Author Topic: Garrett's Massive Wipeout.  (Read 4382 times)

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Garrett's Massive Wipeout.
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
I am sure some of you have seen this but I thought it worthy of a post. All surfers who have ridden larger surf know that face he makes at .49. Love him or hate him this deserves some respect.  Some good lessons though on deep breathing before you get pounded.  :o  That is a 12' board so that wave face is around 60' to 70'

Heaviest Paddle Wipeout GoPro Survives Attached to 12ft Dick Brewer Gun
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:45:09 PM by 808 »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Garrett's Massive Wipeout.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »
It's funny.  I've never seen anyone out in large surf with a tape measure and at a certain point there are many other factors well beyond height that make a wave what it is.  What's really notable about this wave is how the peak gets focalized into a beautiful A frame.  There's only a few waves like this at  that magnitude.  The others  being Mavs and here, at Peahi.  Most other large spots have gigantic sections at the initial break.

The best part of this spot in Portugal is the non crowd, unlike here on Maui, where you'll see multiple take-offs on one wave of this size.  It's a zoo and beyond hairy. 

I enjoyed the look on his face and that moment the board is up on the lip.  The GoPro did a pretty cool job for that.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:54:19 AM »
 That had to hurt! Hell; it hurt me just watching it!!!    :(     Glad he's OK...     Paddle on;   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
It's funny.  I've never seen anyone out in large surf with a tape measure and at a certain point there are many other factors well beyond height that make a wave what it is. .  

I just threw that in there for kicks and discussion. Although, I have seen them break out the calipers for the XXL and the world record wave he road. The board just happened to be the same size of my cursor so I did a quick informal measurement for kicks.  The wave jacks up so much that the face is overly exaggerated anyway.  Other elements like cold water and nasty currents and wave thickness play more of a factor that just the size of the wave face.

Another good lesson is to let the fist couple of waves go before you paddle for one just incase you miss it like he did.  The only reason I posted it was the look on his face when he realized he as in trouble. It immediately took me back to situations where I was in the same boat but just a WAY smaller boat.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:23:14 PM by 808 »

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
And I get scared when it's OHx2.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
Play with tigers and you will get bit, eventually.
Keep playing and you'll get bit again.

I love my house cat "Mahi", she just purrrrrs.  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal