Author Topic: gary young's bamboo lamination art  (Read 6912 times)

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
gary young's bamboo lamination art
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:24:32 PM »
as a self taught craftsman i have come to admire the work of gary young. i never met the man but i've been lucky to have developed a conversational friendship with him over the course of a few phone calls.

unknowingly i first became aware of his work while i was deeply enmeshed within skateboard manufacturing circles when a company out of australia started producing bamboo surfboards and skateboards. working in secret at the time, i had managed to develop techniques for reforming bamboo into hollow structures as it was meant to function in nature. so i gave the bamboo board makers a call to see if i could find some involvement with their venture. i went as far as contacting their taiwan counterpart (the wife of the australian manufacturer) and as luck would have it they weren't at all interested in my attempts to assist.

as it turns out these people had wooed gary overseas to glean as much as they could from his process and then proceeded to lock him out of the picture. over time this problem was resolved and the austalian/taiwanese company folded leaving gary only slightly jaded but not surprised. you see, since introducing his initial work of laminating veneer onto foam decades ago, others have followed his path without giving proper credit.

my path has always been a little different though. for three decades i have worked on a skateboard platform that would perform asymmetrically for either goofy foot or regular on the same board (not an easy task). at the same time i nurtured a style of skating which enveloped the fluidity of surfing efficiently harnessing the machine. unfortunately a student of mine took this knowledge and squandered it even after i had assisted him to become successful with his own products. these experiences allowed gary and i a common ground to build our understanding.

while on the big island of hawaii earlier this summer, a mutual friend put us in touch with one another. mike had given gary a motor for a vacuum pump when a fire took out his shop a few years ago. with little time to make arrangements for a proper visit we relied on the phone. gary offering places to catch his handiwork and me dropping hints about the hollow structures i had created in secrecy over time. we entertained the idea that one day we'd have a chance to work together though in my mind i would be honored just to be around.

once back on the mainland i decided to purchase one of gary's bamboo creations. i found a seller in arizona so i thought i'd get pope to bisect it for me to make it travel easy. as it turned out pope didn't do those conversions (any more) and the deal fell through due to the sellers misguidance. speaking to thane pope, i found out that they were soon receiving their latest offering of a stand up paddle board so that is how i came to purchase the first trisect.

i still long for the day to own one of these masterfully crafted bamboo boards of gary's, maybe a sup now, who knows. or better yet have a chance to learn more about the craft from the master himself.

if anyone is interested in one of gary young's creations he can be contacted at: gazaboo@yahoo.com or gazaboo@lava.net

always at your service,
alan
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:47:11 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: gary young's bamboo lamination art
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:00:24 PM »
upon visiting this forum, gary informed me that his new site is just going up at:

www.bamboosurfboardshawaii.com
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:01:47 PM »
Very cool....beautiful work.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supguam

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 06:07:58 AM »
so where can i get some bamboo material for my EPS? Any advise how to apply it with vaccum?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:59:36 AM »
Hi SUPGuam,

Maybe not what you are after, but here is a company that does thier EPS blanks with bamboo stringers.  They offer a bamboo laminating fabric as well.

VERY COOL

http://www.greenlightsurfsupply.com/bamboo_stringers.html
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 08:25:14 AM by Rand »

supguam

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 06:32:10 AM »
Thank you Rand!!! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal