Author Topic: Can you simply surf a SUP w/o a paddle?  (Read 10675 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Can you simply surf a SUP w/o a paddle?
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »

I was always too clumsy to knee paddle a conventional 9-0 longboard, but it seem these SUPs would lend themselves..like longboards from the 50/60s.  Anybody try it?  Thanks.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Can you simply surf a SUP w/o a paddle?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
they're more stable if you tape the paddle along the bottom of the board with the paddle face vertical.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »
Sure. All the time. My longboard is a SUP board--a JL 11'7". Wait a second, is this a troll question, it's just too obvious.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
It does happen...
When you are riding a wave and you lose your paddle
then you are surfing without one...

Been in some tight barrels where my paddle gets sucked up and twists out of my grip.
I just keep on surfing...

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
Even if it's a troll, I think it's good to note that these damn boards that mess up everyone's lineups, surf fine.

I pushed my wife into waves at Canoe's on a BluePlanet Rental 8'10" rather than rent a longboard and then I took the same board to Pops and had a ball in larger waves with a paddle.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
Sure...my Naish Nalu 10'6" works great for prone surfing.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
Troll?!   ...I'm a fricking water rat like most of you.  I OC1, Kitesurf, Row, skate and paddled out clumsily for 20yrs before I found a kite would pleasure you both directions .. and with a cherry on top; haul ass on glassy, flat water bayside.

I suspect, the paddle blade is radically more efficient in getting you outside vs 2 hands, but I have fond memories of kids being able to motor out on their knees while I am on my belly scratching and wheezing to make it out.  Like my Big Stick/48" Hobie Skate combo, I could appreciate a 2-fer if knee paddling adds to the dimension of using a SUP.  

Jim

... I had this mostly typed before Max and Cowboy replied.  Looks like the truck will need new springs.  Thanks all/Cheers.

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
Sorry, you just fit the profile. First post, very simple question = troll. Welcome, and remember there are no dumb questions...

...just dumb questioners
...unless I say they're dumb
...just dumb answers
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 02:34:45 PM »

Hey guys Jim is no troll :-)

Anyways, yes you can regular surf a SUP. Make sure you get a slimmer SUP otherwise it is hard to get your hands across for real paddling.

Personally I would not do it because I think SUPs are hard to crank a turn without a paddle, but entirely possible. :-)

There are some really nice longboards these days that are much more stable, and has more center distributed volume (who would have thought longboard shapers are picking up traits from SUPs ehh?)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 03:37:03 PM »
Welcome Jim..

You'll find me hanging out here now. I rarely even look at the kite forum anymore

Dwight

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 03:51:26 PM »
Most longboard designers have a pretty set pattern, like ski manufacturers before showboards. Get a Stewart noserider and what can you expect? A big concave section in the nose, v in the back, continuous rocker. Along comes SUP and shakes the rattle can.

I like the way my Jimmy Lewis 11'7" surfs even though it's an early SUP and so it's more like a slightly wide, fairly long longboard. Stability? None that I've ever found. The Starboard 12'2" surfs well too, though just from the tail. Step on a rail and all that happens is that the board tilts. I stunk up the place pretty comprehensively trying to surf on it at Dogpatch. I'm out of practice with it. I swear I used to rip on it--at least in my own deluded mind.

The wife's 11'6" Naish Nalu is a fun board to surf without a paddle. I got ragged on it at Manzanita last year, so I dumped the paddle outside and proceeded to catch beacoup waves though I have to admit my popup was more of a waddle up. Then I went and got my paddle and no one had much to say--probably got tired of seeing me stagger to my feet.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
Definitely do-able.. Great for kids and teaching people to surf. Gives them a super stable platform to learn on.
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
I taught my daughter to surf using an old inflatable SUP.  She rips now.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 06:29:41 PM »
There is a heavy-set older guy at the reef that surfs a 9'0" Sup. "Big Boy Board"

Adolfo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 04:06:58 AM »
Sure.
I have a Naish Nalu 9’6’’ x 26 and I prone surf it when it’s too choppy or too windy to stand on it.
Starboard 12'2 x 26
Naish Javelin 14 x 26
Naish Nalu 9'6 x 28
Starboard Hypernut 7'4 x 30 + foil
Starboard All Star 12'6 x 26

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal