Author Topic: Joined the Glide 14 family!!!!  (Read 6129 times)

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Joined the Glide 14 family!!!!
« on: January 07, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »
Well, this past Friday I picked up my 2013 Glide 14.  This is my first new board as well as my first 14.  Came from a C4 Switchblade.

Got out on Sat. and Sun. in the river.  What a great board.  Fit and finish are excellent.  Perfect for what I need around here without an entire quiver.  Very stable.  Actually seemed lighter to carry than the switchblade.  I managed to increase my fastest speed by 1 mph.  Was averaging 5.9 top speed and got up to 6.9 mph yesterday. I'm going to leave the stock fin on for awhile so I can get used to it before I play around, if I even need to.

I will be able to get into some bigger waters on Saturday so I can put her through the paces.

So far I have only used it in flatwater but we know it's great reputation for open ocean.  I was really pleased this past weekend with how it handled on the  river.  Had great acceleration.  Tons better then the Switchblade.  Also much easier to keep up a constant speed with what seemed like not as much effort.  Seemed like every ounce of my stroke transferred to positive gains. 

As someone more interested in health and fun then straight up competitive racing, I think this is a great all around board.  I will do the local races, but  if top speed was your only concern, you could probably find better.

Got to give props to my local store and Naish.  All the online shops have been blowing out 2012 stock.  I really didn't want to deal with shipping and like to buy local.  I contacted them to see if they could come close and they met the prices.  They contacted their Naish distributor and got one shipped.  After we did the deal Naish called back to say they were out of 2012 glides.   Naish made good on it and went ahead and shipped the 2013 to me for the same price.

On another positive note I had already discussed selling the C4 with my wife when I got this one.  After I got home Friday from picking it up she said, why don't we just hold on to the other one.  Looks like she will try it this summer.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Joined the Glide 14 family!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
Welcome to the Glide fan club! 8)

+1 'cause of Naish stepping up and sending you a 2013!

+2 that your wife is getting the stoke!

+3 just because you can still paddle...  The lakes up here just froze over! No Glide love for me for at least 10 weeks :'(

Cheers,

David S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
BBQ, welcome to the Glide Fan Club!!  The stoke is growing!!  Wow, you got a great deal and better yet a great wife!!  Just wait until you get out with some wind at your back on that beast!!  That's when it really starts to fly.  I was also impressed by how stable it is in cross winds and side slop.  Larry Allison advised me that his Ninja fin is the way to go on that board for my conditions.  I happened to have one on hand and have never even used the stock fin, so I can't tell you the difference.  I just trust Larry.  Some day, I might try out the other fin out of curiosity.  I understand that the stock fin is geared more toward downwinders, where the back of the board needs the fuller depth of the dagger.  That is a smoking top speed!  You must have been cranking it.  The Fans are pleased!!  Master shaper Iggy would be pleased (RIP).  I just rented a house in Wilmington for the weekend of the Carolina Cup.  Not sure if I am going to race yet, but will definitely bring my board.  Bringing the wife and might pick up a board for her while we are there.  She is catching the stoke too.  Maybe we can hook up for a paddle if you plan to go.  Glide on!! 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:04:42 AM »
Thanks guys. A lot of things go through your mind when your dropping that kind of money and I certainly went in several directions. When I stepped back and thought about it, the Glide made perfect sense for me and my conditions and what I want to do.

I have a Gladiator Hybrid on my C4. After talking to Larry and using his fin I know he is the man. Had already done some reading and will probably try a Ninja. I was just so surprised at the improvement over the Switchblade that I really want to get used to it and have a good feeling for what the Ninja will do if I switch.

I am seriously contiplating going to the Carolina Cup. If I do maybe we could do a Zoner hook up or something.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:16:31 AM »
Congrats and welcome to the 14' Glide club..  ;D

Just wondering.. Is there any difference between a 2012 and 2013  Glide because towards the end of 2012 Naish changed the grip from the two layer/compound deck grip to a single layer/compound deck grip.

As far as I know the 2013 are the same.. Does yours have a black nose.. If not I think that's about it.. and remember the ideal standing are (sweet spot) is with your toes touching the wide black line at the front of the deck pad.

You are going to love that board.

DJ

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
Yeah, it took me a little while to find the right balance point.  I think that having the tip of the board up in the air throws you off and it is difficult to find the right attitude.  I was initially too far forward on flat water trying to bring the nose down for more waterline/speed.  I was definitely pushing a bit.  Stepping back just a few inches made a huge difference.  My impression is that with the front and back rocker set up, the board is a bit more sensitive to your standing position (rocks forward or back) than a board with little to no rocker like I had previously.  What can I say...the Glide Rocks!!  Enjoy!!
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
I don't think there is much difference between the 2012 and 2013.  Mine does have the black nose.  I'll have to go look at the deck pad.

thanks to reading from you guys, I was standing with my toes just touching the black stripe. Seemed to work good.  On my older board the handle was in the center of the board.  I stood either in center of that or a heels at the noes end of the handle.  With the handle being offset it was where I wanted to place my left foot.  I jumped up front and it worked great.  I figured the guys who design these things would know better then to put the handle where you would normally stand.

The only dilemma I have is deck tie downs.  The switchblade has a bunch and I stick all kinds of stuff up there.  Stick on tie downs are easy but really expensive. Between $30 - $40 depending on the kind you use for 4 of them.  I could buy leash cups for less then $10 dollars.  I already have the epoxy and trust my ability to do the job.  I made my first board and build anything from furniture to guitars.

Or maybe I should get some kind of waist pack like DavidJohn uses.  What do you think.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
I have been considering adding some EZplugs as well.  I think I am going to go with the peel and stick ones for easy removal, in case I change my mind, or if I sell the board in the future and the buyer does not want them.  I am not crazy about gluing anything on my board.  They are kind of pricey for what they are.  I think a six pack is about $65 on amazon.  I looked on the Naish website and it says the 2013 is a single density pad.  See below. 

EVA Deckpad
Heat embossed to reduce water absorption and diamond grooved to increase traction.
Single density high traction EVA pad
Heat embossing reduces water absorption
Diamond grooved for traction
Multi-color design for cool graphic look

DJ, How can you tell if it is single density?  Would you see two plys in the pad from a side view?  Looks like mine is a one ply.  What would be the advantage?  Lighter weight?   Website says 32.6 lbs for AST, but it feels lighter to me.     
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »
The new single density pad is much better.. Naish along with many other brands that used the duel density pads ended up with the top layer of the diamonds pealing off completely or just lifting on the edge of the diamonds.. Mostly on the edges of the pad where you slide your board onto the roof racks and even in the high wear area where you stand the most.. They were white on the bottom layer and a silver grey color on the top layer.. The new single density pads are all white except for the all yellow and all black areas of the pad.

DJ
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:56:23 AM by DavidJohn »

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »
DJ, thanks....So, is yours dual density?  Have any problems?  Or plans to replace?  Mine has some grey on top of the diamonds, but I just can't see a second layer anywhere.   ??? 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:36:17 AM »
DJ, thanks....So, is yours dual density?  Have any problems?  Or plans to replace?  Mine has some grey on top of the diamonds, but I just can't see a second layer anywhere.   ??? 

No.. Mines the newer single density pad.

DJ

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
Well, lucky me then I guess.  I will try to be careful about the pad. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
Got the board out in a little bigger water.  River starts to open to the sound.  Not much wind.  Most of the bumps came from all the boaters out in 65 degree weather in January.

My impressions compared to the C4:

Again, super stable board.  boat wakes coming at me side ways didn't feel like they did a thing.  On the C4, the board would get more reactive.  I found myself looking for wakes so I could see what it would do.  I can see how on just a ripple the thing wants to fly.

What a great purchase.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Come on BBQ....give us another sort/board impression....keeps getting better right?
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 07:26:12 AM »
Ok, ok,... ;D.     

Been playing around with footwork. Yes, in January in the river.  It inspires confidence  in stability.  Lot of current yesterday and much easier to go up stream.

I don't think it is all the board.  I think for some reason my stroke is really coming together, and to me the board seems to facilitate that.  An inch less in width from the C4, but I really seem to be doing better with keeping the paddle strait up and down.  Feel like I can get over the stroke if that makes sense.

I also appreciate the C4 more after getting the Glide. When I started I was 235 pounds. I would say a little more than ideal for that board. I raced at 220 and came in 6th.  Now at 194 I can really feel how the switchblade is a very versatile board.  I think for someone 180 or less it is a great board for coastal living.  I hear the new ones are 30 inches wide and I hope that doesn't negatively affect it. 

Wife said she is interested  in trying this summer. Was going to let her use the switchblade but I think for a total noob who didn't grow up with a skateboard, wakeboard background it might be off putting on the first go.

Am seriously considering the Naish touring board for her.  Can plop the daughter on front and looks like it would be good for fishing.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard