Author Topic: Best board for a guy my size...and affordable!  (Read 5318 times)

SupaSnydes

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Best board for a guy my size...and affordable!
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
I'm 6'1'' and about 260lbs.  Looking for an affordable board, but also the best board.  I will be using it mostly for calm lakes and cruising.  I've been looking around and I've been told 33" is what I should get for the width.  I have extremely wide shoulders and am top heavy, but also want to improve my balance so it doesn't need to be perfect.  Can't wait for some feedback, thanks!!!  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best board for a guy my size...and affordable!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
That's awfully wide for cruising. I'm about the same size, and my racing and downwinding boards range from 26X12'2" to 27" X 16' and 26" X 14' and 28" X 19'  Even if you're a complete beginner you'll be very comfortable on anything in the 12' X 29" or 30" range. You might fall a bit at first, but it won't take long until you consider that size to be as stable as a dock.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:22:05 PM »
You're right Pono, 260# is awfully wide for cruising. Plugging away might work better? In jest, of course. I just had a friend about the same size and build try the open water for the first time. He's been doing fine in the harbor, but the ocean swell (which was fairly calm) was just too much for him. I know he can stand, his board is huge. Just time on the  water, and he'll be wanting a smaller board.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:27 PM »
While I am much shorter 5'9" I am the same weight. I demoed boards in the 30-35 inch wide range and found them very stable for a beginner on flat water. I bought a 29" wide board and found it equally stable on calm water. The times I have ended up swimming have been due to my not paying attention or practicing buoy turns.
Where are you? With a location people might be able to recommend places to try out boards.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »
Supa
A lot depends on how you plan to enjoy the time spent on your SUP.

If you can see a day down the road, where going faster will be important to you... then by all means, push yourself into a narrow board... you will eventually get used to it.

Conventional wisdom say's that speed is the primary goal of all flat-water paddlers....therefore, you must be on a narrower board.

I disagree. When I paddle flat-water, I am simply in it for the exercise and enjoying the waterways on which I paddle. I prefer a wide board for cruise-ability and comfort. By far, my favorite flat-water board was, 11'2 x 36" wide Starboard Avanti...I wish I still had it. :'(

I am also your size
Sure...I can paddle a 12'6 x 27" wide flat-water board... does that mean I want to? No... I'm not out to go fast, I want to be able to look around, take pictures...
I don't want to "balance"... I want to cruise.

Wide boards are fast enough for the casual paddler ... and you can paddle them all day long.... and take lots of stuff with you.... food, drinks, cameras, phones...dogs...kids

Here's a picture of a friend (200lbs) on my 36" wide Avanti
His first paddle ... ever
He did 4 miles with ease and he never fell in.  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »
I should probably have hedged my comments with the simple fact that I've never owned a board wider than 31 inches until now--my new Kalama board is apparently10'4" by 33" wide. I haven't seen it yet except as a shaped blank, but that's what Boyum tells me.

I did have an original Laird for awhile, and it felt like I was dragging it--not much glide. I paddled a borrowed one in the CCBC--30 miles of glide-less "cruising". Never again. So that's the source of my comments. I assume someone wanting to cruise wants glide, which in my experience means narrower boards..
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »
I agree with supthecreek - It all depends on what you plan to do with it. 

I have sold plenty of Starboard Atlas boards (12'0" x 33") to people similar in size for general paddling on lakes and slow rivers and all of them really like the board. 

As mentioned - not everyone wants / needs to race. 

As for a "work out" - a good 1 hour paddle on a 33" wide board will give you the same benefits as a good 1 hour paddle on a 27" wide board (you will just go farther on the narrower board - providing you don't fall in all the time).
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

supgeek

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:21:23 AM »
I am 6'3 and 250-260 depending on breakfast :)

I looked at a lot of boards online, asked for suggestions here and ended up with a really nice board. I have the Lakeshore Paddle Company River Rover. It is 14', 31" wide. A little heavy at 37lbs, but I am also a little heavy.  ;D

It have been great on flatwater and even on windy days when there has been considerable chop.

I would highly recommend it for a big guy.

SupaSnydes

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys!

The main purpose for the board will be exercise, and to cruise around on the lake.  I haven't considered surfing or going down a river, but maybe in the future it would be fun. 

What about affordable?  Most I see are around $1200, it seems as though this is just what to expect...

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »
I went with a Riviera voyager this summer. Nice and stable great for cruising around on. Thinking about adding an Amundson 12'6" x 29" too. Mostly paddling around lakes that are connected to lake Michigan. Occasionally doing a run with the wind around Ludington or Holland. As many of the veteran paddlers have said, narrow will probably be ok once you get that hang of it. I went with the Voyager because I have a lot o beginners that use it while we are at the condo, or cottage. I personally would have gone with the Amundson or a Starboard pierce touring, if it were only me using it......

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
Sounds like you're about the same dimensions as me...I started out VERY balance challenged so I went wide with a 12 x 33 Starboard Atlas (236l). Stable as a dock, good glide etc , but within a few months I acquired a 14x30 race board with around 300l volume and  I spend most of my paddling time on that or it's DW cousin. For your expected usage sounds like a pointy 14 footer around 29-30" could  be  the go.

That said, I still really enjoy my Atlas, it's so fun and versatile. With a change of fin it's a surprisingly good cruiser-tourer, I've raced it in 'social' classes, I've surfed it up to shoulder high and great fun for my kids and assorted newbies.  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:55:06 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
A board like my 12'6" x 30" Naish Glide would be a good choice.

It's very stable and very well priced.

DJ

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
Dj, I'd love to see that one as a 14'... Not that I could afford one though.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
12'6" Voyager $1,100 (Demos range $849- 899) 10'6" Riviera $785   (Demos range $499-$585).
12'6" Ron House Coastal Cruiser $1,535  (Demos range $999 - $1,299)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:17:00 AM by Tom English »
Aloha,
Tom English

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »
 Exocet has their new Marlin 14' Touring/Race... It's 340 liters of volume (guaranteed to float you) and 30" wide (super-stable). Plus: it's a very competitive board in a race.   :)      Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal