Author Topic: Any knowledge/ experience with plastic boards?  (Read 8905 times)

SUP WITCHU

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any knowledge/ experience with plastic boards?
« on: September 23, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
Im researching my first SUP purchase. My only SUP experience is the week I spent on a rented Ace-Tec and I loved the core workout I got.  Im 6ft tall and weigh 210 lbs.  I live on Lake Norman in NC.  Almost all of my time will be spent on flat water. The plastic boards with a Kayak seat really peak my interest, however I cant find many reviews on them.  The primary purpose of the board is exercise.  I love that idea of paddling into the wind while kayaking and standing up with the wind and SUPing; or just changing pace when you get tired.  The boards have storage and it looks loks like I may be able to store a yak paddle while I SUP and vic-versa.  I also saw a compromise paddle that can be used for both, SUP and yak w/ a removable paddle and handle.  Does anyone have any experience with these boards?  The two that look promising to me are the Nalu 12.5 and the Imagine Surf Speeder, with the speeder looking like a better SUP and the Nalu being a better yak.  Do these boards SUP as good as a fiberglass board?  Imagine Surf claimes the speeder is their fastest non race board.  They are definitely heavier than a fiberglass board, but I will only be carrying it for a very short distance.

Any input would be appreciated. 

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any knowledge/ experience with plastic boards?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »
I had an Imagine surfer for a bit, and other than the weight, it wasn't a bad board at all.  It wasn't a performance surfing board, but was great on flat water and could get some small mush to ride to shore.  The durability is great for someone who is getting into the sport, and your friends and family will want to get out on it also.  The surfer's price is good also.  Hope some of this helps.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
Board weight is an issue paddling, not just carrying it.  Heavy is not much fun. Those plastic skin BICs can last just as long. 20 year old windsurfers still in use today with same BIC construction.

SUP WITCHU

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
Thats a good point DW.  I wasnt thinking much about the extra weight in the water and its effect on performance.  Fark, thanks for the input, Im sure the durability of the speeder is similiar to the surfer.

whitewater girl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
I have the Ocean Kayak Nalu 12.5...board is stable & alot of fun. It does, however, weigh in similarly to a sit-on-top kayak (@50 lbs), and I find it slow compared to the BIC Ace Tec 11'6".

Also, the "channels" on the deck rather restrict your stance options (beginer's even hip-width stance is just fine, but more advanced, stagger-footed & "T" stances are more difficult) (the flip side - the channels allow me to paddle the board kneeling through river rapids with great control & no sliding)...

...board is nice in sit-on-top mode, but again is no speed-demon (and has no attachment points for thigh straps - I had to add those)

I thought the Imagine Surf Speeder looked nice too, but wanted to try before buying & couldn't find one within reasonable driving distance...

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:47:54 PM »
If you can get any of those ACE-TEC boards near you, I'd actually recommend that over the roto molded ones.  I think you'll like it better over time.  Forgot to add that in my previous post.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:06:18 AM »
I also have an Imagine Surfer, so here's what I think of it.

It's not a good workout and distance board. The short/wide design forces you to make quicker, smaller strokes and change sides about every 4-5 strokes. When I paddle it for distance I keep wanting a longer board.

On the other hand, it's a wonderful ‘fun’ board. It's my favorite board for having fun with my family. It's great for teaching friends. I can take a kid on the back for family adventures. It's also perfect for exploring the little rocky coves around where I live. I love this board for that reason. It's the board I feel safest putting a kid on.

I was recently in the local paper on my board. A neighbor and I took our three kids out on the Hudson with that board and a couple of kayaks. I have my son's friend behind me. I like how the caption calls the board a “standup kayak”.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SUP WITCHU

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
Thanks for the input Whitewater Girl and Ichabod. I need to probably test some of these boards. I am not looking at the surfer, Im considering the speeder, which is a little longer, heavier and has a bow and hull like a yak. It should track much better than the surfer. Great newspaper clip!

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
We have a dozen of the Nalu 12.5's in our Rental Fleet.
I tested every Plastic Sup I could before I made a decision
on these. They have pretty good Glide and will float someone
to around 260#. The Kayak Seat adds more flexibility for those
who want to kayak or when it gets too windy you sit down to
paddle. Yes they are heavy.  We have the interchangeable Sup/Kayak Paddle,
it works fine for beginners.

They are Priced at $750.00 for the Board.

You can see pictures of them here on our Rental Site.

http://www.meetup.com/Huntington-Harbor-Stand-Up-Paddle-Boarding/

Hope that helps.

Ralph
Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com

www.HBSUP.com

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »
I have 2 of the 11' Ocean Nalu's.
They are just as fast as my 11' Hulakai surf type SUP and they track about the same. I have them mainly for guest to try out/touring. Comfortable with lending them to family & friends & don't have to worry about damaging them like a standard SUP.
 Little lighter at 38-40 lbs than the 12.5's and I think they are more durable than the Bic's.

The con is, folks over 200lbs feel more comfortable/stable on the 11' x 32" surf SUP than the 11' Nalu's.

My hope with the a seat option hybrid, was that my wife would be more likely to get involved with paddling.  No luck so far  :-\
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:43:33 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
Check this paddle out from HALA. Its a SUP paddle but with two blades and a unique hand grip on one blade for SUPing. Used one a month ago and it was super light and my girlfriend loved it cause she could paddle like a kayak when windy.
http://halagear.com/products-2/

SUP WITCHU

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »
That paddle looks like a great idea. Can u take the T handle off if u want?

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »
I do not think the handle comes off, but it never gets in your way. I used it all day a few weeks ago both stand up and on knees, and it never seemed to get in the way. Paddle breaks down and is adjustable too, so I assume you could take paddle off and attach a normal handle, if they sold that. I will talk to owner of the company, he literally lives 100 feet away from my place, and see what he is going to do for 2013.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal