Rocket
OC Zephyr - Deceased

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:58:48 PM »
When ever I put roof racks on a car, I'm no more than a mile and a half from a good bar.

...oh...about 27 inches should do.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
Ditto Canuck!  I always run a strap right through the car, cheap insurance.  With the NRS straps you can get 20 foot straps, plenty long to take a full wrap around multiple boards and through the car.  I have a Civic coupe too, Yakima Stretch package has been great, carried my 14 race board or two 11 foot SUPS at highway speeds no problem.T

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »

What do you think is the distance between the bars on your civic?

Ditto Canuck!  I always run a strap right through the car, cheap insurance.  With the NRS straps you can get 20 foot straps, plenty long to take a full wrap around multiple boards and through the car.  I have a Civic coupe too, Yakima Stretch package has been great, carried my 14 race board or two 11 foot SUPS at highway speeds no problem.T

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »
I just measured mine at 27.5" center to center.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:17:17 AM »
My Yakima rack with the Stretch package gave me 31 inches between bars.  I have a 2-door Civic, which gives you even less door top area to work with, if you have a 4-door Civic you might not even need the Stretch package.  It has worked great for me for 5 years.  I agree with the above, I hate these new egg shaped curving rooflines, even on the SUVs!  I guess they look cool and are aerodynamic, but sucks for roof carriers.  I like the new Ford SUV with the roof as big and flat as a conference table.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 07:39:20 AM »
You also might consider some way to stabilize the yaw of anything long atop a short base...

I sold an old rec shell of mine to a young lady from Buffalo NY. I made her a bridle. (I would have been more confident if the FIT was wider...)  She did a nearly 500mi run on the interstates with no issues. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »
Here's my little Suzuki with three 14'ers on the roof..

My racks are only 65cm (26") apart.

DJ

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »
It would be a NON-issue if all cars, trucks and vans had old school rain gutters.  It is unbelievable how many vehicles are made that will not a decent rack.   ::)

36+" but I carry all kinds of stuff on the roof and I prefer to secure planning for a crash not just wind and speed.

Running straps through the car will get everyone wet if it rains. 

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 07:11:38 PM »
Subaru Forester. Racks about 36" apart.  I regularly carry my 16' canoe, or a number of boards, and even 24' 2x12's...I'm a carpenter

Sup4fun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »
This is my 2dr Hatchback Honda Civic (95) with the Thule rack adapter.
It is probably about 27" apart.

I was driving to a pretty close place... and each board was "individually" strapped.

On the other picture, same Honda with a 14' race board.

My advice would be... For a long highway trip, try to make the bar distance as far apart as you can make it.

C'ya

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal