Author Topic: I need advice on how to mend my mistake  (Read 3430 times)

WinslowPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I need advice on how to mend my mistake
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
My Naish fell off the top of the car on new years day and it's in pretty bad shape.  I'd like to turn this into an opportunity to learn about how to fix this kinda thing (if it's possible) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice on how to mend my mistake
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »
Doesn't look too difficult, the foam is mostly intact, though its in a tough spot. You'd probably be better off getting someone who has done board repair to do it for you, but if you're a careful, methodical type you can certainly do it.

First step is the get the damage cleaned up--gently. Keep as much of the original contour as you can. Use a sander or angle grinder (and a lot of care) to feather out the glass around the damage.

If you need to repair some foam damage there's several choices. You can glue in some EPS and shape it, you can use a little two-part foam (very little) and shape it, or you can use microballoons mixed with a little epoxy. Be very careful with microballoons. Use slow hardener and don't use much epoxy, don't slather it on deeply. It can get hot and melt foam, and it's going to be a lot harder than the foam so it's hard to shape well. I use it mostly for strong filler where I don't want things to move around.

You can use a little bondo to get the shape perfect, but again, not a lot. if you need more than a thin coat--like frosting on a hostess cupcake--then repair the foam, don't fill.

Once the shape is perfect (and I mean PERFECT--glass is not filler) then you glass it. I'd use S-glass and probably three layers of 4 OZ. Let it get very hard before you sand--overnight might not be enough. Then you fair in the glass (generally by hand-sanding with a long block) to the areas you feathered, make it all pretty. Use a little bondo to fix the inevitable low areas, get the shape perfect, and then I'd probably put a strip of carbon on the nose just because. If you use Bondo you can probably skip the hotcoat and just paint it. Otherwise mix up some epoxy with fast hardner and paint it onto the repair to fill the pinholes.

The boardlady's website is a great place to pick up on the basic techniques. I like this site too: http://www.surfersteve.com/glassing.htm

Don't do something silly like whacking on a bunch of solarez, or using some kind of filler stuff. You need a durable repair that won't start leaking after it's worked awhile. If that EPS gets wet the board will never be the same.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:03:12 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »
And, as I found out a couple months ago, you can use Rustoleum Universal in "Canary Yellow" for a pretty durable and closely matching finish. 

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »
Since the board is big $$, I'd recommend leaving this one to a pro like PonoBill mentioned, smaller dings are easy after your first four or five fixes.. but this has multiple layers of repairs needed, including paint.

Look on the bright side, no need to worry about the little dings and scratches now !!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
If you use Bondo, make sure its after glassing. Bondo is usually polyester based and not compatible with the EPS core foam.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »
i posted what DW said, but i guess it didn't go through.  Bondo only over cured glass for fairing just before paint.  Poly eats eps foam.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »
That looks like the nose of a new 2012 Naish Glide.  Just got one myself and it hurts to see that.  You are brave to want to try to tackle this challenge, but a pro repair would really take the stress out of it and be money well spent, in my opinion. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

WinslowPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
This is great advice, I really appreciate it! I will follow the steps PonoBill provided for my surf SUP which actually has similar damage, but for the Naish I think I will have it done professionally here in Seattle. The Naish 14 glide is a great board and I've been more than happy with it so I'd hate to botch it.  From now on I'll be more careful, Thanks again!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:03:52 AM »
i posted what DW said, but i guess it didn't go through.  Bondo only over cured glass for fairing just before paint.  Poly eats eps foam.

This may be a good time to mention that the solvent in enamel paints will also eat EPS if applied directly.  But, along with poly based fairing compounds, these products are really necessary to get a nice finish on a "painted" epoxy board repair.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal