Author Topic: Quad vs 2+1  (Read 8408 times)

CowichanSUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Quad vs 2+1
« on: September 25, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
This topic confuses me.  My Hobie Torque can be run as a quad or as a 2+1.  I have it setup as a quad and it is awesome.  I really can't see how it could be better with a 2+1.  I haven't tried the 2+1 yet mostly because the +1 is a really big sh!t looking fin.  The quads I am running are smaller than I think typically go on a SUP http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=232&largeimg=5fins_v2f4_full.jpg...they didn't have a quad set that I liked so I went with the 5 fin and didn't use the center fin.

So, for me to try out the 2+1 with the type of setup that I think I'd like I would need to buy a smaller center fin...why could this not have just come with a Future fin slot for the center fin!  I don't really want to do that if the quad is a better setup.

But then I see what appears to be most of the Pros with a 2+1 setup going on, even if you look past the SUP Pros and look at the prone Pros.

What do we think on this?

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Quad vs 2+1
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »
My 10-3 by 33 is much looser as quad, tracks better as 2+1 with bigger center fin.  Depending on the spot, and distance I need to paddle, I may prefer one set up over the other.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
You can put almost any sized center fin in a longboard fin box, from a 2" nubster to a 12" race fin.  2 + 1 generally refers to a larger center fin and smaller side bites, but you can just as easily configure it as a traditional thruster (3 same sized fins), or a Twin-fin plus small stabilizer .  I'd hate to buy a board with a standard futures surfboard box in the center rather than a much more adaptable longboard fin box.  

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
You have to try it to fully understand it.  I believe some boards are set up better for quad while others better for tri.  It also depends on your style of ride.  I usually always ride quad but I am so excited to move back to a 3 fin (small center, not a big one).  I was on my 7-10 quad today and I swapped with an 8-0 tri-fin, what a difference.  Just a different way of riding the wave.  It was super loose and would flick around on command.  You sacrifice some of the drive but the tri does hook easier.  I will be riding my soon to be new board as a 3 fin.  I don't have a preference yet as it's just fun to switch it around.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
I ride my 10'3 34 as a quad I like it  better than a three fin or a five fin
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

CowichanSUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I figured I'd get mostly it is a preference thing or just go and try. 

I have seen the nubsters a few times now.  I think that is what I am going to try with quad setup.  Seems close to what I like now and we will see how it changes things.

Saw this article about Kelly Slater trying out the nubster.  http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/blog/_/post/7119037/kelly-slater-fifth-wheel Likely in Kelly's case he rides so much that anything to mix things up will give him some increased stoke.  Hence the quad, thruster and the quad nubster set ups.

I'm going to make one from an old wave windsurf fin.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:58:24 PM »
So far from what I can tell a quad setup likes to stay flatter and doesn't trip up as easy to works better in mush, however, when I bottom turn it leaning hard on the rail, two outside fin aren't enough and it "schooches" out, and/or pivots too quick and loses speed. Seems a thruster setup with a bigger middle fin can handle those larger g-turns, but trips up easier in the foam, probably because the center point has more lateral resistance at the center of gravity and thus acts as a pivot rail to rail when you don't want it to.
Don't forget to bring a towel!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:37 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I figured I'd get mostly it is a preference thing or just go and try. 

I have seen the nubsters a few times now.  I think that is what I am going to try with quad setup.  Seems close to what I like now and we will see how it changes things.

Saw this article about Kelly Slater trying out the nubster.  http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/blog/_/post/7119037/kelly-slater-fifth-wheel Likely in Kelly's case he rides so much that anything to mix things up will give him some increased stoke.  Hence the quad, thruster and the quad nubster set ups.

I'm going to make one from an old wave windsurf fin.

With some quad fin placements, you are limited as to how it performs. You can throw every combo of fins at it, and you'll never find the right feel. On others, you can get every kind of feel, from a thrustery feel to full on quady feel. When you get a board like that, you're golden. Thus, the wide range of opinions on quads.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »
If you like it loose the 2+1 isn't for you (give better projrction down the line) I would try a true Thruster (even sized fins) or something REAL fun is the "nubster" a 5th fin aka Kelly Slater style adds a whole new dimension to loose and fast

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
So far from what I can tell a quad setup likes to stay flatter and doesn't trip up as easy to works better in mush, however, when I bottom turn it leaning hard on the rail, two outside fin aren't enough and it "schooches" out, and/or pivots too quick and loses speed. Seems a thruster setup with a bigger middle fin can handle those larger g-turns, but trips up easier in the foam, probably because the center point has more lateral resistance at the center of gravity and thus acts as a pivot rail to rail when you don't want it to.

Try using deeper side fins. I use six inch  fins in front  that works really well.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »
Pros need reliable performance for scoring, but (most of) the rest of us are looking to have fun on the water. This is why you should not try to blindly emulate what pros ride...

Personally, I hate 2+1, it gives you the worst of the thruster (slowness) and the worst of the single fin (latency under the rear foot). But I understand that having a single setup for all conditions is important for the pros. Boards are efficient in contests with it but feel "dead".

I advise beginners to go single fin, and they are amazed by the speed of their boards and the maniability. And once they begin to crank turns, I advise to go thruster (3 fins the same size) or quad. Just say no to 2+1 :-)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »
when I bottom turn it leaning hard on the rail, two outside fin aren't enough and it "schooches" out, and/or pivots too quick and loses speed.
It's the fin placement doing that. Try Slaters McKee placement. Far more adjustable in feel and drive than edge quad setup in my opinion.  I love McKee placement.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill