Author Topic: Let's see pics of your favorite flatwater places  (Read 153481 times)

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Let's see pics of your favorite flatwater places
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »
Got in a quick paddle after work last night, our local reservoir water level is low which is typical this time of year.  The boat ramp on side is closed, which gave us 6 miles of serenity to paddle and talk without dodging wakeboat waves, and enjoy the quiet.  We went back in our favorite cove and watched the deer until dark, which comes too soon this time of year.  But it is worth the trade off.  Fall is my favorite time of year to paddle. 

A 3-year old Hala Nass craigslist find was finally put on the water.  After a summer spent on an 11' Isle explorer the Nass felt like it could glide forever.  Not too fond of the older style fins but the price was hard to pass up for someone who has been wanting a Nass for a year now.   

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2016, 09:44:55 PM »

"Termination dust" :D

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 01, 2016, 03:51:28 AM »

Is that near Wasilla?

I was just checking out the surrounding area from the satellite and it looks fantastic.

I'd love to explore some of those fjords and glaciers as well as all the lakes and rivers.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
I've never paddled in flat water before until this last August on this appendix of Lake Tahoe called Emerald Bay.  The whole lake is a wonder of the world.  Also first time paddling with a PFD lashed on the front of the board.  The only thing is, you need to go out early because if the weather is great and it's July or August, there are a ton of speed boats tooling around in no recognizable pattern.  Sometimes they come from far away just to check up out and give you a good dose of chop.  This is looking out towards the entrance of the Lake.  And the sunrise.  Both shots are from my grandson with his G-pro

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 01, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
^ Tahoe is definitely on the bucket list. Really nice shots. Motor boats are a PIA sometimes.

Two pics with my dog Misty. First pic is Summit Creek, and second is Trout Lake.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:59:42 PM by robon »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 01, 2016, 09:08:59 PM »
I've been to Emerald Bay on Lake Tahoe. It's a beautiful place for any water activity.

Thanks for posting your photos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

floridave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2016, 01:14:57 AM »
Love the Lake Tahoe pics.  My Lakeshore Paddleboard Company board is made there and they  post lots of pics from Tahoe that are amazing.  Want to paddle there one day. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

supthecreek

« Reply #262 on: October 02, 2016, 06:56:46 AM »
Thanks for the Tahoe shots.... always a joy to see them... such a beautiful place!

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2016, 10:07:31 AM »
First pic is Summit Creek, and second is Trout Lake.
Robon, Great shots. I found Trout Lake on Google Maps, but not Summit Creek - Where is that?

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »

Is that near Wasilla?

I was just checking out the surrounding area from the satellite and it looks fantastic.

I'd love to explore some of those fjords and glaciers as well as all the lakes and rivers.

Yup. Cottonwood Lake, Wasilla, Ak

This guy does tours - I may have to try Blackstone Bay :D

http://alaskapaddleboard.com/

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
Thanks for the Tahoe shots.... always a joy to see them... such a beautiful place!

Thanks all.  Yes the scenery was staggering but the trip turned into a nightmare with my encounter with ground wasps.  Set me back big time.  I'd recommend going before or after the weather (and I guess water) gets warm and the wasps are in dormancy.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »
First pic is Summit Creek, and second is Trout Lake.
Robon, Great shots. I found Trout Lake on Google Maps, but not Summit Creek - Where is that?

Thanks. I'm thinking of doing a short write up of the Trout Lake Trip. Really cool area. Was thinking of waiting till I paddle the lake end to end (only 25kms), but it still exceeded my expectations as a first timer there. What do you think? Too much too soon? lol. The Kootenay Lake trip was a bit overkill with photos and several weren't good quality.

Anyways, Summit creek is a tributary to the Kootenay River, and is part of the Creston Valley Wildlife reserve. This area is my favourite in the Koots when I want to paddle flat water and view wildlife. I have never been skunked for wildlife here. At the very least you will see Osprey, Blue Herons, Bald eagles, along with many other bird species, and I have come across black bears, moose, elk, deer, fox, coyotes etc on various outings. Grizzlies, wolves and cougars are in the area occasionally, but have never seen them from the water. I saw my first bobcat in BC at the the wildlife reserve two years ago from a canoe, and last year I was about 200 feet from a moose crossing the river and coming out on the opposite bank. Tried to get a pic but wasn't fast enough on the draw.

This pic is a sand bar on summit creek and its as far as you can go upstream before the water gets too shallow. I didn't have my gps going for this, but you can paddle upstream for about 1.5 kilometres from Kootenay river and it's very easy against the current, with some nice pools for swimming along the way.

https://www.crestonwildlife.ca/publications/maps/CVWMA-access-map.pdf
https://www.crestonwildlife.ca/recreation/trails

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:23:02 AM by robon »

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #267 on: October 08, 2016, 09:47:39 PM »
Non rapids sections of Deception Pass State Park, 1.5hrs north of Seattle..
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 08, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »
Non rapids sections of Deception Pass State Park, 1.5hrs north of Seattle..

Beauty. I need to do some travelling. Are the rapids tidal or do you have to go down a river from the coast? 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:21:54 PM by robon »

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #269 on: October 08, 2016, 10:30:34 PM »
The rapids are tidal, accessible via 2 directions depending on flow. We have two ebbs and 2 floods per 24hrs. Rapids can get up to 9kts.  I teach sup tidal rapids classes in there.  Aerial view here of the rapids at a full flood, https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/coastalatlas/tools/ShorePhotos.aspx
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal