Author Topic: Paddle straight!  (Read 17941 times)

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Paddle straight!
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:13:56 AM »
I just wanted to post a technique that I discovered on my last session.

My board is a 9'8" quad, so it does not track very well at all. When I first started, I had to switch sides paddling every few strokes to avoid paddling in circles.. I noticed recently that when paddling on my right side, I could paddle without switching almost indefinitely, barely veering left at all. But I was still veering badly when paddling on my left.

After messing around trying to figure out what the difference was (trying J strokes, & other variations & paying attention to how I was stroking on my right), I discovered that I was beginning my stroke with the paddle angled towards the board.

I tried to replicate the stroke on my left, and it works!

Basically, just start your stroke with the blade twisted so that the face is angled towards the board at about 45 degrees or so. Then as you pull back, gradually twist it back to 90 degrees as the blade comes even with your feet. Basically just like a J stroke, but going from + 45 to 90 instead of 90 to - 45. The movement is actually pretty natural, but it does take a bit to get used to the different torque on your body.

Anybody else using this technique? Or variations?

-dooner

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle straight!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:51:47 AM »
hey now dooner... i think this is very similar but the opposite to the way i've been angling my paddle to make minor corrections. i posted about it in the "how do you turn?" thread. i tried to do as you are describing but it didn't work for what i was trying because in fact i was attempting to effect a turn. you may have something for going straight though, but i would have to give it a proper test to be sure.

what occurs to me is that by paddling in the manner which you describe you would be pushing water under the board in a direction which is contradictory to the flow created by the water following its foil. this may be either an advantage or a disadvantage, i'm not sure. hey, if it works, who am i to question it anyway.

we're always at some point of discovery.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »
Hi Shapeshifter

I saw your post about angling the paddle, I agree that it's the same thing but for different ends.

One of the things I find this very useful for is stroking hard for a wave. Before, I was having problems either turning to far (paddling for a right and veering off to the left by the time I caught the wave) or else having to switch sides in the middle of paddling into a wave. now I find I'm messing up my takeoffs a lot less since I can paddle in my surf stance with my paddle on one side only.

Also remember that my board does not track very well, so it needs constant input to go straight. Some boards track so well, that it's hardly an issue.

-dooner

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 03:10:54 PM »
dooner: can't wait to give this a try.  one of my biggest problems is just as you say: having to switch paddle sides while paddling for a wave or staying on one side and veering off such that the wave becomes impossible to catch.  using the j stroke to keep on a straight line hasn't worked very well for me.  i hope the dooner stroke does better.  thanks!

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »
You can also try rail pressure. Same side as paddle for flat bottoms, opposite side for vee entry boards.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 07:12:52 PM »
ALLEN

You hit the nail on the head for me, at least. I found out  that if I apply a little pressure in my toes (Same side as my stroke) which tilts the rail on a slight angle just a bit that keeps me tracking straight. I can paddle on one side or the other for several strokes. This also helps me when catching waves too. I use to over-turn too while paddleing into waves. I'd miss the wave, bury the outside rail and become off balence  causing me to slow down and mis-judge the wave. (ie.. fall too) . After trial and error and flat water paddles I discovered this technique. Now it has become second nature to me.  When alternating strokes from port and starbord sides I do try to keep a vertical paddle thru the stroke. That helps also to keep a straight line. As you angle the paddle thru the stroke you tend to sweep during the follow thru which causes you to push the nose away from the stroke , Thus turning.  This is what I observed during my many sessions.
     This shot was Tues 8-21  with my new C4 2pc paddle. Very light compaired to the wooden JL paddle. Althought the C4 is 8.5" width blade the lighter weight  still thrusts me a top the board the same as the larger heavier blade. A good session, but every go out is a great session.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:16:43 PM by gjbsup »
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 03:07:17 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I tried this last time I was out, because I had the same problem of turning when paddling . Your tip worked flawlesly. I can go straighter, longer, without having to re-adjust. Thanks.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 05:24:46 AM »
btw, gjbsup, great picture -- looks like you got things wired!

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 08:31:53 AM »
  Thanks....  It may seem that way but at times I'm still humbled. I'll bury a rail or nose, catch an edge, become off-balance in a swirl of mixed up chop on the inside. Try to turn and catch the wave and have it roll underneath me.  I'm still human   As I mentioned before, Every session is a learning experience.  Lovin' it
   Here is a shot of 'gjbsup' riding a small wave on youtube. My 15 seconds of fame...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCdsQ9U6nw
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 10:37:28 AM »

...Basically, just start your stroke with the blade twisted so that the face is angled towards the board at about 45 degrees or so. Then as you pull back, gradually twist it back to 90 degrees as the blade comes even with your feet. Basically just like a J stroke, but going from + 45 to 90 instead of 90 to - 45. The movement is actually pretty natural, but it does take a bit to get used to the different torque on your body.

I tried the Dooner technique on Saturday and I think I'm missing something.  When I start at 45 degrees to the board, my paddle wants to slide out away from me.  To keep the stroke straight my bottom hand is fighting the slideout and expending more energy than switching from side to side.  Am I missing something here?  This is mostly likely me being a bumbly but any insight would be good.

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
climbbikesurf-

It does feel a bit awkward at first, and giving the paddle too much angle will use more energy since you are turning some of your paddle power to the side to keep going straight. The stroke I'm using is to sort of keep my lower hand more or less in the same spot, and push the top of the paddle forward rather than pulling my lower hand back like a canoe stroke. When doing the angle stroke, (say paddling on the left side of the board) my right (upper) hand pushes across from right to left and forward at the same time for the power stroke.

The stroke does impart a torque to your body, that's what is keeping you going straight! The lower you can get your bottom hand, the better & easier it is, I think.

That said, this is far from an established technique, it's just something that I noticed I was doing unconsciously & thought I'd share.

-dooner

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 02:06:45 PM »
For paddling straight, Dooner, I think you nailed it on the head  when you said "it's just somehting that I noticed I was doing unconsciously.." That's it right there!

To learn to paddle straight, you just go for it and take the time to paddle, paddle, paddle. Just like when you learned to surf on a prone paddle board, or ride a bike, if you over analyze it too much, you just get frustrated, but if you just forget about the technicalities of the sport and PLAY IN THE WAVES, it'll come and you'll be having more fun than a barrel of monkey in an banana pie factory....even if you're falling off over and over again.

Everyone's body is built a little bit differently and everyone's paddle and surfboard is shaped different, and ocean currents and swells are always changing.  It's great to read up on what works for other people. I do it constantly. I'm asking and observing others all the time for ways to improve my technique. But, I don't think there is a sure-fire paddling technique that'll get everyone going straight from the get go.

Just paddle, paddle, paddle, and, like Dooner said, you'll subconscoiously start doing what it takes to go straight in any conditions. Your body will strengthen those muscles it needs and you'll be paddling straight like it was nothing.

My first board was a high performance shape and I didn't think I would ever get that thing paddling straight. I put some huge fins on it to stabilize it and keep it going straight while I was learning. After a few sessions, I felt restricted by those big fins. I down sized to smaller fins, and then to smaller ones, on the board that was bucking me off and drifting all over the place at first. Now, I can paddle straight where ever I need to go with that board. Now, I'm dreaming up something even shorter and squirrely.

It's amazing what the boyz and girlz are riding over here in Hawaii. They're truly ripping on these short little stand up boards...and it's becuase they paddle paddle paddle.

In short, keep a smile on your face, try new things, don't be afraid to fall off, and put in the paddling time it takes to train your body and mind to keep your board going straight. Try bending your knees this way, then that way, and putting your feet over here and over there, then try changing your grip on the paddle, and switching up your posture. Soon enough, others will be asking you how you paddle so straight, and you'll say, "I don't know...I just do it. Keep paddling."

Paddle...smile...surf! Much Aloha! -Nate
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 02:31:33 PM »
...The stroke I'm using is to sort of keep my lower hand more or less in the same spot, and push the top of the paddle forward rather than pulling my lower hand back like a canoe stroke...

Now that you mention it when I first started on SUP, I kept my bottom hand stable and pushed with my upper hand.  Lately I've switched to pulling with both arms since I can get more force into it.  I'll try it out again next time with your comments.  Thanks for the advice.

Mike

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 02:51:53 PM »
Everyone's body is built a little bit differently and everyone's paddle and surfboard is shaped different, and ocean currents and swells are always changing.  It's great to read up on what works for other people. I do it constantly. I'm asking and observing others all the time for ways to improve my technique. But, I don't think there is a sure-fire paddling technique that'll get everyone going straight from the get go.

Just paddle, paddle, paddle, and, like Dooner said, you'll subconscoiously start doing what it takes to go straight in any conditions. Your body will strengthen those muscles it needs and you'll be paddling straight like it was nothing.

Paddle...smile...surf! Much Aloha! -Nate

Exactly  ;D

-Jonah

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 06:45:50 PM »
...The stroke I'm using is to sort of keep my lower hand more or less in the same spot, and push the top of the paddle forward rather than pulling my lower hand back like a canoe stroke...

Now that you mention it when I first started on SUP, I kept my bottom hand stable and pushed with my upper hand.  Lately I've switched to pulling with both arms since I can get more force into it.  I'll try it out again next time with your comments.  Thanks for the advice.

Mike

Try pushing down with your top arm (WHICH SHOULD STAY STRAIGHT) as you unwind and stand up with your bottom arm. Watch video of outrigger stroke and go from there.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal