Author Topic: Inflatable SUP for flatwater?  (Read 10701 times)

cyclocross

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Inflatable SUP for flatwater?
« on: January 09, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
Anyone tried the new Naish One inflatable board or know of any other comparable boards? Thinking about making my next board an inflatable so on windy days I can head downwind one way, deflate the board and then hop on the bus home. Mostly it would be used on the wave free Puget Sound. Just starting to research inflatable boards and the reviews seem very mixed. I know none will be as good as a solid board but the convenience factor is pretty nice.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inflatable SUP for flatwater?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
In the 12'6" range, I've only tried the Naish and the Starboard. Both were quite similar in performance, although the Naish had a more appropriately sized fin. The one thing about these boards I've noticed is that they can become a bit skew-iff in the folding up. Possibly it happens in the factory, I'm not sure, but if there is a bit of a warp in the board, that makes surfing a wave, even a downwinder, a bit challenging as the board will want to go in a certain direction. I suspect you could fix any warp by inflating and suspending the board across two chairs and then placing counter weights a strategic points. We did this on a 14' Uli a few years back when it arrived with too much rocker (it was like a banana) due to being rolled up in the factory before it had perfectly cured.

A public transport downwinder is a great idea though.  :)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »
PT - I can't speak for the others but you can "adjust" your rocker on an ULI depending on how you roll it up:  fin(s) in for a flatter rocker, fins out for increased rocker.  You can use the chair method as well but having too much rocker one way or another is not permanent and not a manufacturing defect.  When I got my first ULI in '07 and took it to the Caribbean and pumped it up it had about 8" reverse rocker and the fins were all tweaked.  After about an hour in the sun it was fine and ready to surf.

Cyclocross: If you're going to be inflating your board with a hand pump I suggest you try getting the board to pressure with the manufacturer-supplied pump.

ULI should have a new production race board out in a couple months.  We just had our first good result of the year in NJ last weekend with our prototype: http://distressedmullet.com/steve-dullack-and-terri-plunkett-win-freezin-reason-nj
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
I have a 12'6" x 26" x 4" thick ULI with a Wiki rail.  I just love this board and how nice it paddle.  The Wiki rail really seems to make a difference in downwind situations.  I have not had a chance to paddle the exact same board downwind without the Wiki rail but here is what I saw...Husband has a 12'6" x 30" ULI (no wiki rail) and I have the 12'6" x 26", paddling down river with a current I am a little faster.  Last paddle on the river, we turn a corner with a direct tailwind and 1 -2 foot swells.  It was like someone put a little motor on my board and I just took off, had to pull over to the edge several times to wait. 

The Wiki rail also adds quite a bit of stability to the board.  I would definitely call ULI and see what they have that you could demo/buy. 

Have fun, Jill

SUPfan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:51:14 PM »
Cyclocross,

I've paddled the Naish ONE a couple times on flat water, ocean and surf.  It handled and performed very well in all.  However, the day on the ocean was pretty calm and the surf was small.  It was surprisingly fast, even for an inflatable.   We have one in our shop for demo/rental use and we just sold one to a customer that stated they love the board.  At $1,299.00, it's priced below the high end competition.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
Also consider the Mistral 14' inflatable. It's narrower than the Starboard and Naish with straighter rails. It should be a bit faster than most other inflatable boards. I've borrowed one and am hoping to try it in downwind conditions soon. Make sure you inflate to 20psi to maximize performance. The Mistral, Starboard, and Naish are all fine at 20psi (even though the manual says inflate to 15psi).

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:24 PM »
I've paddled the Starboard 12'6 / 14' / 16' touring, the 12'6" & 14' race and the Naish One.

The Starboard 12'6" and Naish One are almost identical. Pick which color you like better (the Starboard has 3 choices)

Either would be a great flat water touring board choice.

The Starboard Inflatable race boards are great. They are fast - but tippy like any other race board.

Inflatables are a fast growing segment of SUP and the boards are getting better every season.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »
I have the Mistral 14 inflatable and I can say its Fast and for flat water would be stable too.  I had to order mine from Kayak Sports in Canada, which was no problem at all because I live in the states and there is no dealers.  I also have two Uli's but the mistral is lighter.

I like the features on the Mistral and it looks fast :D

The new ULI sounds interesting.  Hard to go wrong with any of them.
Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

cyclocross

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »
Thanks all, I'll have to check out the Starboard and Uli. Would love to get a 14' board - seems to work better for the conditions I usually go out in.

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »

I'm curious how this works out for you, as I'm now thinking about an inflatable since the condo association won't let me store a board in our outdoor storage. Jerks :P Trying to stash a 12'6" board in my 3rd floor apartment doesn't sound like a good time ;)
~*Ginger*~

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

I'm curious how this works out for you, as I'm now thinking about an inflatable since the condo association won't let me store a board in our outdoor storage. Jerks :P Trying to stash a 12'6" board in my 3rd floor apartment doesn't sound like a good time ;)
On the other hand, taking a 12-6 board through the lobby and up and down the stairs a few times might get them to soften their stance.

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »

On the other hand, taking a 12-6 board through the lobby and up and down the stairs a few times might get them to soften their stance.

I'm seriously considering rigging up something to hoist it up onto my balcony just to really get their boxers in a twist...  8)
~*Ginger*~

JerseySUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »
I have my eye on the 2013 Starboard Astro Blend inflatable. It's 11'2 x 32" and comes in a "deluxe" model which is 6" thick. I live in a condo so I also need an inflatable. I do an even mix of ocean cruising, surf and flat water touring, so this board looked like the best option for me. However, if you do more flat water, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Naish One. I tried a buddy's Naish One and really enjoyed it. They make a solid product.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:08:06 PM by JerseySUP »

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:35 PM »
14' Uli single skin $999 
760 213-4133
Aloha,
Tom English

stylo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
Also have the Naish ONE - bought it for a couple of vacations over Christmas and very pleased with it.  Used in the flat and in small surf with heavy winds - worked much better than I expected in the harder conditions and tracked very well in a straight line.  In fact, I liked it so much I want to retail these, a lot of the people I paddle with (OC/dragonboat etc) don't have a whole lot of space for a SUP so haven't got involved but this (& the other flatwater oriented boards) will open this great sport up to them!  I'll provide a more complete review with some pics as soon as I get a few mins.

Adam

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard