Author Topic: Best Construction for SUP Durability  (Read 15405 times)

JL Rider

• Waikiki Status
  • Ride for life!
    • View Profile
Best Construction for SUP Durability
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the site and was hoping this might be a good source of information for me. I'm currently learning about all different types of boards and finding out that almost all look great but no all are well constructed.

Can someone help give me a sense of the 1 or 2 best styles of construction for quality and value in a board? What's best? Sandwich construction, Bamboo technology, plastic, other?

Thanks!
Ride for life!

adamrod

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best Construction for SUP Durability
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
General consensus is that the Carbon Sandwich boards (like the starboard carbon) are the strongest money can buy.

Many companies have something like the TAC/AST construction, which is essentially a sandwich just like how windsurf boards are made. Generally these sandwich boards have a wood veneer (like bamboo). These are very durable too.

plastic construction is probably very very strong, but the performance is severely lacking on these boards as they are obscenely heavy. on the other hand, these boards are often pretty cheap.

Then there's traditional surfboard construction in epoxy or polyester (you know, the white boards with a wood stringer down the middle), these are less durable than the 3 methods listed above, but might have better performance depending on the shape.

Most people use sandwich construction boards as they are pretty durable and can take a lot of abuse, and have good performance too.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
And Inflatable. 

Inflatable boards are making huge leaps forward. 

Ultra durable / light / and now much stiffer.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
I'm under the impression that boards made for river running/white water SUP are going to be the most durable because you end up smashing your board into rocks on a regular basis.  Inflatables  and plastic boards have been the go-to for this environment.

Surftech introduced a new board called the B-1 that is designed as an all around board (10'6"x31") made from this new material called "Bounce Technology."  I've seen two videos on youtube where a board is run over by a car and then paddled as a demonstration of durability.  One of those boards was an Uli and the other was a Surftech B-1.  The boards were pretty much unscathed.

In terms of sandwich construction, I've heard that boards produced at the Cobra factory in Thailand are among the most durable.  I know Surftech produces most of their boards there (I think the B-1 is made in the USA) and several other companies do too, but I'm not certain which ones.  I know Naish used to and then they moved production to China for some boards...  You'd have to ask around for more details about the Cobra factory and which boards/brands are produced there.

I'm in the process of looking for a second board and durability is an important factor in which boards I am considering.  I'm leaning towards an Uli, but the B-1 is really intriguing.  I live a few blocks from the Delaware River and regularly paddle in the ocean, both surf and flatwater, so I kind of need a do it all, tough as nails board.

EPIC-BOARDSPORTS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • EPIC BOARDSPORTS
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:20 AM »
You should try Jimmy Lewis' boards (and I'm not just saying this because we carry them at our shop). He uses a true sandwich construction of "ultra high density PVC foam" wrapped around light weight EPS foam. He claims this is much more durable than "veneer sandwich" boards. Yes, Cobra factory made boards are very durable, and well made, but Jimmy's seem to take it a step above.  His are the only overseas boards I have seen that do not give that initial settling or indenting under your feet.

Better yet, find a local shaper who vacuum bags his boards. I use one made by local AJ Finan of Cannibal. He "CoreVac"s his boards. Not sure on all the details, but from what I can gather, the process "super-saturates" the cloth, in turn using way less resin, giving strength without excessive resin weight. By far the lightest, strongest board I've ever owned. I have owned at least 15 boards.

Hope this helps,
EPIC BOARDSPORTS
COCOA BEACH, FL
EPIC-BOARDSPORTS.COM
FACEBOOK.COM/EPICBOARDSPORTS
321-406-1964

JL Rider

• Waikiki Status
  • Ride for life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »
Thanks for that feedback. Interestingly enough I just got an 11' cruise control from Jimmy Lewis for exactly the reasons you mentioned below. It looks amazing, the finishing is really nice! I'm frothing to get out on it but I'm limited here in Calgary due to the winter so now I just sit and stare at it.  :'(

I found the following link and it sold me on Jimmy Lewis: http://www.surfingsports.com/jimmy_lewis.asp

Not too many local shapers where I live haha.

Appreciate the info. everyone.
Ride for life!

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
+1 on the Jimmy Lewis boards. I've been riding the heck out of a Stun Gun in all the good Hurricane surf this year, and it's taken quite a few beatings, but still looks almost new.  Check out this video of that says more about the JL construction than words.     http://youtube.com/watch?v=2LUHpRWtqzY

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »
I smell a Revolution.  Fire up the 4-quadrant product placement chart.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 03:06:31 AM »
Or something smaller than 9'?  BounceSUP, make something 8'6" x 31ish in a simmons-sytle shape and I'm in!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:12 PM »
Plus one on any brand made with PVC sandwich in the Cobra factory.

They are solid as a rock, and often just as heavy but that's not a bad thing for most riders.

I'm soon to take a foray into traditional construction for the reduced weight and I imagine that I'll be back soon.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
I still haven't found a cruising hull that is durable enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
I still haven't found a cruising hull that is durable enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd be stoked if Bic came out with narrower, faster designs in Ace-Tec.  Ditto w/ Bounce SUP.  Sooner or later it will make sense for these manufacturers to do it... hopefully sooner. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
Jimmy Lewis seems to be one of the few manufacturers that shows a cross section of their board construction.  Wonder why more manufacturers don't... ::)

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »
Why have my posts been deleted from this thread?

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »
Jimmy Lewis seems to be one of the few manufacturers that shows a cross section of their board construction.  Wonder why more manufacturers don't... ::)

Most do show layups and cross sections..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal