Author Topic: Inflatable better for Dog SUP?  (Read 20777 times)

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Inflatable better for Dog SUP?
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
I have a 70 lb German Shepherd and want to take her out on the board more, any downsides to an inflatable for this? My logic being that her nails tear up my epoxy boards, including the full length deck pad on my old NSP, even though I keep her nails trimmed properly. Wrong or right, I value aesthetics and don't want to trash my gear prematurely.  I also really want an inflatable.

I'm leaning towards a Fanatic 10'6 x34 for this and as a fun board for my kids. Downsides? Thoughts? I'm about 165/170ish.

Another question about the dogs......do any of you leash your dog to the board for any reason? I'm struggling with any potential risk versus any safety benefit.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
Re: Inflatable better for Dog SUP?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
 Dog claws do leave nice scratches and gouges in deckpads for sure, but I think I'd take that over the chance of getting a puncture. The new inflatables are certainly tough, and well made, but a 70 lb dog climbing/clawing back on board might be inviting a swim home for the two of you!

I think the leash is a bad idea personally. When ever my dog (same weight) falls in (or gets pushed ;D), she always swims away from the board before returning back to climb up. I see it as just something else to get tangled up in, or worse, make the dog panic if they are trying to swim away and can't because the leash comes tight.

Funny that you posted this, as it's lunchtime here and flat calm, and I'm getting ready to take my dog out for a paddle!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »
Some dogs have been using the vinyl bath mats with suction cups on the bottom.  But mostly for putting on in front of the board where there's no deck pad.  If one of those would stick to your deck pad where your dog will be, that could protect your pad.

I see no benefit to leashing your dog, and lots of opportunities for both of you to get tangled up in it. 

weldernot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »
I have two 95 lb dogs.  I take both dogs together on my Stride Airlite HD inflatable SUP.  One of my dogs likes to walk around on the board and has fallen off the Airlite HD numerous times.  Neither the dog walking on the board nor the dog scrambling back onto the board has resulted in the deck pad or any other part of the Airlite HD showing any wear from dog nails.

I have also had my walk-on-the-SUP dog on a C4 ATB inflatable SUP with a couple of dog scrambles back on.  No evidence of dog induced wear on that iSUP either.  I have taken her on my Badfish MCIT 9' with no evidence of dog nail damage, but she didn't fall off that iSUP; so no scrambling occurred.

My dogs wear dog lifejackets (NRS cfd) with nice handles mid-back; so I am able to provide a fair bit of lifting help to get them back on.  That might decrease the risk of nail scramble scratching.

Leashes do provide tangle hazards.  I recommend against attaching your dog to your SUP. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »
There has not been a dog born that could puncture an inflatable SUP by walking on it.

If you've ever touched one you know that it'd be hard to get a knife into one. These aren't beach toys.

My pup did great on mine and yeah, no scratches and way easier on everyone. no leash, just a pfd with a handle.

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »
Thanks for the info everybody. I realize you are all right about the leash thing. I guess I got a bit over protective, this dog means the world to me. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

I figured that the inflatable route was the way to go, I couldn't imagine that a iSUP tough enough to handle river rocks and such would fail from dog nails but it is nice to have that confirmed.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »
Hey Jake.  My 45 lb doggie Magic has been a passenger on my ULis for the last five years without incident.  I used to put scrap pieces of deck pad on the nose when he feels the need to go up there but when Monster Paint became available that's been our solution of choice for dog traction.  ULI also sells a full-piece pad for the nose, aka the "Dog Patch."  I use a leash on my dog when he's on the board with me most of the time unless I'm going to let him off for a swim.  He's stays on the nose but he's been known to jump in after nearby birds & dolphins.  I usually use one of the ULI cinch straps so the quick release is on the loop around his neck.  If we're in flat water I'll tie it to the front deck loop, and if we're in the surf I'll just run it through the loop and stand on the end so it's easy to release if one of use should come off.  The reason is he loves to noseride and it's extremely hard to turn the board after takeoff if he's hanging 20.  Have fun!  Chris
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
Thanks man! My dog is still a bit nervous on the board, mainly due to lack of time on the water. I can barely imagine me on those waves, not to mention the dog with me....I'd probably kill us both. :)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »
When you're starting out with your pup in the flat water and they're nervous bring along  a tennis ball, stick, or rubber toy - it's a good distraction.  Magic will have one in his mouth a whole session sometimes.  Also a couple snacks in a zip lock helps out too when you take a break.  Good luck and post up some dog SUP pics.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

weldernot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
I do use a leash attached to the lifejacket on each dog.  I don't attach any dog leashes to the SUP.  I either leave the free end of the leash on the SUP where I can grab it, or, more commonly, I use leashes with a quick release buckle that I wear attached to me (around my waist).

I find the leash helpful to make sure my dog who walks and falls off swims back to the SUP rather than to shore for random running.  I also find the leashes helpful starting and ending our SUPing because the launch area often has other people and dogs with whom my dogs would like to play.

A leash in your dog's legs is not good for your dog's swimming.  You need to be aware of the tangle risks (legs, body, neck) and have a plan if you use a leash on your dog. 

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 05:09:14 PM »
 Still have Surfer-Girl dog "Bonnie Bell", CK... She's bummed as the water has gotten too cold for her (she hates these winters too).   :)     Paddle on;   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
A leash in your dog's legs is not good for your dog's swimming.  You need to be aware of the tangle risks (legs, body, neck) and have a plan if you use a leash on your dog.

Maybe a floating leash to keep the leash away from the songs limbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »
Plastic SUP was great for dog, kids, fishing . . . even all at the same time.  

If you are considering inflatable then plastic will not be a step down.  Super stable.

He was a puppy, but still 45 lbs shown here.  The fish in the 3rd shot was another 25lbs.

PS: Yes I leashed him so that when he mutinied I could quickly haul him back in.  Life jacket for him because managing a dog, a SUP, wind, current and a big fish could be a handful, especially if he jumped during a fight.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:16:36 PM by Beasho »

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 06:36:51 AM »
Nice pics Chris.  Always a treat to surf with you and Jake.  The inflatables are awesome for pets.  We have Uli's available at Aloha SUP 694 N. Coast Hwy 101 Leucadia, CA 760 213-4133 www.AlohaStandUpPaddle.com
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:40:20 AM by Tom English »
Aloha,
Tom English

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
 Pretty pic with that back-drop and all, Tom...            Paddle on;       JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for: