Author Topic: ISUP pumps for small people  (Read 8128 times)

LpSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ISUP pumps for small people
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
My fiancé has a SHUBU with a recommended inflation pressure of 14 psi. The board pumps up to shape in 100 pumps of the Boardworks supplied pump. This gets the board to about 4 psi. She can get the board to around 9 psi with 100 additional pumps but the last 50 pumps are pretty hard for her. She is 5' tall and weighs 94 lbs. Are there other other pump options that would make this task easier for her?

SUPra

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ISUP pumps for small people
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:34:24 AM »
Electric pump that ULI sells would work great. My friend uses that on his shubu, he had to make adapter though since the fitting is different.
http://www.uliboards.com/product/electric-pump

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:31:52 AM »
I have had a Samoa and C4 iSup and used a K100 pump to top it off.  No matter what a small person cannot get those boards much over 9PSI with the supplied pump.  The K100 pump is a top off pump for rafts. However, someone on this forum emailed me that the K100 was not working with their Hobie inflatable so not sure it will work with all. 

The best pumps out there are the Uli pumps.  You can buy a Uli floor pump and but on an adapter for the Shubu valve.  The Uli pumps are made by EZPump, just adapted for a floor model.

I am 5'7" 110 lbs and have a ULI that I can easily pump to 20PSI with the floor pump.

Cheers, Jill

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:35:20 AM »
I have used a larger raft pump, that is taller with a larger diameter and they seem to pump up paddle boards so much faster, and much easier. Not sure if putting more volume of air through valve is good, but valves can be replaced. I would much rather save my strength for actually paddling. Plus larger pumps seem to work better for woman and children. The Uli pumps look to be much larger then most of pumps that come within package deals.

Badfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
Larger raft pumps will not pump an Isup to 14 or 15psi. Its very hard to force that much pressure with a barrel that is high volume. Kpump's don't work very well either unless you get the new one that has the high pressure/low volume setting: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1723 We have burned out 3 of the Bravo car battery pumps this summer in not very high volume usage. The guys at CKS have a new adaptor they created that attaches to a bike floor pump (low volume/high pressure). This makes a ton of sense, they are sending one down to me tomorrow to check out. I will post photos. My take is the single action pump that comes with board still works better than most of the other options. If the bike pump adaptor works then maybe the best bet is pump the board to 8 or so with the supplied pump and top off with a bike pump.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »
I got impatient waiting for Badfish to report on the CKS adapter:)  So... I made my own with help from CKS, but it would have been cheaper if I just bought the adapter from them (they call it the "Traveler Inflater" on their website).  Bottom line; it works great with a bike floor pump and is a must have item.  Works with hand pumps too, so great for touring, but it's going to take a lot of pumps to get those extra PSIs.  Mine has the H3 valve connector ("Short H-R Fill Adapter" on CKS for Starboard, Naish, C4, Boardworks etc) and locks in.  The only problem is getting an accurate reading with a high pressure bike pump gauge.  I know mine is not because I use it top off my car tires.  I am going to swap a low pressure gauge onto a bike pump or Y connect it to the adapter next.  I'll post pics if I get it all sorted out.

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
more and more inflatable SUP brands now come with the "BRAVO SUP pump":

how to easily pump airSUP to 15psi, inflatable SUP paddle board inflate with hand pump

we have been supplying this pump with our boards in Japan and Australia for a while now, with a little practice even smaller people can do it.
(the pump is pretty well designed and low maintenance compared to some older double action pumps)
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:19:48 PM »
Yes, that's that same pump as my Starboard pump.  Unfortunately my gauge never stays pegged as in the video and you still need a bit of weight to 1/4 pump it up to 15PSI.  I want my board about 18PSI and that's when it gets even more difficult.  These pumps were just not designed to get those extra PSIs.  The adapter makes those last few PSIs like pumping up a bike tire easy, although it's more like 5 - 10 bike tires.  The other cool thing about the adapter is bulk and weight.  You can skip taking your big pump on trips and pack a much smaller and lighter bike pump.  Plus anywhere there are cars in the world you'll find a compressed air source.  Starboard was showing a new pump for 2013 at the Surf Expo with a narrower body and I can't wait to get my hands on one of those.  See it at about 2:50.

Surf Expo 2012- Starboard Inflatable SUP's- 2013 Product Preview by Dan Gavere

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal