Author Topic: My new fishing SUP  (Read 16894 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
My new fishing SUP
« on: January 24, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
Picking it up tomorrow so I will hopefully have more details on stability and all that by the end of the weekend.  It is a Cayo and it is made over in Tampa Bay Florida.

I have been looking at fishing paddleboards for a while and thought I was set on one when other options appeared. I basically put in my panga and carry it with me.  I have been fishing off of a 12'6" TR touring board by Amundson and it has been ok, but wanted something designed just for fishing.  The maneuverability on it is super easy to get in position when you spot fish.It has been easy to just anchor the panga and throw the paddleboard in and go.  The Cayo will be a bit longer and a few inches wider and from the design, it should be a bit quieter.  Picking it up tomorrow and hopefully will get to try it out this weekend.

Here are some of the build photos.

Bottom hull

Together

With Seadek

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: My new fishing SUP
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 06:35:26 PM »
Very nice. Tell us more when you can.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »
You are inspiring me. I wanna build a standup paddle john boat (SUPJB?) like we used to fish out of back home. Square nose, flat back (might need a trolling motor.)

That's a really cool build. Who did it and was it from a mold or over a form?

And finally, the one to ask... weight?

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »
I will get some of my own pictures this weekend.  Weight?  I will have to get that for you also.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
I like the look of that... what are the dimensions?

That might actually get me interested in fishing :D

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »
Looks good!  There is a flats boat manufacturer in Vero Beach called Dragonfly that makes a very similar looking paddle board specifically for fishing.

supconkc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:38:15 AM »
I really like the looks of that! Cant wait to see it in the water and get a report on how it performs. Looks real stable. Im getting ready to purchase an Amundson 12.6 tr 2 also. dont mean to jump the thread but what do you think of your Amundson?
12ft. Bote Board fish, paddle, surf. Bamboo inlay, white rails. Amundson 12 6 TR2 touring/race board.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
Awesome!  A matte finish drab colored one would be a great duck hunting platform.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 02:31:24 AM »
I have not weighed it or measured it yet. It is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 13 and a half feet long and about 32 inches wide. It was supposed to be around  mid 40's in weight. I will get to the exacts in a day or two hopefully.

Supconkc,  compared to the TR from a fishing point of view, the Cayo is definitely way better.  Much more stable and much quieter in all directions of wind direction, not just moving down wind.  I don't know if that was why you are asking or not.

I do a lot of site fishing and stealth is a key factor.  But it also has to be stable so you are not moving a lot or making jerky movements.  This board takes care of both of those.  It was easy to paddle within 20 feet of tailing red fish.  Paddling into the wind, around 10-15, with small tight wind ripples that would chatter off the nose of the TR, this board was quiet as could be.  I was actually amazed at how much noise I made with the paddle just paddling water when I was paddling back to my boat against the wind. I am not talking about hitting the board either.  Now, I am not bashing my TR. It was not made for fishing and i could probably do pretty good for fishing with it, but it is all I have to compare it to.

I am still working out the details of how I want to locate things from an ergonomics point of view. But today I wanted to fish it because it was so nice out.

With the breeze in the afternoon it was good to see how it would be in the little wind ripples along with how it would be to fish it in the wind.  The stability was quite good.  The first spot I went was a place boats could only get in high high water. I had to walk it in.  The water was cloudy with lots of mullet. As soon as I saw some bait scatter I cast over in that area and redfish #1 from my paddleboard was in the books.

Done with that area, I worked another shoreline and only spooked a few while looking the wrong direction. Worked another grassy area and the reds were just laid up in holes and were kinda hard to see with the lower late afternoon sun and the wind ripples.  As I was putting my rods away to paddle back over to the boat. I spotted a red tailing about 20 feet away.  After a few dysfunctional casts. He was #2 for the day. He self released himself as I was getting the camera out.

Here is how I had it rigged today.

Transportation

A few more in the water,

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:47:58 AM »
Very cool.  Here's a shot of a very similar production board.  They are so similar I wonder if they share a common heritage.  13 1/2 feet, 32 inches, a little over 40 pounds. 

I'd love to have a hybrid between a small flats boat and a SUP board.  I've seen a couple that look really odd, but I suppose that's the nature of it.  The board below works really well, but it is purely a paddle board. 

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »
Ok, dimensions are 13'8" and 32" wide. It weighs 42lbs.

Old School,  yes I know all about Dragonfly.  Starting at 1900 was a little rich for my taste.  I also do not like the bow on that thing and question how much noise it would make. As you said it is purely a paddleboard.  I wanted a fishing board. Paddling my TR showed me all the flaws in the fishing paddleboards that are available now for what I want to use it for, which is shallow water sight fishing. The price never made me interested enough bother with them.  Dragonfly makes some nice flats boats. Their Emerger has always been one of my favorites.

carvin carter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »
Wow! She's a beaut. How does it track compared to your Amundson?

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
That is a good question that I have honestly not paid attention to.  I tried it with no fin and I could only get about 2-3 stroke per side while going into the wind and current.  Now I have a 7 inch surf fin in it and it seemed to go pretty straight with ease into the wind.

carvin carter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 08:51:05 AM »
I see the fin box now. That's sweet. I'm intrigued. Is there a drain plug in case it takes on water?

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
ninja, when i say "purely a paddle board", I mean as opposed to a flats boat.  The dragonfly is most certainly a fishing board.  I've used one in the flats near my home.  They are very good, and very quiet.  I don't see a difference in the bow, but obviously I've never seen your board up close.  It does look like a great board.  I don't see many differences from the pictures.

I'm surprised you are using a surf fin.  What I used was a fin that only about 4" high but very long.  Didn't do much for stability (not hat you need it on a 32" board - especially if your are comfortable finless), but tracks great.  Fishing the flats, every inch counts. 

I will agree that dragonfly boards are too expensive.  I'd pick one up used if the opportunity came along, but I have no interest in buying one at list price.  Maybe I'll check out Cayo next time I'm in Tampa. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal