Author Topic: paddling in wind  (Read 14734 times)

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
Re: paddling in wind
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »
We do a lot of upwind to get to our downwind spot where parking isn't allowed. 

Upwind
- Stand in staggered or surfer's stance so your body is at an angle to the wind.
- Short quick strokes (make sure you're using straightish arms so your torso does the work.
- like sailboats - tack - zigzag angle upwind so it's at your side.
- this may be standupzone, but it's ok to sit, kneel, or even better prone paddle, also great cross training to sup.  if sitting, choke up on the paddle (don't use handle), even use long length of shaft/t-grip for kayak style 2 bladed stroke. 
- get the gladiator or like fin.  jeremy riggs has a nice new fin for wind too. 

Sideways
-paddle on opposite side of wind. does get old paddling on one side. 
-bend knees in rough water
-if breaking waves on side, push down on rail by waves while paddling.
-keep paddling, getting tippy? brace and/or paddle.  not paddling makes you less stable. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: paddling in wind
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 05:29:20 AM »
I'm finally learning not to take the wind waves head on, it's better to hit them at an angle to keep the bow above water.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 08:59:36 AM »
Blue Planet Surf has a great video of a clinic they did with Candice and Anthony.
Robert has an excellent website http://zenwaterman.blogspot.com/

paddling into the wind coaching with Candice and Anthony
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

930chas

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »
I love paddling upwind. The windier the better and I disagree with this sentiment 100%. You tack with a sailboat because you are physically unable to go straight into the wind, with a paddle board that isn't the case. So, why basically paddle a further distance in tacking from side to side...still fighting against a side wind as well..when you can work on your stance and stroke and go straight into the wind. Also, tacking on a paddle board not only are you battling with the wind on one side but also swells and waves on that one side. This makes the board more unstable and you spend as much energy paddling against a side wind as you do balancing from a side swell. Going straight into the waves that is not the case. I agree with all the other advice though.

We do a lot of upwind to get to our downwind spot where parking isn't allowed.  

- like sailboats - tack - zigzag angle upwind so it's at your side.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »
Good advice from most and a ditto mostly on the no tacking, except:

1.  If the chop / swell intervals are too close together, you're forced to tack to avoid bouncing and submarining.

2.  If you're 'tacking' to get into a wind shadow, inside the kelp line, etc.

One thing unmentioned is your board design; cutting bow Barks probably just do not paddle well sideoff into the wind.  I just switched off my cutting bow Fanatic and one thing(of many) I've noticed, my new much lower volume piercing surf nose All Star holds it's line much better any direction into the wind.  Of course, it's much narrower, but the cutting bow design just catches wind, chop and swell easier and gets pushed downwind.  Buy one board for all conditions and it's a compromise, buy a board for every condition and you're one of the crazys.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
I agree with 930...a lot of energy is wasted paddling on a tack.

That may also be because I love paddling into the wind and chop. No better workout or training for SUP IMO. It's my balance therapy of choice too. I particularly like 15+ kt onshores kicking up some good chop and whitecaps. Get a tune in your head and use the chop like moguls to paddle out straight into the wind. I don't mind the bouncing and submarining, that's all part of it as far as I'm concerned. I usually do it on my 14 which really bounces, chatters, and bury's the nose, particularly if I just go at it hard. You can choose how to do it though. A lowered stance, flexed legs to ride over the chop smoother, keeping the board down. I'm more power than finesse though. If I'm racing I'm low, otherwise it's a rage against the wind.

You say your not particularly strong...do this often and that will change. 7 kts will be a breeze...literally.

To top it off you get a mini-downwinder as incentive for the hard work.

+1 at looking at fins to help tracking. I just changed the fin in my 14 and it was a huge improvement.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:46:51 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 09:36:09 AM »
I forget one other reason to tack and one that happens to me all the time:

3.  Having to paddle one-sided gets tiring, boring and/or you can cramp up.  I'll tack just to take a brake from one-sided paddling.  I'm betting everyone(sane) does.

Maybe you guys are big enough to power thru anything, but I'm going to go side-off anytime I'm submarining to a stop and getting pushed backwards.  Better to ride side-saddle then get bucked off your board.

I guess I'm more of a 50/50 no tacker.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
If you're going straight into the wind you don't paddle on just one side...or at least I know I can't. Only time I need to paddle one sided is when faced with a quartering or sideon wind. I do occasionally tack in those conditions to change sides and/or put myself in better position to use the wind.
Straight on it is powering through it but it's also about timing. When you get into the rhythm and focus on reading the chop coming at you it can get very zen. You can also pick up a little energy off the back of the chop. Lots of paddle switches to take advantage of them too. I've found myself more than a few times much farther out than I had planned...got lost in the moment.
I also keep thinking about how good it's going to feel when I make the turn. And being big isn't necessarily a help upwind. I make a broad sail. The 2010 Challenge on the Charles was a brutal headwind for a mile on the Cambridge side. I watched as a bunch of the smaller guys I had managed to stay ahead of to that point pass me, I was just barely making headway. I managed to catch some of them on the downwind run but it was a disadvantage to be big there.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Au111

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 01:13:57 PM »
Blue Planet Surf has a great video of a clinic they did with Candice and Anthony.

Some great tips in there - including some stuff I found myself doing in crosswinds that I figured would be considered bad form!  Thanks for posting.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
Last weeks race had us paddling into a 15-18 mph wind with 25mph gusts for 2.5 miles (actually 4km, but mixing units is bad form), the windiest I have raced in. 
Things I knew:
 lower yourself as much as you can within the rules, try get as much of yourself as you can out of the laminar flow and into the turbulent air close to the water surface.   
feather the paddle in recovery to reduce its "sail area".
Work with it if you can, but if your path is directly into it, just get into it and get on with it.  To much energy and time tacking.
What I learned:
My paddle is to big,  The muscles just work to hard trying to move a big blade fast enough to keep forward momentum when there is that much force trying to move you in the other direction.  Better to get less drive per stroke, but more strokes per minute, you tire more slowly.  Much like cycling, gear down and keep your cadence up.  It also took so much force pulling on it that I pulled myself off balance more then once.
Obfuscation through elucidation

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
Good point Celeste. I use a big paddle for workouts and just powering through but if it's a race and much of its upwind I'll go small and when the wind is really blowing feathering your paddle is important. Easiest way for me to cut the wind is to bend at the waist, hard to maintain though. I usually mix it up if its a long way
Bob

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
TN_SUP started the thread asking about paddling 'side on' into wind, hence my exception #3 regarding one-sided paddling.  I kinda side-track my own post with the bouncing and submarining thing.  I paddle flatwater where ski/wake boats can set up standing waves that are impossible to paddle into head-on.  The wind makes it worse, but it really has little to do with paddling into the wind.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: paddling in wind
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 05:30:18 AM »
Are there many ocean races where the course is parallel to the shore and paddlers are fighting the swell from the side? As an inlander my fear is a race course perpendicular to a strong wind - a good strategy is necessary, not sure what it is, may be to just bring your most stable board.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 02:58:14 AM »
I'd say that paddling in a prolonged sidewind the board is a major factor.  Wider and softer rails are important.  Maybe less volume or high rails that get blown off track. 

I also love paddling upwind.  The water version of "earning my turns" in the winter skiing.  Move forwards on the board to keep the nose down, choke up on the paddle to force your body down...so less frontal area.   

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal