Author Topic: 3x longboard world champion Colin McPhillips ripping on a new Hobie Raw !!  (Read 14900 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
These Hobie Raws RIP !!! This is how to Standup Paddle Surf !!!

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3x longboard world champion Colin McPhillips ripping on a new Hobie Raw !!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 05:49:33 AM »
Great video....just my opinion but Coin McPhillup"s longboard heritage, waveriding skills and experience blend to make him stylistically one of the top Standup Paddle Board surfers around.....I wonder, How long is the board he's riding?...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »
Sea, Thanks for that.  I am a sight learner.  He reminds me of young Tommy Curren - seemingly effortless. I think I only saw one twitch at about 1:40.  Two things continue to catch my eye on most of these good guys; flexible knees and the confidence to lay into the paddle behind you.

I need to watch sessions like this on a laptop to view before I hit the water. ..like 'Game Films'.  (but my water is 36f. at moment) Thanks again.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »
I like his style. He makes surfing look fun.

Supperson

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:29 AM »
Weaksause  :P

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:02:42 AM »
Interesting.  Longboard surfing style, but on a relatively short SUB.

Obviously the guy is talented... but I just am not into the style.

I would rather see him on a longboard (SUP or prone), rather than this hybrid style.

I think the video is a very good example of how a wide (29ish is what it looked like) short board, even under the feet of someone who is obviously talented, is limiting.

Remember, this a video clip.  Video clips are a person's best stuff.  I dunno.

Note that none of the first three moves are completed... if they were, the video would show them.

I realize that compared to him, I surf like a kook... but just saying...

My two pennies.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
I noticed he hardly ever uses the paddle on his left side...and that he goes Mach speed.

His new board is 8'4x27.5" FYI
Taller than most, shorter than others.

endlessfight

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
I noticed he hardly ever uses the paddle on his left side

i was also surprised at the lack of paddle use. doesn't mean it looks bad though. his turns are so on point and stylish

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »
I've always thought he was a very stylish surfer, and I'm a bit predisposed to like a longboard style.  Colin is a very slender and compact bundle of muscle and bone, allowing him to ride such a small board, and to dance on top like it was a mini mal.  Admittedly I'm impressed with most people who surf better than I do, which is most people. 

SL- I'm curious who you admire sup style wise and if you could expand on the style cues that you consider separate and uniquely admirable, perhaps using McPhillips as a reference.

Supperson

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
Giant:
I have been saying it for years

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=13789.msg120674#msg120674

When I switch sides with the paddle my feet switch for regular to switch keeping the paddle on my open side give me more power and balance.

Slatch: check out Mo Fretas for a better example of SUS short board style

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »
Looks smooth as butter to my eyes.  Huge fan of the style.  I think he pulled off at least two of the first three moves.  The first was getting toes on the nose and he pulled it off.  The second was a very stylish looking floater that, again looked like he pulled off (I think that is my favorite move in the video).  The third, the 360, looks like they cut right before he dug the rail and went down.  Still, I am a huge fan of the video and Colin's style.
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
Watched a few of Mo's videos. Gifted.  For me though it's like picking out a the cutest puppy at the pet store.  At that level it, and since i'm not judging the contest, they're all cute.   And since I'm not at that level sup surfing, they're all really good and doing things that are beyond me. 

I see Colin as a 40 something, still ripping, Mo as a teen something ripping, ...hell, lets throw Gerry in there as a 60 something still ripping.  It's great to have all that talent spread over so many decades.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
Slatch,

Thanks for the Q.  I suppose I deserve it after that critique.

The SUP surfers whose style I like best are Dave Boehne, Mo, Kneecap, and I gotta say I like Cardiff's style lately.  They commit to turns and bury the rail.  I try to mimic the surfers whose style I liked growing up (and now).  Simon Anderson, Shaun Tomson, CJ Hobgood.  Kneecap surfs like that on his standup (like me, he is still trying to figure out what to do with the paddle).  Dave Boehne throws a pretty mean committed carve when he wants to.. and uses the paddle nicely (he is also really talented in the longboard style and the hybrid style).

The best single example is the fin push turn that you see McP (and many of the top SUP surfers) doing.  It is a useful turn, throws some spray and slides a the tail.  But the board remains flat, the turn isn't all that difficult, and doesn't require even 70 percent commitment.  Meaning, if he blows the angle on the entry or exit, it is not big deal because his board was flat the whole time and he will ride out of it.  I would prefer to see a buried rail turn.  Tough to do an an SUP... and if you blow the angle on the entry, you are done... if you boff the angle on the exit, you blow the section and are left struggling to pull the board back under your body using your paddle as leverage while your butt sits in the water.

The paddle allows for an amazing gouge with tons of spray, and control... and if you do it right, you pick up mad speed on the reboung because you are right in the pocket... that is what I like to see.

Watch Kneecap, Boehne, or Cardiff make that same turn.  There will be a boat wake...

Like I said, though, McP is mad talented and I love to watch him on a longboard or longboard type SUP.

Probably part of my shortboarders prejudice still lingering. Maybe that is what is cool about an SUP... you can ride it like a shortboard and like a longboard... on the same board.  It's just not my flavor.

My two centavos.

SL

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
Perspective is valuable in determining preferences.  No interrogation intended, I just knew you'd have some science and history to back up what you liked.  Style, even a laid back cruise style is something I always admire.  Perfecting simple movements is where sport becomes art.

*You will note the skillful way I used the puppy analogy and not supermodels.  Much safer for homelife.  Never know when a bad choice of analogies will get you in hot water.  ;D  

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal