Author Topic: More fin questions...considering trying quads again or maybe twin w/ a trailer  (Read 20192 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm on a quest to find the best fin set up for a new board. I've been demo'ing fins and have surfed the following set ups so far with impressions. Board is 8'10 x 29 x 4.25 and approx. 120 liters. It's basically a blown up short board. I'm 6'2, 190lbs.

Stock set up with 6.5" Futures Performance center fin and small side bites: Very loose set up, board was very maneuverable and could whip the board around really easily. Fun in small surf, but even in the small stuff I was able to slide the board out pretty easily. Fun in the small stuff but would not be fun in bigger surf! Also lacked drive with this set up.

Futures Controller Quad Set: These fins just plain sucked for me. Very stiff feeling, long, drawn out, wide turns. Not my cup of tea.

FCS 5" center fin (that fits into a standard center fin box) & side fins from an AM2 thruster set. This set up was decent, maybe the best so far. Loose, but not so loose that it would slide out on me like the first 2+1 stock set-up. Average drive, but if you look at the shape of the side fins, they do have a smaller base, so they probably aren't the driviest fins, but they do make for some snappy turns when you lay hard on a rail.

I am considering re-visiting quads, as I am looking for a lot of speed and drive, but still want to make a somewhat tight turn. I have really never ridden quads, and in all fairness the Controller set I demo'd are the only quads I've really ever tried. When I look at the thruster set up with the AM2 side fins and FCS center fin, you can see the AM2 fins have a small base, which may be why the board feels less drive-y. Kind of thinking if I go quad or twin I should look for a fin with more base to get more drive, and less rake to keep it maneuverable?

So what do you guys think? Try some more quad sets? Something that has a more traditional shape as opposed to the Controller set that had huge, wide front fins and vertical trailers. I am thinking I will just go to a surf shop with a Futures Fin Tree and demo the Stretch quad set, the Tim Stamps quad set and the T1 twin set with a trailer fin. Also tossing around the idea of trying a twin set up with some drive-y, side fins and a 3-3.5" center trailer. I am more of a front footed surfer, and am looking for something that will give me the most drive and speed, yet offer enough hold for bigger stuff as well. Any ideas, thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:22:09 PM by ODJ »

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
You should have tried the Controller rear fins and your yellow fins up front. The front fins in that Controller set are well known for being stiff, while the rears are very loose and pivoty.

The PSH quads are good. They use that Controller rear with a Poncho front, rebadged PSH.

The Stretch quads might be the most popular fins they sell. Seems like most shop recommend those first.

Those two options are your best bet in my opinion.

I'm a big quad fan. 

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
What DW said.

If you have the 3/4" boxes in the rear (sounds like you probably don't if you were using Controller quads) I would say throw the side fins in the rear from your 2+1 set up with the AM2.

Futures suck balls for quads with respect to rear fins.  Their whole system is wrong for quads.  Most are 50/50 foils which most would say work better with rear boxes located close to the stringer, which you don't have.  Plus, if you try to use front fins from a thruster they are going to have more cant than you want because the cant is in the fin not the box.  Not a lot of options with the rears.  You can go to a test drive center try to get the EA quad.  Those are the only rears with a flat inside foil.  Not sure what foils are on the rears of the socalled SUP quad fins.  Otherwise get the Controllers again if you were borrowing them and try with the AM2s.

On my quad I've used the Rainbow Fins Speed Wings http://rainbowfins.bizeconnect.com/store/large/2y682/SPEEDWINGS/SW46_FUTURE.html with the Controller rears with good results.  Great hold and acceleration through turns.  Tried the Elevons recently and felt too much drag.  Didn't have that problem with the speedwings.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
I liked the Gerry Lopez Quad set

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I was/am using the FCS MR TX (the Mark Richards twins) with really small trailers on my 9' board before my surgery. I love this fin as it provides plenty of drive, but has great release as well.

Not sure what a comparable fin would be with a Futures base, but if you can find something similar, they are a great fin for a board of similar size to yours.
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
What about these: http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=218&largeimg=quad_yu_full.jpg

It's really impossible to know, unless someone comments who owns a Kings. The tricky part about quads, is where the shaper put the rear fins. There is no standard location, unless he follows McKee standards. It appears he doesn't. A slight change in the rear fin location , can mean the difference between choosing a big rear fin, or small rear fin.

Since it's Futures, you're in luck as far as demos go. Futures has demo centers within many shops. Don't be shy about trying your own fin combinations to find the feel you like. So grab lots of demo fins and have fun.

I don't use rear fins in my quads. I use smaller front fins in the rear position. The so called rear fins that come in matched sets, pretty much stink with both Futures and FCS. It can get expensive building a great quad set  ;D. If you think I'm crazy, look at Slater. He doesn't use the rears that come with his stock quad set either. He uses front fins in the rear.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
What about these: http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=218&largeimg=quad_yu_full.jpg

Those are small fins, you might not get much drive out of them.  Using one of those fin trees at a shop will be the cheapest way to figure out what works for you.  Talk to Dave Daum more as well to get his input.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have been surfing quads for a number of years.  After seeing Zane S ride his quad with just the rear fins in so I guess that makes it a twin fin I have also set mine up that way.  It rocks.  A lot looser but keeping the rear foot over the fins I get the drive.  To try it, remove your thruster and then place your forward fins in the after boxes.  It really makes the board loose when paddling and standing but after a while it becomes familiar.  I thought I would add the forwards with bigger swells but I like it as is.  You might try this configuration before you buy more fins.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have been surfing quads for a number of years.  After seeing Zane S ride his quad with just the rear fins in so I guess that makes it a twin fin I have also set mine up that way.  It rocks.  A lot looser but keeping the rear foot over the fins I get the drive.  To try it, remove your thruster and then place your forward fins in the after boxes.  It really makes the board loose when paddling and standing but after a while it becomes familiar.  I thought I would add the forwards with bigger swells but I like it as is.  You might try this configuration before you buy more fins.

My forward fins won't fit in the rear boxes. With futures the rear boxes for quads are unfortunately a different size.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Picked up a demo set of the PSH quads. Will try then out over the weekend. Funny thing, my roommate told me that I look slower on the new board compared to my old board. Ha!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
You can grind 1/4" off the bottom of front fins to fit the rear. Kinda stinks they didn't do 3/4" deep rear boxes. Gives more options. Many SUPs do have the deep boxes in the rear.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I have been working on the same thing for my 8'3" Nectar. Thinking I am going to order the JM quad. Anyone have experience with that set up?  I currently have the PSH/Pancho fins in the front, and the small Elevon set in the rear. I like the set up, but it could be looser. Mabe I just need smaller front fins?!?  I'll probably try the Jamie Mitchells....or the Lairds...or the Nectars...too many choices!

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

Just so I'm clear, you take out your rear quad fins and reposition your larger front fins to the rear boxes? You don't find this to be unstable in the bottom turn (ie. breaking the fins loose)? Is this set up better than small forward fins with a smaller trailer for looseness and drive for you? Lately I've been using the small thruster fins  with a small trailer and it works great in head high and smaller, but faster waves and riding speeds see me losing the tail in the bottom turn sometimes unless I nurse it.  I'm about to try the twin/rear box set up with my PC7 forward quad fins set up in the rear boxes on my 8.6.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard