Author Topic: Pau Hana Crossfit vs Naish Glide Javelin 12'6  (Read 6665 times)

OPS UP

• Waikiki Status
  • Steve Scherrer ACA SUP L/2 ITE
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pau Hana Crossfit vs Naish Glide Javelin 12'6
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »
Just wondering what folks think of these 2 boards for touring bays, choppy water and some offshore touring.  I live on WA coast.  NO racing involved.

or what else fits?

fwiw- I have a C4 TGIF (early production prototype) that I like, tho it's a little high strung sometimes.

Thanks!
 Steve
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:15:14 AM by OPS UP »

bluecoast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pau Hana Crossfit vs Naish Glide Javelin 12'6
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:55:08 AM »
If you're not racing you probably wouldn't need to go as narrow as the Jav.  I have a 12'6" Glide (30" wide) and I absolutely love it...stable and fast.  I'm a pretty small guy (5'6" 140lbs) and I kinda wish I went with the Jav for a little more speed for racing, but the Glide is an amazing board for flatwater touring if that's all you're interested in...it's a cheaper than the Jav too!

That said, I've never ridden a Crossfit or a Jav, but I just wanted to throw one more board into the mix to confuse you even more :P

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:11:16 AM »
I agree with bluecoast. The 12’6” Glide is an awesome board. I'm 5'11'' 165 lbs. I have done downwinders in waist to chest high swells and the board was super stable. On flat water it glides and tracks very well. We do sell Naish and this is my board of choice for demos because it is such a stable board. As one first time paddling customer said “it is like stand on a dock”. They could not believe how stable it was. When you get into mid shin chop coming at you the nose cuts through the chop real nice and pops right back up. A guy I paddle with is 6’3” 245 lbs and it floats him no problem also. Hope this helps. I have not ridden the Crossfit.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
I did a demo of the Hana for about 10 minutes, not exactly defining. I found the board pretty standard touring style. The weight was average as well. Not down playing the board, just felt like I have ridden the same shape before.

The 12,6 Glide was in the family fleet for a few months. Very interesting board, great glide, and super stable. The ast is heavy and the only reason was sold is my wife could not get it on the car with the wide rails and small hands. Cheers

bluecoast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
The AST is definitely heavy. It takes some effort to get it loaded up on my 4Runner and my wife definitely can't load it. Once hear the sound of the water slicing through the water and peeling off the hull it's all worth it!

DJ did a nice photo and video review of the Javelin and the Glide...his review is one of the reasons I bought the board.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

OPS UP

• Waikiki Status
  • Steve Scherrer ACA SUP L/2 ITE
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
thanks.  nice video tho the ending was pretty anti-climatic!   ;)  I paddled the Jav in pretty rough conditions and found it pretty forgiving given it's 28" beam.  tooo wide and they get bopped around more in chop.  it's a fine line, fer shure!

steve

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal