Author Topic: Rack for 2012 Topless Jeep Wrangler to transport SUP Board??  (Read 20842 times)

SupaSnydes

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Rack for 2012 Topless Jeep Wrangler to transport SUP Board??
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
I'm looking for the best product or method to strap a SUP Board to my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport with a soft top.  Most mounts are for hard tops, not to mention, I normally put my soft top down since I live in Arizona and it's sunny over 300 days a year.  My Jeep barely fits in my garage (because of a lift) so I would hope to find a rack that I can remove fairly easy, or if anyone knows of a secure cheap method as well! Thanks for the input guys! :)

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rack for 2012 Topless Jeep Wrangler to transport SUP Board??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
Also interested as I am considering a jeep purchase

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
i used to strap mine to roll bar front and back, and when using race board id use hood windshield latches as extra tie downs. but depends on jeep yr, cj, yj, tj  etc. and roll cage stock or custom.

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »
PONOBILL has a great set up and hopefully will be around shortly to show you his.  In the mean time, try quadratec (SP?)  and see what they have?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:58:29 AM »
One of the reasons why I didn't buy a 2012 Jeep Wrangler during my recent search for a new car. Their new hard top roof won't support racks mounted to them. They have as an add on, two bars that attach at the base of the windshield and loop all the way over to the base of the back window. It looks like an outside roll cage, and totally changes the look of the Jeep. Seeing I carry boards (and boards stacked) almost every day, that killed the Wrangler as a consideration for me. The second thing was their new engine. I never buy first or second year engines, because they haven't worked the bugs out yet. The oil filter and alternator on top is a nice feature though.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »
With the soft top off, I just slip a rack pad over the tip of the windshield frame, and strap the board using the footman loop in the center of the windshield, and around the roll bar above the door.  The rear strap goes around the roll bar. 

For short hops, I've strapped boards on top of the soft top, but I don't like to do it because the top bows just aren't that strong.  My Jeep is a '93 Wrangler Sport, but the concept is the same for newer ones.

For something sturdier that works with the soft top up, consider a light bar (sans lights) that mounts to the windshield hinge bolts, and a T style rear bar that mounts behind the spare tire.  I've seen commercial and custom fabricated versions of both of these, and will eventually go that route on mine sincie it only sees summer use these days, and the hard top is stored for the duration. Check http://www.4wd.com/ for ideas.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
Have a look at a webpage named Quadratec. They have many racks that will work. Like Talldude mentioned they almost look like a rollcage but work great. I have a hardtop drilled to fit my Yakima racks, works awesome. When I go topless I just strap my board to the roll bar and windshield. Make sure and take the doors off. Nothing better than hitting the beach minus doors.
Good luck!

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
I have a jeep  I have racks on the hard top it supports everything just fine. Mine is 2008  I have strapped 3 standup and 2 long boards simultaneously to it.  One of the beauties of having a jeep is there are more aftermarket thing that you can do to the jeep than any other vehicle in the world.  Plus its a jeep  want to go on the jeep jamboree  just do it, want to drive off road around the world fill her and  hit the skinny pedal. I have owned 2 vets 1 viper and  umteem suv's  once you own a jeep  the quirks and abilities and just plain fun to drive  will keep most people coming back.  i saw  a wrangler on 09  i think it had the top off and the boards strapped to the  wind shield and the roll bar.

"One of the reasons why I didn't buy a 2012 Jeep Wrangler during my recent search for a new car. Their new hard top roof won't support racks mounted to them. "  I think that is bs on jeeps part. not yours tall dude.  as for the new motor  well I hear that is good. but i have a lifetime warranty on mine  so maybe if I ever get board I'll swap in a v-8 I think there are at least  8 options for that alone right now.  take a look on the web there will be dozens of solution for your board issue.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?cn=Cargo+%26+Sport+Racks&c=46
Smittybuilt had one for about $300 for older models.  I'm sure there's one out there similar to it for the new jeeps. http://www.wildboarproducts.com/cargoracks.html
Wildboar has some nice jeep goodies too.  Some of their gadgets almost had me buying a jeep for my job as a geologist.  Who doesn't like to work in the shade along the San Andreas Fault?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:02:10 PM by SlatchJim »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal