Author Topic: Where to live  (Read 11444 times)

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Where to live
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
Looking for any suggestions on a good place for an older sup surfer and his wife to relocate.  Always strive to be courteous in the waves.  I may be able to retire this spring and the red tide on the Florida west coast is a real bummer (keep getting sick from it).   Florida east coast is a consideration. Would love to move somewhere in Hawaii, but don’t know if the wife will go for it do to our kids being scattered around the lower 48. (I’m still working on that one). The dream would be to have enough land to grow a nice garden with extra elbow room for whatever.   Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
JL 8.10 Destroyer MP 145L
JL 8x31.5 Super Frank 128L
Black Project Surge paddle
KeNalu paddle

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where to live
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 10:20:52 AM »
SoCal, Central Cali, Hawaii, or out of the US if you like to surf...

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »
Northern Oregon or the Olympic Peninsula in WA, if you don't mind wearing a suit, crowds are usually non-existent.
Don't forget to bring a towel!

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
How much do you wanna spend?  thats the ultimate question I guess.... :D 
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »
Nor cal just north of San Francisco... Northwest of Petaluma. GOOD surf.  Super cool town. Beautiful flat water in Bodega Bay.

Decent prices... I have one eye open for interesting real estate at all times.  Newly refurbished older farmhouse on 29 acres just went for 1.4.  Can get under an acre with groovy old house for under 500.

If being right next to ocean is not a concern, a well kept secret is Vista, CA.  Just inland of Oceanside/Carlsbad. Good value. Close to everything.

Good luck,

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:51 AM »
Jax beaches, not too far from you, are laid back and relatively cheap. Big city nearby but definite beach vibe in Atlantic, Neptune and Jax beaches. Good SUP community and SUP-friendly waves , especially if you have flexible (retired) schedule. Some really good surf spots nearby that turn on occasionally.

Lots of flat water paddling too.

I also like Brevard (Satellite Beach). Nice waves and town, though a bit more transient feeling and touristy. Wilmington and Cape Cod are great too, though frosty this time if year. If I could afford it I'd move back to my hometown of Santa Barbara but that's a lot if cash required. Have fun on the search.

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »
California sure covers a lot of coastline.  Born there but moved to Fl west coast in 64.   By the way, I really like all of these suggestions.
 I do love south Ca, warm sunny with good surf.  It would be nice to find all this in the US without the crowds and the high property values.
In researching central Ca, I was looking at the San Luis Obispo area.  Possibilities? 
Nor Ca area above San Fran.  Several years ago I was on a trip with the kids. We were camping our way south down the coast from Seattle.  A couple of weeks into the trip and had set up camp in Santa Cruz.  Met a guy that lived near and surfed Bodega Bay as his home break. Anyway, what stuck for me was that he told me that he felt sorry for a surfer that lived on Florida’s gulf coast.  He had a name (which I’ve forgotten) for the large female Great White that would show itself while they were surfing.
Also looking to northern Oregon & the Olympic Peninsula, with the low crowds factor.  So used to warm Fl weather, it would be quite a change.   The rain shadow around the Sequim area looks interesting.
Wife keep pushing to stay in Florida.   Do like the St Augustine Beach area. Have surfed the pier and there was a good vibe there, so Jax beach area should get a look.  If I go south down to Brevard county, I’ve always liked Melbourne Beach. New Smyrna is cool too.
Cost of living in Fl is much less than Ca, or Hawaii.  Was just looking at a 875 sq ft. shed for rent steps from Hanalei Bay. Sounds like paradise to me. Wife is a work in progress on that one. Do have her interested in WWOOF, which has organic farms all over.
Keep em coming thx
JL 8.10 Destroyer MP 145L
JL 8x31.5 Super Frank 128L
Black Project Surge paddle
KeNalu paddle

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:27:51 PM »
I know it doesn't compare to CA or HI for surf, but if you end up staying in Flordia, we love Vero Beach. 15 minutes to Sebastian Inlet to the North and Ft Pierce Inlet to the south, both great spots. Brevard county breaks are close as well. You can get a cheap piece of land west of town, and grow whatever veggies you want year round.  The firefighter crowd here is a great group of guys as well.  I know some folks like the Jax beach areas, but your definitely not in the tropics up there. Winters are a good 10 degrees cooler.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »
Destin Fl is a really nice area.  Stunningly beautiful water.  Lots of paddling and surfing to be had although the surf isn't super consistent.  Home prices are very reasonable and taxes are cheap.  It does get a little chilly in the winter though.  They got hurt badly on the real estate boom, so you can pick up homes for 25% of what they were selling for 5 years ago....My buddy just picked up a home for $225K that was originally sold at $600K in 2007.... steps from the water...
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
Maui.

As many people have found, it's cheaper to live in Maui and visit your relations than to live close to your relations and visit Maui. And you'll have no problem getting the kids to visit. You don't need much of a place to live here. Think small. I have a big, beautiful house and we live in one fourth of it. I treat it like a flophouse--I'm only there to sleep.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Jax beaches, not too far from you, are laid back and relatively cheap. Big city nearby but definite beach vibe in Atlantic, Neptune and Jax beaches. Good SUP community and SUP-friendly waves , especially if you have flexible (retired) schedule. Some really good surf spots nearby that turn on occasionally.

Lots of flat water paddling too.

I second that. Lived in a lot of places and enjoy the weather, conditions and vibe here the most. Can't wait to retire myself!
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

SUP Viking

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
Northern Oregon or the Olympic Peninsula in WA, if you don't mind wearing a suit, crowds are usually non-existent.

I second that. Hey if you like the East Coast shoot up to Midcoast Maine. Same situation as above. If you dont mind wearing a suit. Waves are epic and crowds generally arent an issue. Plus its beautiful!
"Fear of the uknown is the greatest fear of all, but we just went for it"

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »
I can second the Melbourne Beach area.  My parents retired there about 15 years ago and really like it.  They are just across the street from the beach and down the road from Sebastion Inlet.  Nice surf year round (for Florida) and nice temps.  Since you mentioned it, you should really check it out.

The only downside would be the nearest major airport is in Orlando, so the drive is close to 1.5 hours if you or guests are flying in or out alot.

Good Luck!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »
The secret to getting your wife interested in Hawaii is to come for a month or so. Do it on the cheap, find some vacation rental condo and pick up a rent-a-wreck. Kuai is gorgeous, Maui is too and very sport oriented.

Laird moved to Kuai for a reason--great surf
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »
The secret to getting your wife interested in Hawaii is to come for a month or so. Do it on the cheap, find some vacation rental condo and pick up a rent-a-wreck. Kuai is gorgeous, Maui is too and very sport oriented.

Laird moved to Kuai for a reason--great surf

Too much wine PB.. Kauai...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM