Author Topic: 8-2 Wide Point  (Read 7036 times)

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
8-2 Wide Point
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:56:23 AM »
Wanted to share the with you all what the new 2013 8-2 Wide Point's shape looks like..Of course there are no waves in the short term forecast,  ''Jinxed''

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vu_BPq3wWk&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:16:36 AM by Admin »
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8-2 Wide Point
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 07:02:32 AM »
Nice. Anyone who thinks they can't go "short" should try this board out.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
What?
No Center Box!

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SUPCHLU

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
Beautiful board....love the blue with the brushed carbon look.

Surprised to see the 130 ltrs., but because of what goes into getting there......agree with CS, "Anyone who thinks they can't go "short" should try this board out". 

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
That is Bad A##!   Keep thinking one of these days I'll pull the trigger on one of the SB brushed carbons. They just keep looking better and better.
That 8'2" widepoint has plenty of vol. for me, but it may be a bit short on glide to get into the waves here on Fl., especially on the gulf coast.  Thinking that the 2013 8'10" SB brushed carbon looks pretty sweet too...  anyone have feedback on the 8'2" ?   
JL 8.10 Destroyer MP 145L
JL 8x31.5 Super Frank 128L
Black Project Surge paddle
KeNalu paddle

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
I will have feed back as soon as I get some surf, and will post its surf ability.. We have a flat spell at the moment....  However; I have paddled the board in flat water testing the stability and paddling glide . I'm 190 # and its very stable in the flat conditions and also in the the 14 knot wind chop..To my surprise. I paddled into and against the chop with no issues. Has splash over and feet go wet but pretty stable.  Paddling sideways  against the cross chop was ok . At first had to think about it but after 10 min was ok and stabled off ..  My main issue was ,I'm more concerned about floatation of my larger frame and with the rocker how it would paddle ,i.e... glide.  I did notice I had a small amount of water wash over the tail area. I do sink it a bit but I was able to stand 6 inches just forward of center handle and I was fine.  Paddling seemed easy, yawed a little, but that was expected for such a short board.  Since I was sinking the board I encountered  some resistance due to is nose lift  but no more than my 8-10 WP ( more Stability and flotation).. I'm actually surprised at the out come of its floatation and being stable at 130L.
 Waves  and its conditions associated with surf  will be a test. . Looking forward to that moment . Hopefully soon.    I installed the two color (green/black) X-Trak  pad.   
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
Very nice!   Love the pad too..  I will be watching for your surf review, and hope you compare you new 8'2" to your 8'10 as I'm considering that board as well.
JL 8.10 Destroyer MP 145L
JL 8x31.5 Super Frank 128L
Black Project Surge paddle
KeNalu paddle

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:01:04 AM »
If there is one of the starboard surfings SUP's I really would like to try ,it is the smaller version of your board (7'8 wide point) .. So I am really eager to hear hear your report...
I don't know how used you are to smaller boards in waves, but paddling the board in surfstance on flat water will give you a big advantge when going into the waves..
Have fun

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:08 AM »
Mind over matter. Don't think you can't do it. It's 32" wide. 😳

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »
I think that short and wide is the way to go for many of us , who seek to get the most out of the small, mushy, inconsistent beach-break waves  that we see way too much.
My homespot often offers far from perfect conditions and I have found good use of these boards, it is the best way to get much out of nothing in my opinion.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
What changes have been made since the 2012 model? I've got the 2012 version, and just eyeballing the video, it looks nearly identical, with maybe a little thinner rails in the middle.

For what it's worth, I've been having a lot of fun on mine on small days, especially after I swapped out the fins. I can already tell that it will be fun for south shore days in the summer. I'm at 210 lbs and I'm finding that it is super stable. Too stable for me actually in that it has been letting me get lazy and now I'm having trouble on narrower boards. If the 7'8 was out when I bought it, I probably would have gone for it instead.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
A few days ago I added an FCS Fusion center system in the center fin area. I was going to go with a box but decided to ad the FCS plug. I set the box just 1/8 inch behind the back quads. If I went with a thruster set up I would be identical to my 8-10 set up. If i use the nubster as a fifth fin it would sit just behind the fins as a trailer.  I need to get use to surfing the quads but I'm so fond of'' burying the tail and drive the rail type surfing''.   
...... Had the board in a few days of waves.  Very stable, catches the waist high waves easy. I was able to skate down the line and gain speed but when I wanted to draw out a bottom turn in advance of the section to hit the board wanted to continue to stay high in the wave.  I had a hard time driving the board off the bottom. Back side the board was fast as I worked the sections but again had trouble redirecting off the bottom. Just a different type of surfing.   I'm looking forward to trying the board as a try-fin and quad with trailer. Hoping I can drive the board.
  ........ I was ecstatic it had plenty float at me being 190lbs, it was very stable in the semi wind bump with no tipsiness. Paddling was easy but it did yaw some after 3 to 4 strokes per side. .. Punching thru the white water with the nose kick did not hinder forward progression..  Catching waves seemed good  as when the wave picked you up and as you gained speed ,shifting your feet in to the surf stance I was able to lean on the forward leg to allow the board to drop in.. Subtle foot movements allowed me to maneuver this board..    So far, I Like.. I would recommend this board for sure ... I'm 5-10 / 190 #   The board's total weight with fins,              (Quad),  XTrak deck pad and new added center box in this brushed carbon is 15.2 # ..
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 05:24:24 AM »
to wide for me but a sick board none the less.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:49 AM »
nice video of 8'2"Wide Point  being ridden in real world surf

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »

Here is a quick vid of me riding the 8-2 Wide Point . I added a FCS Fusion Plug in the center . It comes as a quad so I added the plug allowing many fin options..Today I rode it as a 5 fin with center with Knubster.  4.5 on front/ DT 3.5 rear and 2.1/4 FCS  Knubster...The board gave me more drive and allowed me to bottom turn and thrust off the bottom. But is also rode high in the wave just as a quad does. Seemed faster as I was able to make it around sections.. In the power section the board performed well.. On the flat part of the wave I did slowdown  and sank some .. Surfer proverb..( Speed is your friend ) .. I'm 190 lbs plus wetsuit so close to 200 today . The board was stable in the lumpy (US east coast)  2-3 foot surf but I'm pushing the limit of the board's floatation as I  was sinking the board some and was hard to glide into the waves from the outside. I needed to sit a bit inside where the wave was steeper and had more punch.
I did miss some waves being out if position where I sit when riding my other SUP's .. Overall: I really like the board and looking forward to experimenting w/ fins ,  larger waves and shedding
the wetsuit.. 
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal