Author Topic: Stand up Paddle Sports, WD 8'10 X 32" WARDOG REVIEW  (Read 14618 times)

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Stand up Paddle Sports, WD 8'10 X 32" WARDOG REVIEW
« on: October 05, 2012, 03:26:10 AM »
Has anyone tried one of these boards yet?

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stand up Paddle Sports, WD 8'10 X 32" WARDOG REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
I haven't tried the 8'10" but I do own the 8'6"x 31".

I was looking for a replacement for my SB Hero and wanted something that was quicker down the line and more maneuverable.  Well I got what I wanted that's for sure. The glide is still pretty good for a sub 9' but IMHO, it's leaps and bounds more performance than the Hero. Sometimes I think I should have got the 8'10" because of the stability aspect, but I've only had the 8'6" out a few times so I'm sure I'll get it dialed in pretty soon.

I also tried the Mahalo 10'3"x31" last weekend which I liked so much that I put a deposit down. It will be my waist high and under board. Seems like all his boards with maybe the exception of the One World are really geared toward surfing.

Not sure if Wardog has that board in a demo, but if so, and if it's anything like the 8'6", try it...I think you'll really like it.

HTH...

OC kbar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retributionfitness.com/index.html
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
Hi lunchbox, What is your height and weight. I'm looking at those two boards as well.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
Hey OC,

I'm 6'4" and weigh about 210lbs.

If you have any other questions about the board, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 03:37:51 AM »
do you have a link for the 8'6''?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
Here's some info that I hope will help you guys (and gals) out...
Pretty much if you liked the SB Wide Points...and, the smaller high performance quad + 1's...you'll love these boards...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/09/supsports-new-sup-models.html

There will be several of our sub-9' WD boards competing in Ventura next week...
You'll also see them up and down both West and East coasts...as well as the Gulf...and, points beyond (Canada, Europe, Israel, Brazil...etc) as new distribution channels have been opened up...

Arianna has the new 8'6" x 31" WD in Portugal right now...Jon just got back from Cabo with one...should have pics soon...
Woody has been ripping on the 8'4' x 30" blue acid washed carbon WD at Jalama...says it blows away the carbon 8'5" Pro model he has been on...I'll see if I can get him down to compete next week...oh yeah...Kenny P just sent a testimonial in on the 8'10" x 32"...there are others here:

http://surfingsports.com/customer_testimonials.asp

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 02:12:18 PM »
Wardog, I notice what seems to be two vent plugs on some of these boards. Would you unpack that a little for me?

Looks like great stuff you guys are putting out.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 09:19:12 AM »
Wardog, I notice what seems to be two vent plugs on some of these boards. Would you unpack that a little for me?

Certainly...the double GoreTex air valves are simply added insurance to ensure proper venting on our production carbon boards...the black color of the carbon that shows through the "acid wash" paint does absorb more heat...an extra GoreTex valve is also a $25 option on our custom carbons...as shown below on Willy's latest 9'6" Stoke XXWide...optimized for a high heat and UV geographic area...white paint (no exposed carbon) with nose and tail vent plug installations...

Thanks for the props...we are definitely getting great feedback and support from all over the planet...
Our whole mission is to offer the highest quality...value...and, performance to the discriminating standup paddler and paddle surfer...all at a fair and reasonable price...

This includes our boards (production and customs), paddles, fins, bags, and all of the other accessories we produce...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »

Certainly...the double GoreTex air valves are simply added insurance to ensure proper venting on our production carbon boards...the black color of the carbon that shows through the "acid wash" paint does absorb more heat...an extra GoreTex valve is also a $25 option on our custom carbons...as shown below on Willy's latest 9'6" Stoke XXWide...optimized for a high heat and UV geographic area...white paint (no exposed carbon) with nose and tail vent plug installations...

Thanks for the props...we are definitely getting great feedback and support from all over the planet...
Our whole mission is to offer the highest quality...value...and, performance to the discriminating standup paddler and paddle surfer...all at a fair and reasonable price...

This includes our boards (production and customs), paddles, fins, bags, and all of the other accessories we produce...

Thx for the help! Hope to meet you all soon.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
Wardog, you got any demos up in Ventura tomorrow? If I'm feelin' aright I might make the trip up.

These seem almost perfectly sized for me based on my recent demos of other boards.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
Wardog, you got any demos up in Ventura tomorrow? If I'm feelin' aright I might make the trip up.

These seem almost perfectly sized for me based on my recent demos of other boards.

Aloha surfcowboy...
One of my shop staff (Al)...3 decade Cali lifeguard...is in the finals today on the 8'10" blue carbon...(Legends)...
on the right in pic below...you can ask him between heats...and, I know that there are others that may be there as well...

He let a guy named Dave L. take it for a test ride yesterday...and, he ended up buying one...
I think Jon T. might still be there with his 8'6" WD blue carbon...

Big Will won't be there with his blue carbon Mahalo...got over-ruled by wifey for a 20th anniversary gig...;-)

We are also getting closer to having our full board line available for demo at the shop...hopefully, after our next container lands...hard to keep them in stock...but, we have been accommodating folks on case by case basis in the interim, in lieu of full beach demos...

I also know that Nitzan from Focus/Body Glove SUP has a couple of our boards in his wrapped Sprinter van that he has been accommodating demos for folks with down South...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
Thanks man, you laid out my whole day there. I met Al (and have some video of him coming on Vimeo) and got a look at his board. Crazy light.

I also met the Focus guys are are going to try to hook up with them down here for a demo soon. Also, a zoner has offered to let me try his 8'6" so I'm well covered.

Let me know when that container hits, I'd love to come paddle a couple side by side and the wife, being a UCSB grad, has no issue with a trip up.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
Thanks man, you laid out my whole day there. I met Al (and have some video of him coming on Vimeo) and got a look at his board. Crazy light.

I also met the Focus guys are are going to try to hook up with them down here for a demo soon. Also, a zoner has offered to let me try his 8'6" so I'm well covered.

Let me know when that container hits, I'd love to come paddle a couple side by side and the wife, being a UCSB grad, has no issue with a trip up.

Awesome...please let me know when you get Al's vid together...
He's a great person...dedicated waterman...stoked to have him on our staff...and, in our ohana...same goes for the Focus team as well...

...got a look at his board. Crazy light.

...and strong...and good looking...and affordable...and comes with the best paddling and surfing fins on the planet...;-)

Our next production run of acid washed carbons is well under way...new colors coming...;-)
...and, we still have a few of the wood veneer versions...definitely let me know when you are heading up to the shop...or, if there is anything else we can try to do regarding a demo...we are a short walk to the beach...

Our shop is also on the Urban Wine Trail...

http://www.urbanwinetrailsb.com

Pali Wine is spitting distance...

http://www.paliwineco.com/

and, the best deli in SB is across the street...;-)

http://www.metrofinefoods.com/

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »

and, the best deli in SB is across the street...;-)

http://www.metrofinefoods.com/

Amen to that! We ate there several times when we stayed in SB.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »
Hey Wardog!

Good showing at Ventura.  I took the day off Friday for a surf and was gonna take in the early heats first, but decided things looked to nice at Mondos/Pitas so I switched the order.  For once, I think my plan was the right one.  By the time I got down to CStreet you guys had packed up and left Will all by himself to tough it out in the wind and slop.  I'll be looking for that container with demos to come in.  Just bought my wife something shiny for the 20th Anniv, but I may take mine in brushed carbon ;-).
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard