Author Topic: Good board for Puget Sound?  (Read 7173 times)

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good board for Puget Sound?
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »

I need advice on my first board purchase! I spent most of the summer cruising around the sound in West Seattle on a rented 12' 6" Hovie Nomad that I really liked, and the shop I rented it from still has it for sale. I'm tempted to pick it up, but I'm curious about what might be better. I like the board for its stability but getting it through the chop seemed so much slower than other riders I saw in the area. We don't see a ton of wave action over here, but I'd like to take it to Westport at some point where there's actual surf once my skills improve a bit. I also played around on a 10'6" Bic which was fun but nothing to write home about it.  I'm 5'7" and around 150 when I lay off the beer and Christmas cookies. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
~*Ginger*~

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Good board for Puget Sound?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
I hope you get some replies besides me.  I use my 14' Bark (displacement nose) and old 14' Naish Glide (extreme, elf-shoe front rocker) and the ideal, most versatile board for me would probably be something in between those two extremes--maybe something like the newer Glide, or any of many boards that combine a displacement-type nose with some rocker.    I don't surf at all, but if you're doing more cruising and only thinking about future surf, you'll have to decide whether the surfing part is important enough to make compromises for.  You might consider getting a really good board for cruising around, then a second board later that's ideal for surf, vs. one board that may be compromised for both--esp. if the surfing is just an idea at this point.   Also consider used boards.  I've got great used boards from Urban Surf in Seattle and Gorge Performance in Portland (worth a drive from Puget Sound). 

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:21:50 AM »
I primarily paddle in the puget sound & lake washington - I think PDX is spot on with his recommendation of a board with a good blend of nose rocker but one that doesn't plow to much water. My 12' Glide (old shape with lots of nose rocker) is fantastic in downwind conditions, it just leaps onto plane so easily. But in flat-water, it isn't fast at all - too wide and too much rocker. You can feel it doesn't have the 'Glide' and on distance paddles can be tiresome. So a happy medium between those two would be perfect for our waters - let's face it, it's rarely glassy out there. Mostly you're paddling into the wind, side-wind, boat wakes, or downwind, so displacement boards aren't always the best choice for our waters.

I'm looking to upgrade to the production SIC Bullet 14' - It appears to have the perfect blend of a flat bottom shape w/ just the right nose and tail rocker to work well in downwind conditions. That and I love their boards - the look, the heritage, how they feel on the water. (they also now make a 12' and 11'). Check those out.

Also check out the new Glides - Naish reduced the nose rocker and it's much faster in flat water now, making it a much more versatile board. Call UrbanSurf they may have em' and REI had a 14' last I was out there.

excav8ter sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:33:07 AM »

I need advice on my first board purchase! I spent most of the summer cruising around the sound in West Seattle on a rented 12' 6" Hovie Nomad that I really liked, and the shop I rented it from still has it for sale. I'm tempted to pick it up, but I'm curious about what might be better. I like the board for its stability but getting it through the chop seemed so much slower than other riders I saw in the area. We don't see a ton of wave action over here, but I'd like to take it to Westport at some point where there's actual surf once my skills improve a bit. I also played around on a 10'6" Bic which was fun but nothing to write home about it.  I'm 5'7" and around 150 when I lay off the beer and Christmas cookies. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Will they give you credit, from your summer rentals, towards the purchase of a board? I would look into that, unless they don't have a board that suits you.

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:47:19 AM »
If you like the Hovie, go for it.  I say two to three boards for a do it all quiver. 

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »
The Hovie Nomad is a great all around cruiser board.  Definitely not a race board for your size but you will be able to paddle it in all types of conditions. 

Going straight into wind chop a full displacement hull would do better but any side chop and I think you might have the advantage on the Nomad.  Also going up wind make sure you move forward on the Nomad, and increase your turn over speed. The greatest asset of the Nomad is its stability so use it!  Make sure you are putting down power when the going gets rough. 

If you get the Nomad know that you are getting it as a cruiser board and not a race board, so do not worry if someone on a 12'6" x 25" board is faster.  Just try to be the best you can be and have fun out there. 

Jill

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »
Forgot to add, I really do not think you are going to want to surf the Nomad.  For someone your size it is just too big and does not have much rocker.

Jill

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I think the surf thoughts will stay on the back burner for now, I'm thinking I will concentrate on the best board for my backyard right now, and then this summer if it looks like I can spend more time on the coast to think about adding another toy to the box.  I think I'll pay a visit to Urban Surf and see what they have to say, but if nothing jumps out at me the Nomad may come home with me. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that's a lot of $$ to spend!

Thanks again, you guys are great :)

~*Ginger*~

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
We been using a couple of different boards in the area.  Started with Amundson 12'6" TR's which was good for chop and wind, but we wanted something faster.  We then got Ron House 12'6" race boards that were faster, but not quite as stable in chop.  I just got a Bark 12'6" Competitor that so far seems more stable and still has good speed and tracking.  Haven't tried it in significant chop yet.  There's one on Craigslist now for $1100, which I wish I saw earlier...

Rich

Rich

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »
Ooops.  $1400 on Craigslist...
Rich

cyclocross

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 10:49:57 AM »
I tried out several boards including traditional and displacement bows. My favorite was a 12'6" Rogue touring board that was a great compromise between stability and speed/efficiency. I like it a little better in side chop that the Bark though that was a very close second. I definitely preferred the displacement hulls since I most paddle around the Golden Gardens/Shilshole Marina area which is usually pretty mellow. Ultimately I wound up not buying a board at all. Instead I ordered plans for a Kaholo 14' board from Chesapeake Light Craft. It took all winter to build but was worth it.  In addition to plans they also sell kits which are pretty easy to build even if you don't have woodworking skills.  It's very efficient in flat water and heading into chop though definitely more tippy in side chop. At this point the board is still better than the person on it though I did finish Round The Rock this year which many people on Bark and 404 boards did not. ;)

My next board will be a Naish One inflatable so I can do downwind/downriver runs and then take the bus back to the start point. That and I really don't have room for another 14' board.

For Westport I'd just rent a board unless you're heading over there on a regular basis. 

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »

Thanks! Kicking myself because I waited too long and they sold the Nomad a few days ago. BAH! So now the plan is to go pay a visit to a few other shops this weekend to check out some of the other brands you all have suggested. Really hoping I can find something decent that's used...new just isn't in my price range right now!
~*Ginger*~

cyclocross

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 01:11:59 PM »
Check Surf Ballard, I think they might be selling some of their rental boards.

Also Rob Casey is selling his rental boards: http://stokemagazine.blogspot.com/2012/11/used-naish-sups-for-sale-in-seattle.html

Not sure what he has left.

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
I'm in Ballard.  For Puget Sound paddling i use a variety of boards so it depends on what type of paddlng you want to do. Are you hoping to paddle to Blake Island or just cruise around Alki?  A few things to think about..

If you want speed, you need something 12-6 or longer with a displacement nose.  Downside is speedier boards often have less rocker and can be narrower, thus possibly tippy and not as good in surf.  You can surf race and touring boards but turning can be difficult - you'll be getting mostly straight rides vs ripping up the wave face. 

I'd look at the Bark Exped 14 which i've surfed and used on the Sound.  For your ht, it's stable, light to carry, and fun to paddle.  Someone mentioned a Sic 14, also great board but you'd have to order it from Maui.  Rivieria's Voyager is pretty fun as well as the BarkLaird 14 which is stable, fast, and is fun for downwinders, small coastal surf, etc. I'd check out your local shop M2Sound or Urban Surf on Lk Union for these. 

fyi, there are waves on the sound - Duwamish Head breaks at a +1 tide from ferry waves. It breaks on both sides depending on the ferry direction.  Usually no more than waist high but some long rides. 

give me a holler if you need more info. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »
I'm in Ballard.  For Puget Sound paddling i use a variety of boards so it depends on what type of paddlng you want to do. Are you hoping to paddle to Blake Island or just cruise around Alki?  A few things to think about..

If you want speed, you need something 12-6 or longer with a displacement nose.  Downside is speedier boards often have less rocker and can be narrower, thus possibly tippy and not as good in surf.  You can surf race and touring boards but turning can be difficult - you'll be getting mostly straight rides vs ripping up the wave face. 

I'd look at the Bark Exped 14 which i've surfed and used on the Sound.  For your ht, it's stable, light to carry, and fun to paddle.  Someone mentioned a Sic 14, also great board but you'd have to order it from Maui.  Rivieria's Voyager is pretty fun as well as the BarkLaird 14 which is stable, fast, and is fun for downwinders, small coastal surf, etc. I'd check out your local shop M2Sound or Urban Surf on Lk Union for these. 

fyi, there are waves on the sound - Duwamish Head breaks at a +1 tide from ferry waves. It breaks on both sides depending on the ferry direction.  Usually no more than waist high but some long rides. 

give me a holler if you need more info. 

Thanks Rob! I'm not planning any long distance paddles just yet, I'm still a little gun-shy after an incident a few years ago where a friend and I got a little too far out around Ballard actually! Right now it would mostly be cruising around Alki and Lincoln Park since they're close to my house but I'd love to venture out more.  I'm intrigued by the waves at the Duwamish Head though, that would be a lot of fun. I've seen your posts about classes on FB, one of these days I'll be able to take one!
~*Ginger*~

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]