Author Topic: Has this ever happened to you?  (Read 8160 times)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
Re: Has this ever happened to you?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
I was out by myself on a post-windstorm day this year where there were a lot of double ups and just plain weird waves. It was glassy, not that big (chest high on the face) but was really hard line up.  I was anxious to get a surf in, and I went for it.  There were very few people out, and none near me. After a few rides, I took off on a wave that hit the shallow part of the reef as it overtook another wave and completely sucked out.  I could see the bottom and tried to get away from the board by jumping our the back side of it.  I didn't make it, and landed with the rail of my board nailing me squarely in the chest.  I had the wind fully knocked out of me and took a hard bounce off the bottom as well.  Gasping and disoriented, I managed to climb onto my board, gather my paddle and assess the level of my injury.  My ribs were sore for days, and I considered myself lucky.  A year prior, I took a similar hit while punching through a breaking wave, and based on the pain level, my doctor was concerned about internal injuries and bleeding, resulting in the chalk milkshake and CT scan.  Fortunately that was just bruised ribs as well. Bottom line, be careful out there, and recognize that the biggest hazard out there is probably your own board.

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »
Had to research & bump this after this morning....

Towards the end of my session, I wiped out and landed on the side of my face/ear. I immediately try to get back on my board, but all of a sudden I'm disoriented & I have no clue what's going on with my body. Scary as shit.  I couldn't hardly stand so I went to my knees for a minute and felt weak. I immediately laid on my stomach and started paddling in. My ear drum hurt just a little at the time. I was fine as soon as I got out of the water and don't think I did any damage to my ear drum.  Just maybe rattled it.

Anyone use those docs pro plugs to help prevent this and do they work? Or any other suggestions? I had my hoodie off too which probably would've prevented this from happening. But if this is something that happens often, I'll throw some ear plugs in. Which of course has me thinking, if I'm going to start wearing ear plugs I might as well have music.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
Busting eardrums is a classic waterski/wakeboard/kiting accident. [next: foiling]. You can imagine the potential for a good smack to the ear.

I’ve done plenty of those waterskiing so always wear protection.  I prefer a wakeboard helmut - which has earflaps, specifically for the purpose to protect eardrums. A hoody will work perfect as well. You can get a neoprene headband made for that too.

Tried earplugs - hate them. Eliminating sound is weird, its an additional indicator/feedback to me for whats going on.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 06:59:26 AM »
Missed this one the 1st time around.

This thread scares the crap out of me. I don't have to worry about my left eardrum....I don't have one. My ear was sewn closed after all the innards were taken out. That make me very careful to take care of the surviving one....except....I hate ear plugs for the same reason yugi mentions. It's frustrating enough being half deaf and it really bugs me when I can't hear at all. Wish there was something that would protect but still allow you to hear.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 07:22:11 AM »
Stoney, I picked up a pair of these last year, they work great.  Although you can hear through these, sometimes I pretend not to ...

http://surfears.com/

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 07:35:28 AM »
Thanks Bean...just ordered some.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 07:37:10 AM »
A full kook hat with earflaps offers a surprising amount of ear protection.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 07:51:15 AM »
I can't have a hat brim....guess I could cut it off.....wouldn't help the kook factor but who cares....maybe I should go all in kook and get one of those caps you modeled... ;D
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
Most surf hats have short brims that can be flipped up. I need a horizon as well, I get vertigo without one. That's why the fog was so fucked a week ago. Good sized surf coming out of nowhere while I was reeling around like a drunk. Perfect.

I trim the brims short on most of my hats. Even just two inches is enough to shade your face or block sun by tilting your head forward. But with your head in the normal, look ahead position you don't see the brim.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 08:04:25 AM »
 Wish there was something that would protect but still allow you to hear.

wakeboard / kiteboard helmets all have earflaps. They sit away from your ear so sound is 100% normal, yet they protect from impact.

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
It definitely sucks not being able to hear.  Think I'll look into some head phones w/ low music. That way my ear drums will be protected when  crashing & I can pull them out when conversing on the water.  Think I'll try to stay a little closer to people as well. I tend to be by myself a lot.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
Creek is so very right about having people around you being relatively worthless. I've helped a lot of folks, in all forms of watersport, including diving, but when I could use a bit of help--bupkis. I long ago gave up on the notion of the buddy system for diving. I'm generally shepherding some newb while they wander around and pay no attention to what I'm doing. Even when I'm diving with a very experienced partner I've always found they pay little attention and wind up relying on me for managing the dive profile. When they wander off I have to go looking for them, I've never had anyone come looking for me.

I've had one person check on me after getting pounded surfing--Dave Kalama yelled over, saying "You okay Bill?" That was it. Boyum and I keep an eye on each other on some sketchy downwind runs, and he caught my board for me once when I got pasted. Fifty years of doing somewhat dangerous stuff in somewhat dangerous water, and that's the sum total.

But that's a good thing. If you go in difficult conditions thinking someone else is going to save you, you're making a huge mistake. I'm glad I've had little help over the years. Made me a better diver, better windsurfer, better surfer, better waterkook (no, I'm not a waterman).

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
^word!
You pretty much described my sea and mountain lifelong experience.

Except I've already been paid back most handsomely for all that generous forward gifting. Just when I needed it the most I happened to be with the best partner. Anything just slightly less than the fastest and smartest and strongest partner who had his eyes on me as the shit went down and I wouldn't be here.

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 02:43:58 PM »
Yugi - you can't leave us hanging, care to share your story?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal