Author Topic: Huntington Beach / La Jolla recommendations?  (Read 4289 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Huntington Beach / La Jolla recommendations?
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:43:32 AM »
Heading out to HB and La Jolla for New Year's, will be there for a week, maybe a little longer.  First part of the trip will be in HB then second half will be in La Jolla.  Looking for "must-see" type places, not necessarily SUP/surf related.  Trip advisor and other sites have the usual tourist recommendations but I'm looking for input on other stuff, restaurants, even just cool places to check out scenery-wise.

Also, anyone know anything going on or a good place to spend New Year's eve?  My girl found a dinner cruise type thing that looks fun but open to other options.  Thanks all.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Beach / La Jolla recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:56:13 PM »
Next door to Huntington is Newport Beach.  You can rent an electric boat, and take cruise around the bay.  You get to see a beautiful harbor and some very expensive waterfront homes with boats to match.  Go to www.DuffyOfNewportBeach.com 
During the time you are here, we can get some sizable surf or a storm.  So, a walk on the Huntington pier can be interesting.  I think it is the longest ocean pier on the west coast.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:22:50 AM »
I've posted this picture before. This is La Jolla cove on a macking winter swell. 

I will be out there if we get surf like this come winter!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:11:17 AM »
I can only hope there's waves at least half that good while we're there  :o

Cardiff, have you been to the Beach House for eats?  Any good?  Where can we rent surf SUPs while out there?

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »
Which part of town will you be staying in?

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »
Jean, not entirely sure.  All I know is we're staying at La Estancia in La Jolla.  Not sure where we are staying in HB.  Then we head down to Oceanside for a few days... I'll get the details and post back.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »
The Shorebreak Hotel in Huntington is on Pacific Coast Hwy, with a view of the ocean.  It is downtown and very much caters to surfers.  Nike has bought it out the last few years, during the U. S. Surf Open.
I'm not associated with it, in any way.

srf18

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »
I recommend the Cottage for breakfast while you're in La Jolla. I miss that place and their eggs benedict oh so much.

Great fish tacos at World Famous in Pacific Beach. Pacific Beach Bar and Grill was popular last time I was in San Diego.  Many more bars and restaurants in the same area.

The Gas Lamp district downtown has tons of choices to eat and drink and I expect has options for the New Year.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 08:28:41 PM »
My wife, who is in the VP of sales for a hotel co., said that the Shorebreak is for a younger crowd and very plastic.  She suggested the Hyatt.  It is also on PCH.  It is just a short walk to downtown.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:54:39 PM »
Thanks Steve. We stayed at the Hilton waterfront resort, right next to the Hyatt. Awesome place, easy walk to town, hot tub/pool with ocean view. Couldn't beat it.

Srf18, thanks - was recommended the Cottage by others also, will check it out for sure.  I thought the ocean front bar down the street from me back at home had the best fish tacos.  They would hardly crack the top 5 at this point.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
Cottage closed last week.

Ryder's Club burger in San Clemente for the best burger of your life, by a factor of 11 million.

Amazing Thai / Chinese in Laguna across from Montage "Starfish" ... try the hot fish (Mahi Mahi) or the banana leaf sea bass in a coconut curry...

The traditional dishes are all infused with a bit of craziness... and are big enough to share.

Cheap happy hour small plates too.

Manager's name is Archie.  Tell him that Tim Ryan sent you...

Have fun!

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »
kayadogg.... have a blast... take pictures, and post em when you get back!
Make sure to visit the Encinitas area since you are so close while in La Jolla. Swami's is a must see. The whole area is "surf funky"

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »
Cottage closed last week.

The Cottage in La Jolla??

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 10:17:15 PM »
Si, some trendy west l.a. Restaurant is going in. They are preserving the structure, however.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 05:50:24 AM »
SL, you've been like a custom Frommer's guide for this trip - thank you!

Creek, we walked through the self realization gardens that overlook Swami's, it was beautiful... here's a view from where we were.. I'll post more once we get back.  Didn't see a single stand up out there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal